Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Musicals are for children

Announcements Posted on
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetlovinchick2k1)
    Just out of interest have you bought any Disney DVDs yet?

Because I just found out that HMV are selling loads really cheap! I just bought The Little Mermaid for £6.74 with my student discount

Thought I'd help you save some more!
    I haven't as I'm still ill and now in my overdraft! :eek:

Amaaaaaaazing news though, thanks v much! Could do with a big Disney fest before the end of term :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I haven't as I'm still ill and now in my overdraft! :eek:

Amaaaaaaazing news though, thanks v much! Could do with a big Disney fest before the end of term :yep:
    I found it online. don't think it's in store, so when your out of your overdraft you can get a treat from the comfort of your own home :woo:
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really should get one of my best friends in here as there could be a good argument.

Some musicals are for kids (Hsm etc)
    SOme musicals are for adults (Phantom, Les mis etc)
    Some musicals appeal to all (Wicked - My dad loved it as much as I did)

A rather big generalisation there MB.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I really should get one of my best friends in here as there could be a good argument.

Some musicals are for kids (Hsm etc)
    SOme musicals are for adults (Phantom, Les mis etc)
    Some musicals appeal to all (Wicked - My dad loved it as much as I did)

A rather big generalisation there MB.
    Even then I wouldn't generalise too much. I think Phantom is a teenage musical rather than an adult one and Les Mis I adored aged 12 just as much as my much older parents did. Most musicals have a wide audience. There are very few I'd say which are specifically aimed at a younger audience rather than at a general family audience or wider.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem with musical's (i find) is that they try to do too much, attempting to conflate a complex story with 'refreshing' (often horrifically forced, destroying the natural flow and set up of a plot) music sequences, doesn't in my eyes make a well rounded package.

It somewhat worked for Avenue Q considering it was designed to be satirical and off kilter, but I can't help but feel many 'musicals' would be greatly improved if you got rid of the music. Albeit that would expose many flaws in the actual plots of these pieces that the music would divert your attention from.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Even then I wouldn't generalise too much. I think Phantom is a teenage musical rather than an adult one and Les Mis I adored aged 12 just as much as my much older parents did. Most musicals have a wide audience. There are very few I'd say which are specifically aimed at a younger audience rather than at a general family audience or wider.

:yep: I was just trying to make the point that not all musicals are childish and they were the first ones that came to my head.

Ps I like the spoiler part of your sig
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    musicals are all entertaining for everyone.
    They are professionally done and a lot of money goes into the production. Therefore I feel it can only be fully appreciated by an adult / someone with a relative level of maturity.

If I had to say a childish stage performance I would go for Pantomimes .. they are so typical and un-professional - well suited to kids but less to adults

x
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Panto is usually a form of theatre that is aimed at children which is the big difference. I've got rather a lot of experience in pantomime, indeed I just finished one a couple of days ago, and they are very pointedly aimed at a family audience but particularly the children.
    That said, I don't feel the production values have anything to do with whether a work is for adults or children. Indeed, as a director with a rather minimalist and low-budget style, I don't feel my work is really suitable for children particularly much! (unless pyromania and incest is a really relevant topic for primary schoolers these days...?)

(Original post by chaywa)
    The problem with musical's (i find) is that they try to do too much, attempting to conflate a complex story with 'refreshing' (often horrifically forced, destroying the natural flow and set up of a plot) music sequences, doesn't in my eyes make a well rounded package.

It somewhat worked for Avenue Q considering it was designed to be satirical and off kilter, but I can't help but feel many 'musicals' would be greatly improved if you got rid of the music. Albeit that would expose many flaws in the actual plots of these pieces that the music would divert your attention from.
    I actually feel musicals are better than straight drama for handling complexity sometimes. This is particularly so in a theatre industry where naturalism is rife. So much meaning can be conveyed through music and also through dance that a director doesn't need to waste time using dialogue to set it up.
    The best musicals either are throughsung so no disruption because of music, are well structured enough that the songs come naturally, or parody the fact that bad musicals don't have the structure to support people randomly bursting into songs.
    Personally, I much prefer through sung musicals because the music not being interrupted means you don't have to go through creating suspension of disbelief for every single song. That is a personal opinion though, much as I'd love to say through sung musicals are better.
    I wouldn't criticise the plot of musicals as a form in such a blanket way either, considering the vast majority of musicals these days are adapted from narrative works which were perfectly successful in other forms, usually books or films, so I feel it's being very unfair and rather incorrect to say that the music is the only thing holding the plot together.

And thank you timewarp for the sig comment
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Les Miserables and Blood Brothers. Both musicals. Both definitely not for children. Both still, ironically, make adults regress into children emotionally. Both not been made into musical movies because movies are aimed at all age ranges, they both aren't suitable for that transformation.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Movies aren't aimed at all age ranges, that's why they have BBFC certificates!
    I wouldn't say either of the musicals mentioned make adults regress into children emotionally either! Is that just a fancy way of saying they make people cry? Because there's nothing childish about that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 3, 2009
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered festivals and live events threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.