The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I work at Aldi currently. Yes it is hard work in comparison to other supermarkets (I previously worked at another supermarket). The pay now starts at 7.95 ph as a store assistant but a bit less as a stick assistant (you don't have to remember all of the codes as a stock assistant) I am a store assistant and was first nervous about remembering all of the codes. However, most codes are on the bags of the fruit and veg (they are the only ones u need to remember). After a few weeks u will remember all of the codes e.g carrots 33, yellow peppers 837, mixed peppers 16 etc.

Pay goes up every year for four years I think until it hits around £10 ph as a store assistant. Each store will have a till speed target (ours is 950 items an hour) u will get in trouble if u miss this consistently. As u will if u are over or under ur £1 till difference allowance per shift. You are performance reviewed periodically also by store management ( they will let u know how your doing). To clarify this whole break thing. At aldi 6 hours shift constitutes a 15minute break, 8 hours 20 mins an 10 hours 39 min break. HOWEVER there is an optional unpaid 30 minute break if u want it (no one in our store takes it). Your entitlements at work should be displayed clearly in your canteen as ours is.

I was interviewed via a one-to-one interview with an area manager and it was very fast paced with quick fire questions. E.g what do you know about aldi? What can affect inventory at aldi? Why should we choose you over other candidates? They will want to know what you currently do and have previously done. DO NOT LIE you will be expected bring in references from previous jobs (particularly your most recent). I have seen many new applicants do group interviews and they do numeracy tests etc e.g how much change do I get from £20 if I spend £13,67 (6.33). If u pass your interview the area manager will contact u promptly (mine did the next day) and they will arrange for u to do a work trial at the store u applied to or a nearby one. After that they will contact u to let u know the verdict ( again this happens quickly). All in all the application process is rigorous and nerve racking much like most interviews. Make sure u do abut of research and get across tha YOU WANTthe job, don't just go through the motions.

I've been at aldi for about 6months and am studying property at uni aswel. I am at uni 3 days a week and usually at work for 3 days doing 30 hours overall. My day off I do coursework and revision. If u are studying it is very hard to get a work life balance and I am struggling but it will be worth it I the end. One other thing the rota's for your shifts should be done a month in advance. THE SHIFTS ARE NOT FIXED and the times and days you work will change every month which makes it hard to plan for other things. As a store assistant or stock or deputy you should be doing a MAXIMUM of 40 hours a week anything over this you are paid time and a half and aldi don't like doing this because it affects their productivity ratings. So it is not I there interest in making or asking u to do this in my experience.

Stock take is once a month on a Sunday where everyone manually counts all of the products in store (it's not as bad as it sounds) and will probably be your longest shift! Mine is usually 12 hours. Good money though and it goes quick because u are always busy.

Overall I like working at aldi. Renumeration is good,and I enjoy the aldi culture and the way they do and expect things done. They expect you to work as you should with any job. The whiners just don't like graft in my opinion. Don't apply if u think it will just be a checkout job or stacking shelves because u will be I for a horrid shock. Mornings u work deliveries and have to tick all the products off on a list and put it all out. They will test the pallets by adding and taking away things to make sure that you are doing it properly so you CANNOT get away with just putting it out. Customers are expected to put their shopping straight into their trolleys and pack at the bench as this means less waiting time for customers and quicker service. HOWEVER, this canalso cause big rows with customers as it is a culture shock and when they refuse to put it in their trolley they can ever pack fast enough and where u scan so fast it becomes a pile of shopping and things can fall/break or re scan which means a manager had to come and override the error correct usually.

I have listed most of what you will probably get at aldi in regards to most things. Hope this helps.
Reply 41
Aldi is a horrible place to work!! Don't bother! Been working there for a month and a half now and I would say that I've been looking for another job after about the second week.
Borderline slave labour, to take a break is frowned upon, managers speak to you like you're something they've stepped in, always expected to work past your finish time (and they even try to not pay you for it!), unrealistic times to do things, and the hourly rate is a lie (you do not start on £9 an hour, it is £7).
All of this results in rock bottom staff morale which in turn gets passed onto the customer with bad customer service from stressed out staff.
If you want a job in food retail then apply for the good old stores (morrisons, Sainsbury's etc)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
deleted
(edited 9 years ago)
Currently working in aldi in the Swindon area (Plymouth specifically) wouldn't say the work is hard, more boring an mundane with disgusting customers. Pay is good though and shifts tend to go quite quickly. I'm actually trying to leave the job because it pisses me off and the hours don't work with my uni stuff. Does anyone know the minimum notice period required to leave an aldi store assistant position? Think it's 2 weeks but can't find my contract. Any help??
I am working for Aldi over 2 years, and I cant complain! Yes its challenging job and yes hours are not the same every month ! Staff is the highest standard soo friendly , well at least in my store. Lots of students and when they ask for days off they give it to them as they want to make us (staff) happy! Because if you make your staff happy, they will make customers happy. U get 28 days paid holiday, double pay on bank holiday, if u say u want weekend off or some days off ask manager in 4 weeks advance . Started with £7.85 now I am on £9.75 and every year is pay rise. I am telling you go for it ! You can always quiet if u don't like it, I was very happy they hired me as they are very strict with the applications. Job is challenging because they give you set of time on each topic etc chiller pallet 30min. Wont do it in time? No worries explain yourself why u haven't :smile:) they wont kill you or suck you for that. If you are doing good you can get promoted in a year, I though ill quit because of uni so I said no! Now I regret it haha .... As I said go for it mate :smile: and negative feedbacks or positive its up to you how u can deal with the job, people and how is your personality not that Aldi is horrible to work for ! Every job is similar and NO u don't need to remember the codes just 5p bag and 9p bag that's all!!! All the veg and fruit except few the new ones which is like 5-6 fruits have codes font worry :smile:)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
Hi Annette,
I've had my medical which went well. That was 10 days ago. I haven't heard anything even though I was told that I would know within a week.

Not sure what to think. The website beside my application says 'submitted'.

Confused but want the job.
Reply 46
Hi,
I was invited to a group interview for Aldi WA Jandakot region. I attended and it seemed to go well. I was invited to a one on one interview about a week later to a different location and that went well and I was given an appointment for a pre-placement medical assessment in town which I went to and passed with flying colours. The Dr told me that Aldi should be in contact with me within the week. That was March 16th. I haven't heard anything but next to my application on the Aldi website, it says'submitted'. Not 'application outcome'.
I emailed recruitment and the response was that all candidates will know the outcome by the end of the week. Well here we are on Saturday still none the wiser.
I have to disagree with the whole 'efficient' assessment. I think it's shoddy to make people hang in limbo.
Reply 47
Are the personality assessment important , I need help
Reply 48
Original post by Rhirhiii
Are the personality assessment important , I need help

I have 18 years past experience with a supermarket yet they rejected me even though I passed the medical, and aced the interviews.
Which state are you applying in?
How long do they call u back after you did you drug test
How long does it take for them to call you after the drug test
Reply 51
I say if you get in, you should be proud because lots havn't......hard work never actually killed anyone. ..so.....just go for it....see what hard work is like...for as long as you can....it will at least be a bench mark for other jobs...were, if you are still going to be working hard then at least you are getting a decent wage for it. You xan always leave if the pace is too much...but on a c.v. for your next job obviously don't say they worked you to death ha ha...jyst go for it and think if I want to be an accountant at least I ll be sitting down in a nice cushy office .... my daughter is going to an Aldi assessment purely for the experience with NO intentions of actually being offered tge job. So she can't lose.
Literally no point applying cos they will leave you nearly 3 months after you applied and have had 2 interviews just to say you haven’t got it and they don’t even give you any feedback😤I’m gutted and they are a joke. I would’nt bother cos 2 of my friends had the same problem and Aldi don’t give a stuff clearly. Just needed a vent so if that dissent make sense I apologise and I literally signed up just to rant 😑
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 53
So aldi is one place I’d like to work in the warehouses and am curious if the poor reviews apply to warehousing as well as in store roles.If so, doesn’t seem like a good option
Original post by Cortez

Yes I do
Es I do
Original post by uthinkilltellu
I know that they pay their grads a starting salary of 40k, rising to ~57(?) after 3 years.

I have a friend who works there, and this is the consensus:

- They tend to prefer to employ European people instead of British.
- The work starts on day one. You'll get some training on the tills and get shown around the storage area, but don't expect an 'induction day'
- They don't emply as many people as other supermarkets, so you'll never be bored.
- Depending on the area manager, and if you are, the opportunities to expand responsibility are quite good.

Interview help:

- Talk about Aldi's advantages over other supermarlets as they like that.
- Talk about being 'very' hard working - saying breaks are a taboo to you is a definite plus.
- Talk about being very efficient and having great time management skills (Aldi is German, so they like efficiency)
- If you are applying part time, talk about being available 'whenever'
- If you are applying on a temporary contract, talk about being dedicated to working hard and rising to the challenge of....

Hope this helps, and if you have an specific questions then PM me and I'll ask my friend.

Can you give clarity , will they take international applicants for temporary or contract work
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by uthinkilltellu
I know that they pay their grads a starting salary of 40k, rising to ~57(?) after 3 years.

I have a friend who works there, and this is the consensus:

- They tend to prefer to employ European people instead of British.
- The work starts on day one. You'll get some training on the tills and get shown around the storage area, but don't expect an 'induction day'
- They don't emply as many people as other supermarkets, so you'll never be bored.
- Depending on the area manager, and if you are, the opportunities to expand responsibility are quite good.

Interview help:

- Talk about Aldi's advantages over other supermarlets as they like that.
- Talk about being 'very' hard working - saying breaks are a taboo to you is a definite plus.
- Talk about being very efficient and having great time management skills (Aldi is German, so they like efficiency)
- If you are applying part time, talk about being available 'whenever'
- If you are applying on a temporary contract, talk about being dedicated to working hard and rising to the challenge of....

Hope this helps, and if you have an specific questions then PM me and I'll ask my friend.

Do they recruit global applicants from other countries ? Then what's the procedure for that ?
Original post by Hariprasad7
Do they recruit global applicants from other countries ? Then what's the procedure for that ?

This thread is 14 years old. Please don't bump old threads - make a new one :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending