The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Okay session tonight.

Squats:

150 x 5/5/5

Not bad, de-loading to work on eliminating knee slide. A bit harder on the low back, and still have work to do.

Bench press:

100 x 3/3/3
90 x 7

Not bad.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5

Wrist not feeling it.

Then home.
Same as last time.

Squats:

152.5 x 5/5/5

Same as last time.

Press:

72.5 x 5/5/5

Very difficult, but happy with this.

Power cleans:

87.5 x 3/3/3/3/3

Form going a bit. Need to keep tight.

Some lacrosse ball work then home.
Little bit disappointing tonight. Knee still the same. Traps and neck feeling tight too.

Squats:

130 x 5/5/5

Really deloaded these to try to get them right. Last time squats were just as bad as Monday's. Need to deload by quite a lot it seems to get the hang of shoving hips back and not dive-bombing into it with knees sliding forward.

Bench press:

102.5 x 2/3/3

First set a bit poor but surprised I got the second two. Also 102.5 is the most I have ever benched.

Deadlifts:

190 x 3

Kinda ****ed up as I missed 170 double overhand and I should know by now not to push my grip on my warm-ups as it ****s up my set.

Then home.
Okay session this evening. Knee still the same.

Squats:

132.5 x 5/5/5

Obviously weight not bad, just trying to control knee slide. Need to learn to stick hips back and lean over more and not collapse into the bottom.

Press:

74 x 5/5/5

Very difficult. Abs really feeling it.

Tried some pull ups and chins but wrist not liking them. So did some stretching then home.
Not a great session tonight. Knee still the same.

Squats:

135 x 5/5/5

Again trying to fix my form. The video will tell how it went, but I still don't think I am successful.

Bench press:

102.5 x 3/2/1
80 x 6/6 - paused.

Disappointed with these.

Pull ups:

bodyweight x 6/5/4

Then home.
Another not brilliant session tonight. Knee still the same.

Squats:

137.5 x 5/5/5

Not feeling like I am making any progress with regard to knee slide reduction.

Press:

75 x 5/5/4

New 5 RM. Bit disappointed to not get the last rep though.

Deadlifts:

190 x 1

This was ****, not sure what happened here.

A little bit of lacrosse ball work then home.
Strong AF pressing though
Better session tonight.

Squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Maybe making a bit of progress with regards to form correction, maybe not.

Bench press:

95 x 5/5/5
90 x 8

95 wasn't too bad at all. 90 x 8 is a rep PR.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/5/5/4

Okay. Not done these in a while.

Some stretching then home.
Not a good session tonight.

Squats:

142.5 x 5/5/5

Regressed form wise. Knee slide much more pronounced and collapsing into the hole rather than staying tight.

Press:

75 x 4/4/2
60 x 7

Disappointing. Wore my wrist wraps on the first set but they seem to make it harder (wore them on the last set last time where I also missed a rep).

Deadlifts:

190 x 5

Form pretty crap, but got them all. Need to breath harder and keep upper back and lats tight.

Then home.
Not a great session tonight... Knee still the same.

Squats:

130 x 5/5/5

De-loaded again to try and get it right.

Bench press:

97.5 x 2/5/5/4

First set used the safety pins as no spot, but they put me off as in order to be effective they must be set at a level in which the bar clips them.

Deadlifts:

195 x 0

Not sure what happened here. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to do deadlifts two sessions in a row...

Then home.
Not a great session this afternoon. Feeling tight and tired.

Squats:

132.5 x 5/5/5

Hopefully I am on the right track. Trying to slow the descent down which should help, as well as keeping constant head and gaze angle.

Press:

75 x 4

I think I will switch to triples now. Never really had the energy here.

Then quite a bit of lacrosse ball work and foam rolling and home.
Some good and some bad tonight. Knee still the same.

Squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Think I am at least on the right track with form now. Getting my knees forward early and not dive-bombing into the hole.

Bench press:

97.5 x 5/5/5
90 x 5 - close grip

Not too bad actually.

Deadlifts:

195 x 0

Same as last time. Not sure what's going on here. 170 warm up wasn't difficult at all.

Some foam rolling then home.
Average session tonight.

Squats:

142.5 x 5/5/5

Not good tonight. Rack was quite squint against the wall and even though I try to look down, it still puts me off and makes me feel like I am putting more of the load through my right leg than left. Didn't manage to build on the improvements from last session: head angle and gaze not constant, divebombing into the hole and not keeping tight.

Press:

75 x 3/3/3/3/3

Okay. Switching to triples, hopefully can squeeze out some more progression this way.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/6/3

Some foam rolling, lacrosse ball work, then home.
Okay session tonight. I bought a pair of Adipowers (black and red) to replace my Ironwork 3s. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Ironworks, however, they were a size larger than what I should have bought and I was beginning to want a more snug-fitting shoe. The Adipowers also have a slightly lower heel height (about 0.75" compared to 1" on my Ironworks, I think), which helps a bit with the powerlifts. 1" is the max I would recommend for the powerlifts. Overall I think the Adipowers are a great shoe, but so were my Ironworks, having lasted all these years and still essentially as good as new, if not for a few scuffs here and there.

Squats:

145 x 5/5/5

First set not good, second set much better, third set mixed.

Bench press:

100 x 4/4/3

A bit disappointing, but then I have done a fair bit of pressing work already this week, and my eating yesterday was poor.

Deadlifts:

180 x 5

Not too bad.

Then home.
Nice lifting. I love the adipowers. Very nice shoes.

You can probably sell the ironworks second hand for a decent amount.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Nice lifting. I love the adipowers. Very nice shoes.

You can probably sell the ironworks second hand for a decent amount.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is something of a fetish for wooden heeled shoes amongst certain members of the weightlifting community, and the added heel height of the Ironworks makes them possibly more useful for Olympic weightlifting compared to the current crop of 0.75" heeled shoes, but I think there is plenty of Ironwork 3s on the market and they don't go for that much on Ebay. Probably will still sell them, though.

If it was the 2008 Adistars, however ... :wink:
What size are the iron works?
Original post by Smack
There is something of a fetish for wooden heeled shoes amongst certain members of the weightlifting community, and the added heel height of the Ironworks makes them possibly more useful for Olympic weightlifting compared to the current crop of 0.75" heeled shoes, but I think there is plenty of Ironwork 3s on the market and they don't go for that much on Ebay. Probably will still sell them, though.

If it was the 2008 Adistars, however ... :wink:

I miss the wooden heel on my old do-wins.
Original post by Angry cucumber
What size are the iron works?

11 UK.

Original post by hezzlington
I miss the wooden heel on my old do-wins.

They make that nice snapping sound against the wood platforms but I think modern shoes have done away with them for cost reasons.
Original post by Smack
11 UK.

They make that nice snapping sound against the wood platforms but I think modern shoes have done away with them for cost reasons.

Cost? Really?! I thought it was more weight related. Mine are some weird composite material, but they're absolutely solid despite looking very....unstable.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest