The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University YASS Modules - Can't decide!

Hey guys,

I'm lucky enough to have a school which offers half a dozen students to enrol in a single Open University module.

The modules last 3 months, start in February and are worth 10 UCAS points and are a decent additional to my CV/Uni application forms.

Thing is, I want to do either

Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Tsunamis
Or
Under the Ocean: Blueplant

Anyone taken any of these courses? How are they in terms of the amount of dedication and time you have to put into them? What sort of things do you actually do as part of the module?

More specifically, has anyone taken these 2 modules? Could you tell me what sort of things I'd be doing/studying in detail as the course descriptions are too brief.

Thanks in advance.
I haven't taken either of the modules, but I think both of them would be interesting and a good choice, and they both fit in with your AS-levels. Are either of them relevant to your future career/what you want to do at uni? I'm doing Molecules, Medicines and Drugs to fit in with chemistry, and it's probs the most relevant to vet med.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck with choosing

xxx
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I've done a Human Health and Genetics one:

I had 3 months to do it and did it in the last 6 days. Utterly pointless course!!
Reply 3
You're supposed to have paid and sent it off by now aren't you? we had to send ours off last month.
my archaeology one starts on friday, merde.
And they aren't worth 10 ucas points. they're worth 10 points of a university course
SiaSiaSia
You're supposed to have paid and sent it off by now aren't you? we had to send ours off last month.
my archaeology one starts on friday, merde.
And they aren't worth 10 ucas points. they're worth 10 points of a university course

Not if he's starting in february I don't think; money has to be in for the November one by now I think though. Do the November ones start this Friday?! Mine should be coming soon then....:smile:
Reply 5
lil_miss_rapunzel
Not if he's starting in february I don't think; money has to be in for the November one by now I think though. Do the November ones start this Friday?! Mine should be coming soon then....:smile:

Mine arrived 3 weeks ago :s-smilie:
So did everyone else who has course, not just starting in November. and not all of them start on friday, some started yesterday.
Reply 6
Whichever course you do it will be very short and easy.
Original post by Kyalimers

Original post by Kyalimers
I've done a Human Health and Genetics one:

I had 3 months to do it and did it in the last 6 days. Utterly pointless course!!

I just wanted to ask is it worth doing it - it says you don't need any previous knowledge and I think it sounds a bit rubbish, isit?
Reply 8
Original post by babyjustin
I just wanted to ask is it worth doing it - it says you don't need any previous knowledge and I think it sounds a bit rubbish, isit?

You don't and it is, but it does look good in your PS and it does give you something to talk about in interviews if you have any for when applying to uni.
Cheers - decided not to do it - will do some other work experience instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending