Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Keron's slow transformation

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd make a fitness blog.

I'm obese.
    'Proof' I'm obese incase someone thinks I'm exaggerating to garner attention

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BMI.PNG 
Views:	256 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	262904

I won't be joining a gym for some time. I'll be doing the Couch to 5k programme.

I'll be posting my progress with the programme as well as my daily diet in this blog. I'll also post any other exercises I do which will probably be minimal initially.

Asap, I'll upload pictures.

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm 18 years of age.
    I'm black-Carribean
    I weigh 256 pounds. Measured at 21:30 03/04/14.

old pics

These aren't current and were taken when I'd started to massively gain weight but they're an idea of my body shape.

Current obese pics

Name:	20140128_195114.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	275397

Name:	clothed front.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	263250
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did Couch25k Week one session one on the 15th of Jan.

Name:	15.01.14.PNG 
Views:	516 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	262901
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    that's a lot of weight. you must be very tall?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    In. GL brah.

But is that all you've eaten today?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How tall are you? You dont look 260, you dont even look bad tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Did Couch25k Week one session one on the 15th of Jan.

Name:	15.01.14.PNG 
Views:	516 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	262901

Eat more. A lot more. Serious.

If you try and eat 1k cals a day you'll last a week then binge then go back to the old food.

At 259 pounds you could be eating double that a day and still loosing weight easily. I'd recomend you do that as it will be a lot easier to keep up long term.

Remember, it's not "a diet", it's a lifestyle change.
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Eat more. A lot more. Serious.

If you try and eat 1k cals a day you'll last a week then binge then go back to the old food.

At 259 pounds you could be eating double that a day and still loosing weight easily. I'd recomend you do that as it will be a lot easier to keep up long term.

Remember, it's not "a diet", it's a lifestyle change.
    Thanks. I'll log today in an hr or so. My sleeping schedule is all messed up. I've been staying up ill this week and sleeping in the middle of the day.

If you think so. Prior to the last couple weeks, which is when I started to cook again, I was skipping meals and then binging on high calorie foods or snacks.

I haven't been feeling as hungry this week but I suspect that's as I'm sick. I've just gotten up and will be doing some home exercises. Today was my cardio rest. It's my c25k day tomorrow again and I'll do that again in the afternoon.
    For tomorrow, I'll make sure to try to eat more. Healthily of course.

Again, thanks. I really appreciate the reply to this. Will update in an hr depending on what I manage.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you think so. Prior to the last couple weeks, which is when I started to cook again, I was skipping meals and then binging on high calorie foods or snacks.

For tomorrow, I'll make sure to try to eat more. Healthily of course.

Yea, If you aim for a sensible healthy 2k cals a day that will be good if you're 259 pounds and actively exercisign the weight will fall off at that much and it'll be easy to continue with.

At the lower aims you end up risking binging etc.
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nvmthename)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pics are before the weight gain
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Pics are before the weight gain
    My bad thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did the couch to 5k day two just now. Just got back in. I forgot to log yesterday's food which again wasn't much as I slept for most of it. Just running to the shop to get some fruit and juice. Once I have it, I'll cook, eat and then make the food entries.
    Today, I'm feeling much better. I wasn't sick once!!!
    Even on the run/walk, my heart didn't race as much and I don't have a headache afterwards like I had on Wed. The only discomfort I feel is in my legs which are sore.
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    that's a lot of weight. you must be very tall?
    Nope, just 5ft 10 and I think that's rounding up.
    (Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
    In. GL brah.

But is that all you've eaten today?
    Yes.

(Original post by Nvmthename)
    Then I had begun to gain weight. I had plateaued at 180 pounds for some time. In the last year and a half, since moving out, I've gained the extra 80 pounds. I was between those two weights at that point, towards the lower end I think.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If OP is obese, he doesn't really need to get that many calories if he doesn't feel like. He has 100lbs to lose. He has plenty of stored energy inside that will take care. The calories he get should be 90% from natural sources for health purposes. Once he gets closer to his goal ie down to 230lbs and might start training more, then he can up his calories. If he has a history of bingeing, then I would recommend a deficit closer to 500-750 calories... but that would mean it would take him two years to reach his goal! I would say don't think too much about calories - eat intuitively... if you are very hungry, eat a little more.

I would strongly recommend that you lift weights for 30-45 mins twice a week to support your goals. It really does work wonders. Maybe you could do:

Mon/Thurs: lift 30 mins + incline walk 30 mins
    Tues/Fri/Sun: couch to 5k
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCcfc92)
    If OP is obese, he doesn't really need to get that many calories if he doesn't feel like. He has 100lbs to lose. He has plenty of stored energy inside that will take care. The calories he get should be 90% from natural sources for health purposes. Once he gets closer to his goal ie down to 230lbs and might start training more, then he can up his calories. If he has a history of bingeing, then I would recommend a deficit closer to 500-750 calories... but that would mean it would take him two years to reach his goal! I would say don't think too much about calories - eat intuitively... if you are very hungry, eat a little more.

I would strongly recommend that you lift weights for 30-45 mins twice a week to support your goals. It really does work wonders. Maybe you could do:

Mon/Thurs: lift 30 mins + incline walk 30 mins
    Tues/Fri/Sun: couch to 5k
    I won't be going to the gym until I'm more confident about my body.
    I'm exploring the idea of callisthenics. When I'm able to do complete sets, I'll add that to my logs on here.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I won't be going to the gym until I'm more confident about my body.
    I'm exploring the idea of callisthenics. When I'm able to do complete sets, I'll add that to my logs on here.
    You could do bodyweight squats and push ups to begin with, or perhaps invest in a cheap DB to use at home? A 50 quid used set, up to 30-40kgs would set you up nicely. You could do all sorts - split squats, one leg RDLs, use the plates for single leg hip thrusts and core exercises and all upper body movements. I think it would be a great investment and you wouldn't even need to join a gym. Lifting will help your physique enormously, especially if you haven't lifted properly before... it's not just about weight and you don't want to get 'skinny-fat syndrome'.

I would definitely advise you to add walking to your regimen if you have time/a dog. Put in some earphones, listen to podcasts/music etc and get some sunlight - easy calories out without any stress on your body. Couch to 5k is good but is only a few days a week. You would have to restrict calories a lot. Maybe it's an idea to slowly implement things?
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    Silly me. The entry that says 16th on the 2nd post of this thread should read 15th as that's Wed's log.
    Here's what I've eaten over the last 2 days. I'm going food shopping tomorrow (got some money ) so should be eating more balanced and following motor's advice to eating normal meals. It's not a ct5k day but I'll be doing some walking.
    I've got to find a better route.

Name:	16-17.01.14.PNG 
Views:	333 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	263237
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could do bodyweight squats and push ups to begin with, or perhaps invest in a cheap DB to use at home?
    Yes, this is the plan. Squats and pushups are definitely exercises that I'd like to include in a daily routine. I'm not certain that DBs would be a worthwhile investment but I'll look into it.
    A 50 quid used set, up to 30-40kgs would set you up nicely. You could do all sorts - split squats, one leg RDLs, use the plates for single leg hip thrusts and core exercises and all upper body movements. I think it would be a great investment and you wouldn't even need to join a gym. Lifting will help your physique enormously, especially if you haven't lifted properly before... it's not just about weight and you don't want to get 'skinny-fat syndrome'.
    I'll think about it. Of course. My biggest fear is that I'll lose the weight and I'll just be left with loads of loose skin. That would be terrible.
    I would definitely advise you to add walking to your regimen if you have time/a dog. Put in some earphones, listen to podcasts/music etc and get some sunlight - easy calories out without any stress on your body. Couch to 5k is good but is only a few days a week. You would have to restrict calories a lot. Maybe it's an idea to slowly implement things?
    Of course. I plan to start walking to college on off days starting next week. Not from as crossing the busy highways terrifies me but in the morning, it should be quiet enough. Indeed, I'd usually walk with music but the podcast idea is excellent for getting in some info.

Slowly implement what sort of things?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this is the plan. Squats and pushups are definitely exercises that I'd like to include in a daily routine. I'm not certain that DBs would be a worthwhile investment but I'll look into it.

I'll think about it. Of course. My biggest fear is that I'll lose the weight and I'll just be left with loads of loose skin. That would be terrible.

Of course. I plan to start walking to college on off days starting next week. Not from as crossing the busy highways terrifies me but in the morning, it should be quiet enough. Indeed, I'd usually walk with music but the podcast idea is excellent for getting in some info.

Slowly implement what sort of things?
    Again, I would just like to say that lifting weights with dumbbells reallly will help you as it will allow for greater progression as opposed to calisthenics, which will help to a certain degree. The goal of lifting is to get stronger and gain muscle mass, which will mean that you are burning fat as opposed to muscle and more muscle equals more calories burnt and a MUCH more attractive/respectable physique (that we see so much benefit of in this superficial world.

In regards to what I meant about slowly implementing things... maybe start with calisthenics, progress to using weights, adding more walking etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    In to watch.
    You're starting a difficult journey but one for the best. Aesthetics aside, you'll be doing your health a massive favour by losing this weight.
    Good luck!
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    Again, I would just like to say that lifting weights with dumbbells reallly will help you as it will allow for greater progression as opposed to calisthenics, which will help to a certain degree. The goal of lifting is to get stronger and gain muscle mass, which will mean that you are burning fat as opposed to muscle and more muscle equals more calories burnt and a MUCH more attractive/respectable physique (that we see so much benefit of in this superficial world.

In regards to what I meant about slowly implementing things... maybe start with callisthenics, progress to using weights, adding more walking etc.
    I'm sure you know more about this than me. After all, I'm the vastly overweight one. But aren't the successful weight loss programs like Insanity based on body weight? Plus I've seen callisthenics guys on youtube who are amazingly ripped. I used to lift previously and I found it was always harder to do stuff involving my body. I had started gymnastics, before I left, whilst in yr 10 and started to lift weights to gain strength to do what what required but I always found handstands and such things to be harder than anything at the gym.

Thanks

Also, the updated current pics are now in the OP. Be warned, they're not pretty.
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobJ93)
    In to watch.
    You're starting a difficult journey but one for the best. Aesthetics aside, you'll be doing your health a massive favour by losing this weight.
    Good luck!
    Thanks, I know.
    When I'm running for the bus and up stairs and my heart is racing, I just know I have to get fitter.

I just can't can't put myself in a position to die of a hear attack before I even start my career. Especially when I'm aiming to get into a career path that is health-care related.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 14, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.