The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The Young Modulus is defined as the ratio of the tensile stress and the tensile strain
in a lay man's term its the measure of a materials stiffness, how much force a material cantake before it breaks

Experiment:
as for the experiment here is a link that will help... just replace copper with steal.

Hope this helps
0zero0
The Young Modulus is defined as the ratio of the tensile stress and the tensile strain
in a lay man's term its the measure of a materials stiffness, how much force a material cantake before it breaks

Experiment:
as for the experiment here is a link that will help... just replace copper with steal.

Hope this helps

oh ok so if i pull a string the original length and the length just before it snaps is young modulus? its very confusing
And there isnt a link if you dont mind providing the link to me again. Thanks
Reply 3
JBKProductions
oh ok so if i pull a string the original length and the length just before it snaps is young modulus? its very confusing

on a graph the young modulus can be found by finding the gradient from the point of origin which is zero upto the limit of proportionality, the point it breaks....basically the gradient of the straight line in your graph gives you the young modulus
Reply 4
not exactly.
0zero0
on a graph the young modulus can be found by finding the gradient from the point of origin which is zero upto the limit of proportionality, the point it breaks....basically the gradient of the straight line in your graph gives you the young modulus

Thanks for explaining how to find it but im still not sure what it actually is. Is it just the maximum force something can handle and if you put anymore force on it, it breaks?
teachercol
not exactly.

How would you explain what it is? i really need to know what it is:frown:
Reply 7
E = Young Modulus = Stress/Strain = (Force exerted on wire/Area of the Wire) / (Extension/Original Length of Wire)

units in Pa

materials with high E are stiff
msd2008
E = Young Modulus = Stress/Strain = (Force exerted on wire/Area of the Wire) / (Extension/Original Length of Wire)

units in Pa

materials with high E are stiff

oh ok so the higher the E the easier it is to stretch? and the lower it is the harder it is to stretch
Reply 9
no its the other way round.

higher E means it requires more force to be stretched. lower E means it is easier to stretch.
msd2008
no its the other way round.

higher E means it requires more force to be stretched. lower E means it is easier to stretch.

oh ok and btw would that be an acceptable definition for young modulus or no?
Reply 11
i would say 'Young Modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material and is calculated by stress/strain.'
msd2008
i would say 'Young Modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material and is calculated by stress/strain.'

ok thanks for helping me im soo glad i know it now lol my teacher hasnt even taught us it yet and exams are in jan im getting scared lol.
Reply 13
np. good luck for jan. i'm retaking the module with this topic in it.
msd2008
np. good luck for jan. i'm retaking the module with this topic in it.

oh good luck to you too:smile: and i hope we both get the results we want

Latest