The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

as you can see *points to various messages and signature* I am TERRIBLY proud to have an offer.

Speaking of which, how's everyone else doing? Interllectuallity? Itsalion00? Hummel?
come on guys, let's hear those offers!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 61
Nope, still waiting. But I see you also have an offer from Edinburgh. How do you have all the offers that I am waiting for? How is this?
itsalion00
Nope, still waiting. But I see you also have an offer from Edinburgh. How do you have all the offers that I am waiting for? How is this?

mwahaha, because I snuck into your UCAS account and stole them! :yep:

honestly? it's because, for Edinburgh at least, i didn't apply for Philosophy, I applied for a tiny course called Mind and Langauge that hardly anyone applies for.
And also, i already have my A-Levels, which probably helps a bit. Plus I applied in October? there are so many factors, but honestly, it means absolutely nothing. maybe they look through the applications apphabetically....or reverse-alphabetically...or maybe they choose people with silly surnames first? who knows!

but you will recieved those offers, you will! you ALL will!!!!!!
Reply 63
milliethephilosopher

And also, i already have my A-Levels, which probably helps a bit.

I think that's a big part of it, since there doesn't need to be any decisions over what conditions to put on the offer

I've also got my A-levels, and I got an offer on Jan 15th (and it was hinted at before then)
Reply 64
I also have mine and I even applied the month before, September. Saving the best till last I guess?
itsalion00
I also have mine and I even applied the month before, September. Saving the best till last I guess?

haha, definitely! out of interest, what A-Levels/GCSE grades did you get?
Reply 66
GCSE - 4A* 6A

And I didn't actually do A-Levels, I did the IB (unfortunately) and ended up with 37.
aha, well your GCSEs are the same as mine, and the IB is definitely preferable to A-Levels, so - to be honest - unless your PS was pants, I think you should almost be guaranteed a place. My fingers are crossed for you, mate, they really are!
milliethephilosopher
as you can see *points to various messages and signature* I am TERRIBLY proud to have an offer.

Speaking of which, how's everyone else doing? Interllectuallity? Itsalion00? Hummel?

Nope still waiting , and this wait is seriously killing me:mad: , i check without fail every single day. I beginning to feel the need to give them a call. I am definietely not waiting until march 31st.
interllectuallity
Nope still waiting , and this wait is seriously killing me:mad: , i check without fail every single day. I beginning to feel the need to give them a call. I am definietely not waiting until march 31st.

:frown: poo
well, i don't think they'll make you wait that long. Possibly they do it in batches and it's just bad luck that you're nearer the bottom of the pile. Is anyone here going to an open day, out of interest?
Reply 70
milliethephilosopher

Nothing yet, still waiting :frown:
Reply 71
Jormungandr
Wow, a lot of people for philosophy this year...

If any of you have questions about the course here, I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge (taking into account I am a first year, of course...)

How many essays do you have to do?

Apparently at Durham they only get 2 every year..... :s-smilie:
anna_c_100
How many essays do you have to do?

Apparently at Durham they only get 2 every year..... :s-smilie:

In the first year, generally two per semester per module. The exception is the second semester module 'Reasoning and Knowledge', where one of the essays is replaced by a class logic test.
Jormungandr
In the first year, generally two per semester per module. The exception is the second semester module 'Reasoning and Knowledge', where one of the essays is replaced by a class logic test.

class logic test? how exciting!
Provided that one understands the basics, how hard on a scale of one to ten would you rate this test?
milliethephilosopher
class logic test? how exciting!
Provided that one understands the basics, how hard on a scale of one to ten would you rate this test?

I've not done it yet - it's the module we're on now, and it started about a week ago. We're not even on the formal logic element of the course yet but judging from the difficulty of the course in general I expect it'll be very straightforward. I'll keep you posted.
Reply 75
Jormungandr
judging from the difficulty of the course in general I expect it'll be very straightforward.

Is the course not very challenging?
anna_c_100
Is the course not very challenging?

I find it easy, but that's not particularly representative of anything much. I know some people who find the course very difficult. To be honest, it gets very difficult if you dig particularly deep, but it's not in principle that hard to understand on the surface if you have the kind of mind that is good at that stuff. Some people don't and find it appropriately hard.

Also keep in mind that 1st/2nd year courses generally are less challenging simply because a lot (i.e. the majority) of people on these courses are doing them as an extra. At honours level, the course is as challenging as anywhere else.
Reply 77
Jormungandr
it gets very difficult if you dig particularly deep, but it's not in principle that hard to understand on the surface

Don't they expect you to dig deep though? Isn't that the whole point of a degree course - and what's different from A-level - that it's no longer just scratching the surface of issues the whole time and simplifying them to banality/absurdity?

And it isn't that much of a consolation that it gets challenging in the 3rd and 4th years - I don't want to spend 2 years dossing. Never mind :redface:

Do you get to study much political philosophy (esp. Rawls, Marxism)?
anna_c_100
Don't they expect you to dig deep though? Isn't that the whole point of a degree course - and what's different from A-level - that it's no longer just scratching the surface of issues the whole time and simplifying them to banality/absurdity?

And it isn't that much of a consolation that it gets challenging in the 3rd and 4th years - I don't want to spend 2 years dossing. Never mind :redface:

Do you get to study much political philosophy (esp. Rawls, Marxism)?

Not in first year they don't. If you want a first, you have to dig moderately deep (i.e. actually read something except what they say, or think of something interesting to say rather than parrotting). Going deep is for honours level, though obviously admirable in sub-honours too.

Though perhaps I'm simply underestimating the course. It's up to you. Remember that you will be doing two other subjects you probably won't be as good at (assuming philosophy is your major), so looking at these things in isolation can give a misleading picture.

Edit: Additionally, you may be overestimating the challenge of first year elsewhere, too. You'd be surprised how many people going for a degree in x actually don't give a crap about it and will say nothing in tutorials and do the absolute minimum.
OMG my status has changed im soo nervous, im too nervous to open it.

Latest

Trending

Trending