The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
alan sugar agrees with dave
burningnun
I wouldn't think 1RM testing is necessary for conjugate-like routines. I've never done it, except in a meet. Nothing is ever done on a set percentage of your max.

That's why I'm only meant to test my 3-5RMs on this programme. At my stage, I still feel my form break down a bit too much on 1RMs, as proven by Tuesday's disastrous attempts.
Reply 142
i approve of the thread title.
Having looked through your other log, it seems to me that the reason you forgot how to squat is that you haven't been doing it for a long time. Your box squats are very impressive - I'm not sure if I could take 150 to my box raw 5 times but if you are struggling to free squat your box squat 5RM then there is obviously something wrong. I can probably do it with ease looking sideways, up, down, at my dick -- wherever, and I think I might speak for most people when I say this. In my opinion a 150 x 5,5 box squat should be transferring to close to a 182.5 free squat now, not in June. It could be that there is just a lack of practice that makes your form bad when you don't have the box there, or it could be a weakness caused by only box squatting. Box squats, done as Louie says (I can only guess that you are doing them like this, since I know you like Louie), will be very heavy on the posterior chain and light on the quads, due to a fairly open knee angle and a lot of sitting back. The quads are necessary for raw free squatting since you still have to extend your knees.

I am of the opinion that weak quads will result in leaning over, as explained here (yes, I know it's Mark "The Moron" Rippetoe's forum, but relax - it's someone else's post) http://strengthmill.net/forum/showpost.php?p=27630&postcount=9. My videos of squatting in wraps also seem to support this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRxfFiCWxqI My quads are artificially stronger than usual because I'm wearing wraps, and if you look at the second rep when it gets really hard, instead of leaning over I actually lift my chest, which pushes the knees a bit forward and finishing the rep like that - in other words by doing the complete opposite of a good morning. Quad weakness would be consistent with your journal. You don't really seem to train them that much apart from with light weight on a leg press.

If your 1RM testing was done to a box then this post is probably a waste of time. But still something to think about for when you do start to free squat, which is necessary if you are going to be a powerlifter.
Adonis
i approve of the thread title.

I just can't help feeling he's missed a trick by not having the second part as "my Westside Story" instead.
Chumbaniya
I just can't help feeling he's missed a trick by not having the second part as "my Westside Story" instead.

Agreed. Smack, change the title or negs :p:
You've obviously spent a lot of time with this response, thanks for your help. :smile:

burningnun
Having looked through your other log, it seems to me that the reason you forgot how to squat is that you haven't been doing it for a long time. Your box squats are very impressive - I'm not sure if I could take 150 to my box raw 5 times but if you are struggling to free squat your box squat 5RM then there is obviously something wrong. I can probably do it with ease looking sideways, up, down, at my dick -- wherever, and I think I might speak for most people when I say this. In my opinion a 150 x 5,5 box squat should be transferring to close to a 182.5 free squat now, not in June. It could be that there is just a lack of practice that makes your form bad when you don't have the box there, or it could be a weakness caused by only box squatting. Box squats, done as Louie says (I can only guess that you are doing them like this, since I know you like Louie), will be very heavy on the posterior chain and light on the quads, due to a fairly open knee angle and a lot of sitting back. The quads are necessary for raw free squatting since you still have to extend your knees.

I am of the opinion that weak quads will result in leaning over, as explained here (yes, I know it's Mark "The Moron" Rippetoe's forum, but relax - it's someone else's post) http://strengthmill.net/forum/showpost.php?p=27630&postcount=9. My videos of squatting in wraps also seem to support this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRxfFiCWxqI My quads are artificially stronger than usual because I'm wearing wraps, and if you look at the second rep when it gets really hard, instead of leaning over I actually lift my chest, which pushes the knees a bit forward and finishing the rep like that - in other words by doing the complete opposite of a good morning. Quad weakness would be consistent with your journal. You don't really seem to train them that much apart from with light weight on a leg press.

If your 1RM testing was done to a box then this post is probably a waste of time. But still something to think about for when you do start to free squat, which is necessary if you are going to be a powerlifter.

My 1RM testing was a free squat.

Lack of practice was definitely a factor in my failure on the 1RM testing. The SPBR only had me squatting once every 9/10 days. And then I had a week off, and then an extra day off as well. All in all, when I came to test my squat 1RM, it had been 15 days since I last squatted.

Lack of quad strength could also be a reason, although I'm more inclined to think that it's lack of abdominal strength. I'm going to up the ab training to rectify this, and also do high bar olympic squats beltless as the squat variant after deadlifting to help with the quads and abs.

The weight felt very heavy on my torso, and without the security of the parallel box to sit on I was a bit too scared to lean back properly. I'd have also been more happier if I worse loose enough shorts and trousers :p:

I also squat a lot deeper free compared to a parallel box. Parallel just doesn't feel deep enough without the box to prove to me that it was parallel.

I'll definitely up the quad training with this WS4SB variation though and see if that makes a difference.

More practice + stronger quads (relative to hamstrings and glutes) + stronger abs should = better powerlifting free squats.
If you're interested in powerlifting I think it's important to learn to squat to good depth. 1" below // in most feds, 1-5" below in the GBPF. I've had what I consider to be "perfect depth" (about an inch below) white lighted, but I've also seen good squats given reds.

Upping the ab training is smart. Your trunk can never be too strong. Ever.
Thanks for the advice. The elitefts training manual also says to set the box to 1" below parallel, so I'll keep that in mind.
First day of Westside training went extremely well.

Bench press:
Worked up to 70 x 3

Bent over barbell rows:
60 x 6
60 x 6
60 x 6
60 x 6

Incline dumbell bench press with hammer grip:
used the 15's
30 x 8
30 x 8
30 x 8

Face pulls with cable machine:
60lbs x 15
60lbs x 15

Kneeling cable abs:
110lbs x 15
110lbs x 15
110lbs x 15

Everything very easy. Happy that I've lost no strength on the bench from not doing it for months. In fact I've probably gained strength because the triple was far easier than when I first did it months ago. Rows easy enough, and I didn't want to go too heavy on the incline dumbell bench press seeing as it's only a supplemental press. First time doing face pulls and kneeling cable abs.
Reply 150
why did u do so low on the incline DB?
Reply 151
yeah good question
It's a supplemental lift, so I absolutely do not want to train too near failure. Last routine I did was the same, but I kept on making the mistake of training either to failure or too close to failure all the time. So it took me longer to recover and my main pressing movements, flat and incline barbell press, suffered because of it.

I also want to get the form nailed down this time. Last time, since I trained so close to failure on so many occasions, my form was crap. Plan was to get three sets of eight easy reps this time with proper form.
Reply 153
there's not going to failure

and there's not even working

come on man, you could've easily bumped it up to 20 or 25's
Reply 154
yeah dude what t said

15kg dbs are what most ppl curl, i have never ever DB pressed and i did 20kg dbs for 10 reps pissing about with my cousins & havent trained for 2 weeks. =/
Well as I said I wanted to start off light to make sure I was doing proper form. Now that I've got that nailed I'll start moving up. Next time I'll do the 20's. :wink:
Reply 156
Will be reading bro, keep it up
I'm at home for the weekend so I had to lift in my garage with limited equipment

Repetition upper:

Flat bench max reps:
60 x 11

Happy enough with this considering I never perform well in my garage due to lack of proper warm up and it was quite late at night.

Chin ups:
bodyweight x 9
bodyweight x 9
bodyweight x 6
bodyweight x 6

Not too happy with these. Really ought to be able to do more.

Barbell shrugs:
70 x 10
70 x 10
70 x 10

First time doing these. Didn't feel too natural with a barbell, and don't plan on doing these when I have access to dumbells for other delt work as opposed to trap work.

Skull crushers:
20 x 10
20 x 10
20 x 10

These don't feel good on my right elbow. When I'm at my uni gym/get bands for my garage I'll do pull downs instead as they feel much better on my elbow. Also kept the rest periods very low due to small weight being used.

Barbell curls:

25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10

Kept rest times down due to small weight being used. Also these feel crappy on my wrists.

Tried to do decline sit ups with plate behind head, but that seemed to induce the gag reflex when I started to decline. Couldn't do them for some reason so I called it a night as I didn't want to puke all over myself.
Pretty ****** session tonight ...

ME lower:

Squat:
Again, my weak abs really showed. I got to 150 and after that I did what Chuck V did with his 1110lb squat yesterday. So nothing heavier than that until I get my abs sorted.

It's also been two weeks since I last squatted, and for me regular squatting is the key to getting god at them, so probably once I start squatting again regularly my form will improve. Things I need to focus on are:
Correct bar position; taking in enough air and holding it; pushing against the belt to create intra abdominal pressure; correct head position.

I've read many different things on head position. I'm going to experiment with different angles, from -15 degrees (looking a tad downwards) to +30 degrees and see what suits me best.

Good mornings:
60 x 8
60 x 8
60 x 8

Last few reps quite hard on last set. Done beltless as well.

Hypers:
bodyweight x 8
bodyweight x 8
bodyweight x 8

First time doing these; did them weightless to get the form correct first.

GHR's:
bodyweight x 8
bodyweight x 7

Been a while since I done these, and I've lost a bit of strength on them. Should get back up once I do them more often.
Me upper:

Flat bench:
Worked up to 75 x 3. Was quite easy thankfully, so I'll give 80 a try next time.

Bent over barbell rows:
65 x 6
65 x 6
65 x 6
65 x 6

Last few reps on last set a bit difficult, that's all.

Incline dumbell bench press:
used the 20's
40 x 8
40 x 8
40 x 8

Simple.

Face pulls:
70lbs x 15
70lbs x 15

Simple.

Standing cable abs:
120lbs x 15
120lbs x 15
120lbs x 15

Like doing these, a good ab exercise I can be progressive on.

Quick Reply

Latest