The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

You're a real person!
Also what gym is that looks nice.
Original post by redbuthotter
Also what gym is that looks nice.

Aberdeen sports village. Got three racks with integrated platforms, plus two more platforms.
RPE about 5 on the squats lol.

Good work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not a bad session tonight. Back still the same.

Squats:

149 x 5/5/5

A bit harder, I think.

Press:

82.5 x f/1

First rep the bar dipped a bit so no lift; got it the second time though. PR.

Then did some ****ing about. Did some weighted chins with 5 kg, 4 reps I think, but only one set because other people were needing to use the rack and it was awkward trying to hold a dumbbell between my feet. Then did some snatch grip deadlifts with 110 for a few reps for two sets as the bar was loaded. Then some mobility then home.
Original post by Smack
Not a bad session tonight. Back still the same.

Squats:

149 x 5/5/5

A bit harder, I think.

Press:

82.5 x f/1

First rep the bar dipped a bit so no lift; got it the second time though. PR.

Then did some ****ing about. Did some weighted chins with 5 kg, 4 reps I think, but only one set because other people were needing to use the rack and it was awkward trying to hold a dumbbell between my feet. Then did some snatch grip deadlifts with 110 for a few reps for two sets as the bar was loaded. Then some mobility then home.

Video of the press?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Video of the press?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't take one.
Okay session tonight. Back still the same.

Squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Deloaded because my knees were sliding forward throughout the movement, and hence knees been feeling a bit rough the last few days.

CGBP:

82.5 x 5/5/5

Not too hard except last rep of last set, i.e. last rep syndrome.

Deadlifts:

160 x 5

Deloaded because back was rounding far too much. Was quite a bit better this time.

Some lacrosse ball work them home.
First session in a while. Been ill - nothing major, but the fatigue and loss of appetite was worse. Back feeling the same, still.

Squats:

120 x 5/5/5

Weight not bad but form felt a bit off, and the squint angle of the rack relative to the mirror didn't help.

Press:

60 x 5/5/5

Weight felt heavy but bar speed didn't look too bad nor did anything feel excruciating.

Power cleans:

80 x 3/3/3

Going to start doing these again in the hope they help me pull with a flat back.

Lacrosse ball work throughout the session then home.
Not a bad session tonight. Back still the same though.

Squats:

125 x 5/5/5

Not hard.

Bench press:

80 x 5/5/5

Not hard, but first time benching in a while - since before my shoulder/elbow gave me grief, even.

Deadlifts:

150 x 5

Not hard, although hooked for the last three reps.

Good box squats mate. Your DL and squats I would say are really better than average.
Not a good session tonight. Everything felt heavy and just felt exhausted after the first set of squats. Probably nutrition related. And back still the same; maybe even a bit worse.

Squats:

127.5 x 5/5/5

Far harder than they should have been.

Press:

62.5 x 5/5/5

Same as above.

This took a while for two lifts and six sets. Did lacrosse ball work throughout the session, then home, disappointed.
Not a bad session this afternoon, although low back feeling a bit funny as well as the usual. Something to keep an eye on, although maybe I just need to stretch my hip flexors and hamstrings.

Squats:

130 x 5/5/5

Easier than last time. Thankfully. Just felt better.

Bench press:

82.5 x 5/5/5

Difficult to guess this, as for me the bench always feels heavy even when my spotter says it was nice and fast. But didn't have spotter this afternoon, so not going to guess.

Power cleans:

80 x 3/3/3/3/3

Some reps better than others. Getting back into these.

Not a terrible session this evening. Didn't feel my low back the same as last time, but upper back still feeling quite tight and achy.

Squats:

132.5 x 5/5/5

Quite hard. Probably form related - I think I was trying to shove my hips back too far without allowing the knees to slide forward into position (i.e. essentially trying to keep my shins almost vertical), this torso was likely too horizontal to be comfortably squatting with on several reps, and back was probably rounding a bit too. In the future I need to not be afraid of letting the knees come forward in the initial part of the squat, so I can then focus on sitting into it to get the hips involved, as opposed to just trying to shove my hips back and hope I hit depth without letting my back round too much. And knees probably slide forward at the bottom this way too.

Press:

65 x 5/5/5

Hard.

Deadlifts:

155 x 5

Not too bad. But was told that I wasn't tight enough, which I cannot disagree with (it's the number one problem I have with ... well ... almost all of my lifts) and was also jerking the bar off the ground, which was also a fair assessment - likely due to not being tight enough, too.

Lacrosse ball work in the back throughout the session then home.
Meh session this afternoon. Mid/low back (not sure if it was the bottom of the thoracic spine or top of the lumber spine) hurting a bit more than usual.

Squats:

135 x 5/5/5

Meh.

Bench press:

85 x 3/0

Egregious.

Deadlifts:

160 x 5

Not too bad.

A bit of lacrosse ball work through the session then home.
Okay session tonight.

Squats:

137.5 x 5/5/5

Not too bad - better than last time actually.

Press:

62.5 x 5/5/5

Didn't want to push it after last week's performance on the bench press, but this wasn't all that difficult.

Deadlifts:

165 x 3/1

Meh. Just didn't have the tightness, grip was feeling weak, felt out of breath, not taking big enough breaths ... a whole myriad of reasons why deadlifting tonight didn't go to plan.

Some lacrosse ball work throughout the session then home.
Decent enough session tonight. Had to wait ages for a rack, though.

Squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Not bad at all.

Bench press:

85 x 5/5/3

Overall not terrible, except last set when I was rushing and hit the pins on the way up which ruined me.

Power cleans:

85 x 3/3/3/3/3

Okay.

A bit of lacrosse ball work through the session then home.
Mixed session tonight. Was going to delay until tomorrow but went tonight instead, perhaps against my better judgement. Not going doesn't help, I know that. Back (mid and upper mainly) been feeling awkward lately, and traps feel tight, as does front of neck.

Squats:

135 x 5/5/5

Not too bad.

Press:

60 x 5/5/5

Not difficult.

Deadlifts:

165 x 2

This is where things ****ed up. Grip was feeling weak (hook grip too), and mid back especially not liking these. Didn't push it. Form felt pretty poor too - lack of extension and not taking deep breaths. Think I might need to deload a fair bit in order to get the form nailed down.

Stretching, some lacrosse ball work then home.
Okay session tonight. Pecs and neck feeling really tight.

Squats:

137.5 x 5/5/5

Not as good as last time.

Press:

62.5 x 5/5/5

Not bad really.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5

Need to get back into doing these again.

A bit of lacrosse ball work then home.
Okay session tonight. Diet not been great, I must say.

Squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Not too bad I was informed, although felt a bit difficult cardiovascularly (I made that word up).

Press:

65 x 5/5/5

Overextending low back. Letting bar go too far forward. Became very difficult when doing this.

Deadlifts:

140 x 5

Resetting to get the back right. I think it's mainly in the lats and taking a deep breath. Even used double overhand, and maybe dropped it slightly before locking out last rep.

Some lacrosse ball work then home.

Quick Reply

Latest