The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Done yesterday:

Deadlifts: 135kg 2x5 - got my old Rippetoes PB for two sets. Bar went up easily enough but had grip problems due to sweaty hands. Will maybe try chalk next time when I do 140.

Leg press: 50kg 2x10 - first time I've ever done these so was mainly just trying to learn decent form. Quite easy in theory, but after deadlifts, not so easy in reality. Will try 75 next time.

Lat pull downs: "level 6" 4x6 - what a crappy exercise, will do chins next time. Although when people do chins at my gym, their heads hit the roof tiles and tilts them up; if I pull myself up too fast I might shatter a tile, so I'll have to watch.

Bicep curls: 1x8, 1x6, 1x4 - had 8.25kg each side of an olympic EZ-bar. Did close grip though, I'm experimenting with a curl grip and variation that I'm comfortable with. My biceps were quite tired after the back work, although weighted chins (when I get round to doing them) and heavy bent over rows provide more overload than some sets of curls so I'm not too bothered if I don't get all the reps as they are the icing on the cake for my biceps.

Standing smith-machine calf raises: 60kg 3x15 - second time ever doing these. Felt a bit of a burn on the last few reps of the last two sets, but still had more in me. Will try 80 next time.

Overall, quite a good workout considering lack of sleep the night before and not much food during the day.
With your squat i'd say you should be able to leg press at least 175kg. Don't be gay and go for it proper! Theres no 'form' with leg press, just get in and push!

Nice deads mate.
Well I'm still getting used to it. And they're also quite hard to do after deadlifts.

Also, what's the best depth to go to to maximise the effect on quads?

Thanks.
Smack
Well I'm still getting used to it. And they're also quite hard to do after deadlifts.

Also, what's the best depth to go to to maximise the effect on quads?

Thanks.

As far as you can go tbh. The 45 degree press i sometimes use as springs to stop you going to far but like i said, no quarter/half reps. Close stance would probably hit the quads harder.
I would agree that you should do more for leg press, 50kg women who have never trained before could do it..

and with regards to deadlifts, I do them after hamstring and calf work, and can still do 250ish :wink:
Reply 85
smack how long have you been training?
Well I first started training when I was 16 sometime in February 07 until the end of June when I went on holiday. My squat was 100kg for five reps and my deadlift was the low 120's for five reps. But then I gave up again until the second week of October last year. So I've been training again for three and a half months.

Herr, thanks.

Peter North, 250kgs? Or lbs?
Incline bench press: 55kg 3x5 - plenty more in the tank.

Dumbell bench press: 35kg (17.5x2) 4x8 - plenty more in the tank.

Seated overhead press: 40kg 3x5 - damn these were hard. Never realised how much leg drive I use on standing military presses.

Tricep push downs: ?kg (but it was a large percentage of the stack) 3x10 - never realised one could use so much weight on these.

Weighted decline sit ups: 15kg 3x10 - easy enough, will do a 20kg plate.
Legs, back and biceps:

Squats: 130kg 2x5 - wore the belt, below parallel, will do 135kg next time.

Glute-ham raises: bodyweight 1x10, 1x8, 1x10 - never thought I'd manage to do these before but I tried them and they were fine, except I didn't rest long enough after the first set.

Barbell rows: 60kg 4x6 - medium. Will do 62.5kg next time.

Bicep curls: ?kg, 1x6, 1x4, 1x6 - don't know the weight of the bar, but it felt heavier than the 10kg plates I had on either side so I'd imagine the total was over 30kg. I'll try this again next time and get all 8 reps.

Smith machine standing calf raises: N/A - smith machine in use ...
Chest, triceps and shoulders:

Bench press: 70kg 3x2 - was aiming for 3x3, got the first two sets at a slow pace, unracked the bar, felt a ton, thought "nah, next time".

Incline dumbell bench press: 30kg (2x15) 4x8 - easy enough. Will try the 20's next time.

Standing military press: 47.5kg 3x5 - prefer this set and rep range for overheads, find it a lot easier to gain. Last two reps on last set a bit of a struggle, but at least I managed.

Skull crushers: 25kg 1x10, 1x5, 1x4 - after all that pressing my tri's were knackered. And also a 5kg weight jump.

Decline weighted sit-ups: 15kg 2x10 - easy enough except I was in an odd position where the weight hurt my ... you know what.The 20kg plate was too big for the job. I'm going to switch to hanging leg raises.

Overall, a good afternoon workout. Haven't eaten much today so I'm going to eat now.

I also weighed in at 87.5kg.
Reply 90
only did 6 reps benchpress in total?
Yes.
Reply 92
alright ok was just abit confuesed ther:smile:
A totally ***** workout tonight.

Legs, back and biceps

Deadlifts: 140kg 1x2 - was going to go for 145 but 130 felt like a ton. Third one just wasn't coming up. Next time I'm at my uni gym as opposed to my freezing cold garage I'll still shoot for 145 2x5, though.

Chin-ups: bodyweight 4x6 - experimented with different grips; widest is hardest, closest is easiest until around 6 inches.

Barbell bicep curls: 30kg 1x8, 1x6 - piss poor form so just called it a day here.
Smack
A totally ***** workout tonight.

Legs, back and biceps

Deadlifts: 140kg 1x2 - was going to go for 145 but 130 felt like a ton. Third one just wasn't coming up. Next time I'm at my uni gym as opposed to my freezing cold garage I'll still shoot for 145 2x5, though.

Chin-ups: bodyweight 4x6 - experimented with different grips; widest is hardest, closest is easiest until around 6 inches.

Barbell bicep curls: 30kg 1x8, 1x6 - piss poor form so just called it a day here.

Go 145kg 2 x 5 on Wed after a bit of squatting to warm you up? Ill give you a slap on the head for good measure.
I'll see, although probably not. From experience, I can't deadlift very well after squats: when I did Rippetoes, my squat was almost as good as my deadlift (which, especially for my body mechanics, shouldn't happen) and when I tried to do 1RM's in December, my squat and deadlift were exactly the same. I'll do some deadlifts so you can help me with my form, though.
Chest, shoulders, triceps:

Incline bench press: 60kg 3x5 - OK. I'll do 62.5 next time.

Dumbell bench press: N/A - was wanted to do the 20's, but they were taken, so I tried the 22.5's and felt something in my shoulder. So I moved on to attempt dips and they were hell on my shoulders. So I moved onto ...

Standing military press: N/A - shoulders still felt funny...

Then after that I decided to pack it in for the day. I doubt I'm injured but at the time I wanted to be cautious.

So a pretty crappy workout. Looking forward to Wednesday, though.
Gym shuts at 6:30pm so if you can make 5:00pm that gives us 90mins.
6:30? That's quite early. In which case, I'll consider heading out at 4ish.
Legs, back and biceps:

First, I should mention that I trained today with Stamper. He corrected my squat form to begin with (bar was too high on shoulders, shins were not being pushed out enough, and I was leaning too far forward). So I did quite a lot of quite light squats (60 to 100kg) to get my form corrected. I'm now squatting much better. Thanks to him for all the help.

I'm switching to box squats to help improve my squat form for a while.

Box squats: 130kg 1x5, 135kg 1x5 - first time I've done these. Will do 140kg next time.

Barbell rows: 65kg 4x6 - harder, will attempt 67.5kg next time.

Bicep curls: 12.5kg dumbells 2x8, 1x6 - will do same weight next time and get all reps.

Leg press machine calf raises - 50kg 3x15 - meh.

Quick Reply

Latest