The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth nightlife?

I just recieved a conditional offer from Plymouth and am just wondering, is the nightlife good? I've heard the Union is one of the best in the country.

Scroll to see replies

No one in Plymouth then? Meh.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
In comparison to Bristol / Birmingham / Cardiff... Plymouth is obviously going to suck...
VJ69 - I have lived in Bristol all my life and have family in Plymouth..... and I can honestly say that Plymouth does not suck. Admittedly Bristol has Whiteladies Road, Clifton, and Park Street - but Plymouth has a lot going for it.
Reply 4
i love plymouth night life-these are the best nites in my opinion-

mondays- student night at oceana -normally themed fancydress,and next monday is first ever foam party! wooooooooo :biggrin:

Tuesday- pound a pint in the roundabout-student kind of pub with dancefloor upstairs

thursday- revolutions vodka bar flavoured vodka 1.50 and 2for1 cocktails

friday/saterday- student union-cheap drinks (1.70 double vodka and mixer!) and good music,pool tables,sumtimes guests,(like i met ned from neighboors lol) also sean slater was there but i missed that!

ohh and cuba is a great bar oposite the uni,open till 4am everyday of the week and 5am fri and sat :smile:

and also is mutley pliain,whole road of pubs such as wetherspoons and a cocktail bar called cafe sol..

ohhhdea i think i no a bit too much bout the night life lol.. :tongue:
Plymouth is a very nice place to live and be a student. Enjoy it and value it because it beats the hell out of Birmingham , Manchester, Cardiff and Bristol. People who have to say Plymouth sucks are just jealous or ignorant.

There is more to Plymouth than nightlife, but if thats what you want - Union Street ( be careful out there its a second Soho) and the Barbican area have loads of clubs/ puns and such like.
Reply 6
vj69
In comparison to Bristol / Birmingham / Cardiff... Plymouth is obviously going to suck...

why are you in this forum since you evidently are not going to study in plymouth?
Reply 7
Hi,

Plymouth's nightlife is pretty good going. There is a £1 / pint night every day of the week apart from Friday, Saturday and Sunday. NorthHill is a great student atmosphere with some truly great places to eat and drink that are open nearly 24/7.

Normal format for a night out in Plymouth is - Start in the SU or Cafe Sol (cocktail bar) -> then off to one of the clubs (Revolution or Oceana) and then back to NorthHill for the early hours. Check out www.smileonthetiles.com for more of a feeling of Plymouth nightlife.
Reply 8
I've only been to plymouth a few times visiting friends (start the uni in September!) & I loveeeed Cuba as a pre bar. And also for the BOGOF cooked breakfasts the morning after. :P
Reply 9
Get on it-
Plymouth nightlife is sick!

Youve got your normal pubs that you'll hit depending where you live (Fresher, Scholar, Cuba has a lush outside beer garden thats great in summer.. Mutley pubs for those living close, Mousetrap for us lot up the top of North Hill..)

Monday Oceana Monday
Tuesday Roundabout £1/Drink
Wednesday c103!
Thursday Cheap nights at Revs
Union is great Fri/Sat. Always that or Oceana
Sunday is like.. chillout time.

You'll always end up back on North Hill at the end of every night. Get on it-
Ahh! just received offers from Brunel, Kingston and Plymouth. waiting for replies from my last two, yes i reaaaallly wanted to know what the nightlife was like? are there any nearby towns that the plymouth students go to for a fresh breath of well...nightlife? :smile:
Reply 11
Plymouth nightlife is awesome on a Friday/ Saturday...
Depends where you live.

I live in Gilwell halls, when I leave it I have 3 options. Straight ahead is a bar called The Skiving Scholar, they are more of a rock/heavy metal type place and sometimes have a band in the basement playing.

I can go left and there is 2 bars that I come across in about 30 seconds of walking; Blush and Ride, both are pretty classy with ride having a huge out door area like a front garden. Blush is rather small but classy. If I continue about 20 seconds I get to The Roundabout, this is a very good pub and is pretty big (2 floors) you can get good deals here and with a yellow card you can get discounts. I could continue walking and reach voodoo bar but I have yet to go in here so cant really comment about it. I could go round the roundabout to the bac bar, which is a small bar but always packed for some reason.

The right option is more appealing to me, 30 second walk and you come across 2 bars; Cuba and Firefly, both are very good. Cuba is pretty popular and some nights it can get packed. There is polls to dance on and a free bottle of something if a girl gets up and takes her top off. Firefly isn't really as famous but its good to, both bars have an upstairs and an outside garden. I can turn right again and about 30 seconds down I reach Fresher & Professor, another legendary student bar which is always good, mainly for its signature drink the "terminator" which is what 70% of people in that place must order. Its a very nice cocktail served in a pint glass, you wont really think its an alcoholic drink until half an hour later because its pretty strong.

I could also turn left from them 2 and reach the SU bar in about 2 minutes. I think its one of the best SU bars, its where most students here start there night. Friday and Saturdays it is very popular and is open much later. Monday night is exchange night and prices change depending on what people are buying, so the drinks no one is buying are extremely cheap, usually drinks like snakebite. I managed to get a shot of something for 30p.

Inside the SU you have 5 main rooms, the 1st is the 1st main bar and has large television screens and lots of seats and tables, there is the snack shop room where you can get food there or if you prefer a more lit up area, or quite area. The next room is where most of the pool tables are, its the 2nd largest and has around 4 pool tables, it also has a good dance floor which on a Friday or Saturday night will be lively, it has a DJ booth there. There is a smaller room with another bar but its only open on busy nights, the last room is the biggest and it contains the sub:lime bar and a huge dance floor, a big projector which has sport during the day and music videos and stuff. It also has 2 pool tables and more tables and chairs closer to the bar, it also has a dj booth.

There is a vodka revs near, about 15 minute walk to get there. Vodka revs isn't really a club its more of a very big bar but its worth going. There are many places near by and a lot of food places, some pretty big bars near revs. There is also C103, which is a club and its pretty big however some of the tables and stuff are a bit messed up but the dance floor is huge and its very lively with a few bars to buy drinks from (it might take a long time getting a drink on some nights)

Oceana is the main attraction for night life in plymouth, its the largest club I have been in so far and they do themed nights and so on. I think its more popular with the girls then the boys. You can get a free bus there on its student night (monday) from SU bar. A lot of people go there so go early to get in.

There are other areas like near the barbican, which has many traditional pubs and a few bars. I remember going to a pretty big weather spoons there. Also a lot of royal navy pubs there.

I am just a fresher though :P there is lots of places I need to go to.
letsgoskiing
Ahh! just received offers from Brunel, Kingston and Plymouth. waiting for replies from my last two, yes i reaaaallly wanted to know what the nightlife was like? are there any nearby towns that the plymouth students go to for a fresh breath of well...nightlife? :smile:

Go to brunel. It is a far superior uni and its in London, and you cant beat london nightlife! Kingston is ok but heard its quite rough. Plymouth has one nightclub and no surrounding towns for as you say it a 'fresh breath' so give it a miss.
Reply 14
Jmzie-Coupe
Plymouth has one nightclub and no surrounding towns for as you say it a 'fresh breath' so give it a miss.

Take that back...

... now
Jmzie-Coupe
Go to brunel. It is a far superior uni and its in London, and you cant beat london nightlife! Kingston is ok but heard its quite rough. Plymouth has one nightclub and no surrounding towns for as you say it a 'fresh breath' so give it a miss.

Dont listen to this guy, I come from Northolt/Hayes (20 minute bus ride to brunel) which is very close to hillingdon. I actually wanted to get out the area... its not to great there.

Plymouth has one nightclub? wtf have you been smoking dude? what has brunel got near? liquids? hahahahaha

You can not compare liquids to oceana... oceana must be 6x the size of liquids and is much better inside.

I have lived near that area since I was born, and the area is pretty run down, crime is higher then other communitys. 90% of people in hillingdon are in fact chavs and I can guarantee you that. Walk through hayes town at night time on your own and you WILL be robbed by a gang of Somalians. Most pubs and bars in that area shut around 12, how can you have a good night? plymouth most are open much later until 3-5am.

There are indeed some very good places in central london, you could get the tube there but remember the tube isn't a 24 hour service, so how are you getting back?

To the person considering brunel- the university itself might be grand (i dont think it is tbh) and you may get high marks. However the night life will suck, and you will hate the surrounding area of that university.

I would advise you to go see for yourself! go take a trip up there and also look at the surrounding area (uxbridge, hilligdon, hayes, ruislip, northolt etc)
ChocolateMan
Dont listen to this guy, I come from Northolt/Hayes (20 minute bus ride to brunel) which is very close to hillingdon. I actually wanted to get out the area... its not to great there.

Plymouth has one nightclub? wtf have you been smoking dude? what has brunel got near? liquids? hahahahaha

You can not compare liquids to oceana... oceana must be 6x the size of liquids and is much better inside.

I have lived near that area since I was born, and the area is pretty run down, crime is higher then other communitys. 90% of people in hillingdon are in fact chavs and I can guarantee you that. Walk through hayes town at night time on your own and you WILL be robbed by a gang of Somalians. Most pubs and bars in that area shut around 12, how can you have a good night? plymouth most are open much later until 3-5am.

There are indeed some very good places in central london, you could get the tube there but remember the tube isn't a 24 hour service, so how are you getting back?

To the person considering brunel- the university itself might be grand (i dont think it is tbh) and you may get high marks. However the night life will suck, and you will hate the surrounding area of that university.

I would advise you to go see for yourself! go take a trip up there and also look at the surrounding area (uxbridge, hilligdon, hayes, ruislip, northolt etc)

London > Plymouth
(edited 12 years ago)
Jmzie-Coupe
London > Plymouth. If you disagree, you are wrong. In fact, they're not even in the same league, you can't even compare somewhere like plymouth to london city nightlife.

What are YOU on? The night life sucks near brunel?! The nightlife sucks in plymouth! Yes one club - Oceana, amazing. They have 4 in or around the london area not to mention other WORLDWIDE renound (sp) clubs and oceana isn't even a decent club, I will show you what a real club is if you really like. Just PM me. Only other club in plymouth is C103 which is a ******** in a ******** area in a ******** city. Keep neg repping me, rep means nothing to me.

You contradict yourself. You say Plymouth has 1 club, then you mention C103. You dont know Plymouth that well if you say there is only 1 club in the 1st place. What about Flares? or White Rabit? or the many other clubs in Plymouth...

Of course in central London there is going to be better and bigger clubs/bars, its London. However Brunel is in Hillingdon which is near uxbridge (the outskirts of london) its not exactly central is it?

Near Brunel university... no way is it better then Plymouth. London is a very big place, if your saying there's 4 around the London area you have to consider London must be 10x the size of Plymouth. You have to consider some of these may be difficult to reach (while Oceana is a 5 minute bus ride from SU bar).

You have to consider the costs, most London bars have a pint for £3 around here its usually a £1 less what you pay in London and it all adds up. This is without any offers or special student night deals, also paying to get into clubs is higher.

What do you have to say about the closing times of the pubs/bars around Brunel?

Name one decent place near Brunel without needing to get the underground, and I will counter it with a better place in Plymouth :smile:

Hillingdon is a run down **** hole. I stand by what I said in my last post- the person who is thinking about going Brunel should go visit the area around it.

For someone living in central London with lots of money London is better then Plymouth, for someone living near Brunel its no way as good as Plymouth. Plymouth has better night life for students.
ChocolateMan
You contradict yourself. You say Plymouth has 1 club, then you mention C103. You dont know Plymouth that well if you say there is only 1 club in the 1st place. What about Flares? or White Rabit? or the many other clubs in Plymouth...

Of course in central London there is going to be better and bigger clubs/bars, its London. However Brunel is in Hillingdon which is near uxbridge (the outskirts of london) its not exactly central is it?

Near Brunel university... no way is it better then Plymouth. London is a very big place, if your saying there's 4 around the London area you have to consider London must be 10x the size of Plymouth. You have to consider some of these may be difficult to reach (while Oceana is a 5 minute bus ride from SU bar).

You have to consider the costs, most London bars have a pint for £3 around here its usually a £1 less what you pay in London and it all adds up. This is without any offers or special student night deals, also paying to get into clubs is higher.

What do you have to say about the closing times of the pubs/bars around Brunel?

Name one decent place near Brunel without needing to get the underground, and I will counter it with a better place in Plymouth :smile:

Hillingdon is a run down **** hole. I stand by what I said in my last post- the person who is thinking about going Brunel should go visit the area around it.

For someone living in central London with lots of money London is better then Plymouth, for someone living near Brunel its no way as good as Plymouth. Plymouth has better night life for students.

I can't be bothered to read all of your post. But what I will say is white rabbit is not a club rofl, what are you on? A bar at best, if you consider something of that size a club you must be demented. I am not sticking up for Brunel, I have never been there. But I am damn sure the nightlife will be better than plymouth and the uni will be better than plymouth. End of discussion. This will be the last reply I make.
Jmzie-Coupe
I can't be bothered to read all of your post. But what I will say is white rabbit is not a club rofl, what are you on? A bar at best, if you consider something of that size a club you must be demented. I am not sticking up for Brunel, I have never been there. But I am damn sure the nightlife will be better than plymouth and the uni will be better than plymouth. End of discussion. This will be the last reply I make.

I think you read the post and cant reply to it :wink:

Jmzie-Coupe
I am not sticking up for Brunel, I have never been there.

I think that just won my argument, cheers.

End of discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending