The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

van mildert college durham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
psychology at Mildert! excittttted, anyone else doing psychology? see you in october :smile:

only thing im worried about is sharing toilets and showers. the idea of unclean bathroom and shower is haunting, whoever stays on my corridor or my block im bringing a shower radio and air freshner to keep our corridor clean and happy :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by gleekchic

psychology at Mildert! excittttted, anyone else doing psychology? see you in october :smile:

only thing im worried about is sharing toilets and showers. the idea of unclean bathroom and shower is haunting, whoever stays on my corridor or my block im bringing a shower radio and air freshner to keep our corridor clean and happy :smile:

The showers and toilets are cleaned regularly (3 times a week I think) and we had 4 toilets and 4 showers between 16 of us on the corridor- I never had to wait for either during the whole year :smile:
Reply 62
Ahhh brilliant thanks, my worries are so lame it's laughable ha!
Reply 63
anyone know if they have kettles in the kitchenettes??
Original post by rebeccap

Original post by rebeccap
anyone know if they have kettles in the kitchenettes??

:yep:
Have any of you got the accomodation thing in AES yet? It was supposed to be up after the 7th right?
Reply 66
Yeah, I did the accommodation licence yesterday, I guess it should be up for everyone now?
Reply 67
Original post by pyro2312

Hi, I have managed to lose my information booklet thingy and was wondering if anybody could tell me which mobile networks they say are the best to be on in it? I can remember having zero signal anywhere in the college on vodapone on the open day, so really need to change it before I go!
Hey :smile: Is anyone here doing Economics in Van Mildert? I'm applying to Durham for the 2012 entry, and I'm still stuck between choosing Van Mildert and Hild Bede as the college. I'm actually drawn to Van Mildert at first after browsing through the photos (I live outside of the UK and don't have the chance to visit the campus) - I like the modern architecture, the guaranteed single rooms, the duck pond and rabbits. However, a hill college would be too far from the Econ department (I know it's about 20 mins of walk but I'm just not used to walking often :tongue:). Hild Bede would be a suitable and convenient college too, as it's very near to the town and Econ department.

I'd like to know the experience of anyone doing Economics, as to whether the distance issue has a big impact between changing classes and such, and also the lifestyle in Van Mildert in general. Thanks!
Original post by boss206

Original post by boss206
Hi, I have managed to lose my information booklet thingy and was wondering if anybody could tell me which mobile networks they say are the best to be on in it? I can remember having zero signal anywhere in the college on vodapone on the open day, so really need to change it before I go!

O2 and Orange :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel
O2 and Orange :smile:

Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by boss206

hi they said o2 or orange, for the same purpose as you i changed to orange!
xxxx
Reply 72
oh realised that someone already answered the question ahhahaha! x
Reply 73
have a question...

it said in the information pack that we should consider buying a drying rack, should i get one? and if so how big does it have to be?
And, what do people use t dry their clothes? what about those radiator rack things that you hang on the radiators?

that is a lot of questions but if anyone could help me that would be :smile:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

have a question...

it said in the information pack that we should consider buying a drying rack, should i get one? and if so how big does it have to be?
And, what do people use t dry their clothes? what about those radiator rack things that you hang on the radiators?

that is a lot of questions but if anyone could help me that would be :smile:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It probably would be quite useful to get a drying rack and you can put it outside your room when needed, but you're likely to find that your whole corridor will want to borrow it :tongue: Most people will use the dryer after washing clothes, which costs 50p for half an hour and then an extra 10p for every extra 10 mins, and then a drying rack later if necessary for jeans etc that hadn't quite dried, but you prob won't need to use the drying rack much if you put clothes in for about 50 mins rather than just the half an hour :smile:
Reply 75
Does anybody know if there is anywhere that I can get an online copy of the handbook?
Original post by boss206
Does anybody know if there is anywhere that I can get an online copy of the handbook?

If you mean the Freshers Handbook, here (link in first sentence) :

http://www.mildert.co.uk/external/page:freshers/

:smile:
Reply 77
Original post by The Rogue Trader
If you mean the Freshers Handbook, here (link in first sentence) :

http://www.mildert.co.uk/external/page:freshers/

:smile:

That's the one! Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 78
hey, was looking through the Durham Freshers page, and it said that our pre-order forms should have been in last monday - only the letter said it wasn't until the 19th... I sent mine off last thursday - any ideas how much of an issue that's going to be?
Also, in terms of choosing extra modules, I'm doing maths, but am considering a module in French - anyone know how difficult it is to do modules outside the department?
xx
Original post by ^-^mely^-^

Original post by ^-^mely^-^
hey, was looking through the Durham Freshers page, and it said that our pre-order forms should have been in last monday - only the letter said it wasn't until the 19th... I sent mine off last thursday - any ideas how much of an issue that's going to be?
Also, in terms of choosing extra modules, I'm doing maths, but am considering a module in French - anyone know how difficult it is to do modules outside the department?
xx

I think as long as you do the compulsory modules required by the department (Core Maths A, B1 and B2 I think for Maths?) and the French modules you want to do fit in with the timetable it'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest