The Student Room Group

What is the point of life? (atheists only please)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Llamageddon
This seems like a fairly easy thing to get your head around. I'm assuming you are religious. What meaning does life have to you? To praise and serve your Lord? To do good deeds? Consider everything that you consider to be, then remove God from the equation.

For me life does not need meaning. Life can simply exist. That does not mean that it lacks meaning, but merely that meaning is neither a prequisite or inevitability of life. That is my view though. Other atheists have their own. The only thing a room full of atheists will ever agree on is that they don't believe in God.

I suppose, with no God, life is here simply because it is. Because the laws of science and millions of years have led to the formation of a critically thinking lump of chemicals... Essentially we are just carbon based life forms in that regard, but I would say, without there being a God, there is no 'reason' why we are here other than because we are. That means that the meaning of life is essentially nothing, but then within that people create a meaning from it.
Reply 701
Original post by The Country Lad
The truth is there is no point to life, our lives are but a blink of an eye in terms of time, in reality most people will be forgotten shortly after they die having made no lasting impact at all even great titans of history who are currently so memorable like Hitler or Lincoln, will eventually be consigned to no more than a foot note.

I believe you do what makes you happy and that is the only point of your life, as it is pointless to waste what little time we have.

you used 'titan' to reference a person in a sentence, you blatantly aren't a mathematician
Reply 702
Original post by skunkboy
Lol. Kinda funny. You were obviously 10 yrs old . That's not real? You are just imaginary person? Lol.

The past, the present, and the future are realities. Not imaginations. Time always changes. Whatever you're doing now will be the past. Whatever will happen will be the present. That's the law of nature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

only 10yr olds call others 10yr olds to make a point, go eat a cactus
Original post by lazzarus
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

I believe we are all here to make a difference to the world. And we should all try and improve the world and make it a better place :smile: of course one would think it is to reproduce and stuff but that is just our instincts as mammals. I just feel like as humans we can do more than that:smile:
Original post by Tevo1
only 10yr olds call others 10yr olds to make a point, go eat a cactus

Lol. Tried to become a troll. Failed. Try again, dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 705
Original post by skunkboy
Lol. Tried to become a troll. Failed. Try again, dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, sorry, but if you want my cumback you're going to have to scrape it off your mums teeth.

many thanks,

the sign reader
Original post by Tevo1
Hi, sorry, but if you want my cumback you're going to have to scrape it off your mums teeth.

many thanks,

the sign reader

common joke
sarcastic thank you
pretentious name

u sir are a dick
Reply 707
Original post by whorace
common joke
sarcastic thank you
pretentious name

u sir are a dick

Its not my fault he fell head first onto one, or should I say his mum did. And this coming from a guy who put Brenock O'Connor on a hitler poster.
Original post by Tevo1
Its not my fault he fell head first onto one, or should I say his mum did. And this coming from a guy who put Brenock O'Connor on a hitler poster.

Why is there beef everywhere today? :frown:
Original post by Tevo1

many thanks,

the sign reader

Lol. This is your point of life. Wow... your family must be very proud of you. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe Time isn't moving around us. we are moving through time. Time is a dimension so it is not one directional. I believe there probably are things that can move through time. This explains why we have never met aliens. Not only would they have to find us geographically. But they would have to find us in time. Since time is infinite that would be hard. If we go back in time no one will be there. Were all here, continuously moving through time. So anything we've done doesn't still exist somewhere. It becomes as real as a dream.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To survive and thrive.
there is no point innit, whats point of dogs innit
Life is truly what you make of it. There is no supernatural meaning; we create our own!
For me, the point of life is simple: To have as much fun as possible, to do all the things we enjoy, before our time is up.
Good ****ing question
Original post by shsstudent
I believe Time isn't moving around us. we are moving through time. Time is a dimension so it is not one directional. I believe there probably are things that can move through time. This explains why we have never met aliens. Not only would they have to find us geographically. But they would have to find us in time. Since time is infinite that would be hard. If we go back in time no one will be there. Were all here, continuously moving through time. So anything we've done doesn't still exist somewhere. It becomes as real as a dream.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LITTLE WHAT.jpg
Focusing on becoming enlightened through mindful experiences, and overcoming suffering
Living with good morals and intentions, trying to be the best we can
If you think you're living well and doing good things, you'll be happier overall, a kind of satisfaction
We all have to find a purpose in life to be happy, for some that's god and religion, for others through mindfulness, music and arts
Nobody needs religion to be truly happy, for some it helps as it gives them structure to their lives
Religion is not for me but I respect others who are religious
No gods so only nature is the ultimate driving force for our existence and even nature doesn't 'care' about what we do in that evolution is not a consciously purposeful process. So, in my view it's about getting through life with as little grief and as much pleasure as is reasonable to aim for, for yourself but also for others, being surrounded by unhappy people isn't good for us. Don't just stop to smell the roses, stop to have a whisky.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending