The Student Room Group

What is the point of life? (atheists only please)

Scroll to see replies

lazzarus
Ok, I accept that. But when one makes pleasure the basis of their life, can we not then discard most conventional morals. Does this not justify crime?

You also must admit that this is no substitute to an after life, are the happiest people not the religious?

No, not at all. I dont commit crimes just because the law or whatever states i shouldnt. I dont do it because its wrong. I would feel bad if i was to steal something from someone else etc. Therefore i dont do it. It may be the reason that many people actually do it, but personally i dont do it and cant see how it would 'justify' any crime as living life to the full means having friends etc and crime isnt really a good breeding ground for true friends.

No. I dont think the religious are the happiest at all. I am extremely happy, and most of my friends are happy with no belief. Yet wars based on religion are endless, they cant be that happy.
There is no *point*. We are born, we have a few years to do something with and then we die. The reason we don't all give up and stop bothering to twofold.

1) Our instincts encourage us to try and survive
2) We'd all be a pretty miserable bunch if we ignored the opportunity to be happy and satisfied, and instead killed ourselves or sat around moaning about the pointlessness of life.

Life doesn't need a point to make it an interesting experience.

As for morality . . . that is a very, very difficult philosophical concept. I believe that I act in a moral manner out of empathy - I know how my actions could hurt someone and I know that I wouldn't like to be hurt, so I try and avoid hurting people, as I know how it feels.
Reply 42
lazzarus
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

What would be the point of life if the only motivation was to get to heaven? What would be the point of that heaven? Why don't we all just not exist?
lazzarus

You also must admit that this is no substitute to an after life, are the happiest people not the religious?

Ignorance is bliss.

Sovvy
To reproduce, to continue the species, to provide the next steps for gradual evolution, to help the advancement of humanity, and most of all to make the most of it and to make your existance mean something. Thats what I'd say.

This.

I do think that indeed you yourself give meaning to your life.
But essentially, it is to leave something behind, for me at least. That most obviously would happen through our children (hardwired into our brain to pass on the genes), but other than that also aiming to contribute something to posterity, to leave your mark is what drives us forward. That has made sure there's progress and we don't live like cavemen anymore.
I wouldn't say that I felt my point in life was merely to reproduce. Granted, you'd be correct in biological terms; but as a human I am not compelled to marry somebody, or reproduce with somebody, or anything of the sort! I see little reason for why there should be an objective point to human life. We make our own goals - and if people don't have kids, they haven't failed their objective. We give meaning to our own lives.
lazzarus
I am trying hard to be critical about that happiness thing; I guess it can be said that satisfying something that is pointless is futile because it impacts nothing that is in itself necessay. It does however give us reason to live because it means we derive pleasure from this instanteneous irrelevance we call life.

Why is heaven a reason to live at all? God puts you on this planet where you are forced to play his game and to worship him to satisfy his ego problems and then a select few are granted access to heaven and everybody else is tortured in hell. You don't even know if you are in the right religion and may end up in hell anyway.

You live your whole life being unsure unless you've somehow managed to convince yourself you are on the correct path but then you have to ask why others are so convinced their paths are correct.

Atheists believe they die in piece. Religious people have the fear of hell embedded in them. Which do you think is more peaceful?

Also, atheism =/= nihilism.
Reply 46
The point of life?

It's actually fairly simple.

You decide what it is.
Reply 47
all great points, shame I had fallen asleep too early to see them all. I guess seeking an external reason for life is a vestige of religion, and there needn't be one. The personal pleasures derived from life is reason enough, and as for immortality.... I guess our best hope is reproduction or some sort of greatness that leaves a mark.

And yes I guess this evolved in to nihilism.

Thanks y'all
Reply 48
For me, life is about being happy, and making other people happy. :smile:
I would ask what is the point of life if all we are doing is waiting to get to Heaven. So what is life, then? Nothing. That seems to be a pretty meaningless life
Reply 50
There isn't an inherent point of life in atheism; it does not necessarily have to embrace science or any other system of knowledge. That said, yes, quite a lot of atheists have stated their reasons for living as hedonistic, some downright egotistical.

Why not commit crime? Because, as atheists, there's probably the realisation that death has no apparent benefit for anyone. This causes us to try and live on some level of empathy (Though, this is arguable; I'm not under the delusion that this is an airtight argument). And yes, there is no secure base for our morals apart from pure subjectivity such as instincts, and so on. (which still exists in counterparts like the Bible, but to a lesser degree) and there is no external obligation for us to follow any of it, so people do commit crime.

But concrete morals, ethics and reasons for carrying them out, are by definition, not possible in an atheistic universe.

& of course, initiate existentialist cliche of: The point is what you make it.

(Sorry if this was a bit of a ramble)
lazzarus
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yjnvSQuv-H4
Reply 52
lazzarus

Why does there have to be a point? It's a complete accident that we have life and conciousness - just enjoy it.
Biologically; to reproduce in order pass on our genes to the next generation.
Reply 54
Original post by &#946
Biologically; to reproduce in order pass on our genes to the next generation.

Melancholy
I wouldn't say that I felt my point in life was merely to reproduce. Granted, you'd be correct in biological terms; but as a human I am not compelled to marry somebody, or reproduce with somebody, or anything of the sort! I see little reason for why there should be an objective point to human life. We make our own goals - and if people don't have kids, they haven't failed their objective. We give meaning to our own lives.

:smile:
lazzarus

So, let me see; you only do the right thing, not out of empathy, compassion etc. for your fellow human beings, but because it is dictated to you by your god as the only way to get into heaven, which you see as your sole purpose in life?

Basically, your sole purpose in life is to end up happy, right? It doesn't take much extrapolation to work out that the point in life for me is to enjoy it. I'm gonna die in the end anyway and none of this will matter, but while I'm here I'd rather be happy and enjoy life. That's not necessarily a rational, "long-term" plan - I'm enjoying myself while the opportunity is available, and if it ever turns out that I die and nothing else ever happens again, then so be it, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Sarahl89
Does there have to be a point? We're all here whether theres a point or not - lets make the best of it.. enjoy life, and make the world a nice place for others to enjoy aswell.. as for morals, i don't see what on earth they even have to do with religion or there being a point to life, you can be an atheist AND a good person aswell! shock horror! so i don't believe in God or heaven or hell, i still want to enjoy my life, still love my friends & family and appreciate the natural beauty and how amazingly and cleverly evolved the world is and do what i can to help other people on the planet.. i don't see why anyone would need the incentive of a nice cushy cloud to sit on after they die to do any of that..

:yep:
Reply 57
generalebriety
So, let me see; you only do the right thing, not out of empathy, compassion etc. for your fellow human beings, but because it is dictated to you by your god as the only way to get into heaven, which you see as your sole purpose in life?

Basically, your sole purpose in life is to end up happy, right? It doesn't take much extrapolation to work out that the point in life for me is to enjoy it. I'm gonna die in the end anyway and none of this will matter, but while I'm here I'd rather be happy and enjoy life. That's not necessarily a rational, "long-term" plan - I'm enjoying myself while the opportunity is available, and if it ever turns out that I die and nothing else ever happens again, then so be it, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

That is silly, I am an atheist and have never had to rely on god as a motive for anything. The question was why. Sorry this kind of " bbc question time" response annoys me. Read my earlier post to understand my point.
"The point of life is life" - Goethe

What the hell is wrong with just living and not find a "point" to everything?
Reply 59
Norfolkadam
"The point of life is life" - Goethe

What the hell is wrong with just living and not find a "point" to everything?

There is no wrong in just living, neither is there wrong in questioning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending