The Student Room Group

Carol Ann Duffy

Hey all,

So I have to do some presentations on two poems from Duffy's collection Mean Time and I've chosen Small Female Skull and Fraud.

I've read them and I'm quite confused about the messages behind them, because if you have studied Duffy then you know that she likes to be very cryptic and stuff, for example Weasel Words, talks about weasels and it's actually about politics =P

So if anybody has anything to say about them that would be a LOT of help!

Thank you!
Reply 1
i dunno bout them poems but i know she was a feminist and believed very strongly in stuff like womens independance.. she likes role reversal and stuff like that.. sorry dunno bout them poems though..
Reply 2
I did one of her compilations last year and thus I am not familiar with those two particular poems, but I can give some general advice to her themes and such and then you can look for tell-tale signs.

The person above me pointed out some of the best things to focus on. She is a 'devout' feminist and thus often mocks men, however she is not as straight forward as that sometimes, she has been known to mock women too, but women who are overly stereotypical, generally.

She often writes of female empowerment, putting women in traditional male roles and historical situations in order to portray a different view of the event. Role reversal in simple terms, as stated above.

Latest

Trending

Trending