The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Hello, and welcome to the longest running TSR Fitness log in history!

I though I'd merge all my logs into one because there is no point in having a million different ones. I started this way back in November 08, a month after having been lifting. This is the only site I've been consistently logging on over the years.

I should also note that I was quite ill from September 09 to December 09 and thus made absolutely no progress. In fact, I regressed quite badly - back to stage 1. Very little training from July to September because I was busy with moving houses and stuff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I though I'd start my very own workout blog since I've started going to the gym - well I've been going for 4 weeks now, actually. I'll be doing Rippetoes as the title implies. For anyone who doesn't know what this workout entails, here it is:

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay Rows

Workouts A and B are done on non consecutive days; for example, my schedule for lifting is Monday, Wednesday and Friday. At first glance, the workout may seem easy - and to begin with, for the first few weeks, it is. But the trick is, you add in some extra exercises once you progress a little.

For example, on Fridays, I now do some arm work - biceps 2x8 and triceps for 2x8. I do 2x12 weighted decline situps on Monday and Friday as well as Wednesday if I can be arsed. I also want to add in pullups and dips but I don't think I'm strong enough for that.

The trick is not to over do the extra work since it isn't essential; what's essential is making progress on the big 5 lifts every workout. If begin to slow down on the main lifts, I'll cut out the extra work for a week.

So, here beings my log:

Part One: It started a long long time ago...

There's something I should mention before I begin to write this log, for if I didn't you wouldn't believe me that I am a skinny ecto who finds it hard to gain size and strength. I've actually already lifted before, doing this exact same program.

It was almost 2 years ago that I first did this program. I started in the middle of Febuary 07 and continued until the end of June. I went from 6'2 149lbs to 180lbs. My 5rm squat went from ... um ... I can't remember ... was the bar and not much more ... to 100KG. Bench went from just over 30KG to the mid 50's, I can't remember my first deadlift but I remember I attempted to deadlift 123KG (this was one of every plate I had on a standard 1" diameter 7ft barbell) and failed on my last ever proper workout. Can't remember beginning stats for row and overhead press but they ended up in the mid 50's and 40's respectively.

Not bad progress you might think. And I agree. However, it could have been better had I not made so much mistakes. The first one was that my diet wasn't as good as it should have been. When you're totally dependent on your parents who don't believe in greed, getting the required nutrition is quite hard. Add to this with the fact that between 9 and half 3 I was in school and their food was pure junk food crap, and that I was too lazy/young to get a decent job to pay for my own food, I didn't get as good gains as I could have, looking back on things.

Other, smallers mistakes were thinking deadlifts were 3x5 instead of just 1x5 for the first few weeks, doing a circuit instead of all sets of one exercise followed by the other, and wearing a belt far too early. I think the too early use of the belt hampered my strength gains on dead and squat because wearing it didn't allow me to properly tax my core. I started to wear it when I first squatted 95KG, which really is too light a weight to wear a belt. My mid section really ougth to have had more exposure first.

Now you may be wondering why I stopped. Well, I stopped because of three things (in order of importance): illness, laziness, and injury. Firstly, injury: I had came back from holiday in the middle of July (I mentioned my last ever proper workout was on the end of June, this is because I left to go on holiday the next day for two weeks) without having worked out for two weeks. I tried my usual deep squat - I always went ATG - and hurt my knee for two weeks. I most definitely had crap form and since I was wore a belt too early my mid section probably couldn't handle the weight. I was out of any leg action movements for two to three weeks. Since then I was lazy, and did the same again putting myself out of action again.

Then I got very ill. Lost about 20lbs and a lot of my strength during my several months of illness. I never properly recovered until around March of this year, and then the lazyness stopped me from properly working out again until I went to uni and joined the gym there. Of course, I was still pretty lazy and didn't go until about a month after I went to uni. I did lift the occasional weight between my proper workout spells, but nothing much and nothing consistent. I think the most I ever got was three sessions in a row than a month off...

But that was then, and this is now.

So onto Part Two:

I moved out to uni on the 13th of September. My uni has a state of the art 10 million quid gym with four olympic platforms, 5 squat racks and a few benches. Since most students don't partake in much physical activity, instead sleeping in until the middle of the afternoon and eating pot noodles, the whole of the weights room is pretty much empty until 5pm - when the non student members finish work and come lift. Good for me. :smile:

So, stats;

Recorded 4 weeks ago, just before I went to the uni gym for the first time to start Rippetoes again;

Height: 6'3
Weight: 165lbs

After a session of A and one of B, my 5RM's were;

Squat: 80KG (tried this weight on my first session, an A session, and failed near the end, so did it the next session and got it)
Bench: 50KG
Deadlift: 100KG
Row 45KG
Military press: 40KG

Now, after 4 weeks of progress:

Squat: 105KG
Bench: 57.5KG
Deadlift: 120KG
Row: 52.5KG
Military press: 45KG (tried 47.5KG twice but failed on last reps, so will do 42.5 then work back up)

And I now weigh 180lbs. Must be muscle memory that I managed to gain 15lbs in 4 weeks.

Oh well. Good for me. :smile:

Oh, and goals are;

For before Christmas;

Weight: 190lbs

Squat: 120KG
Deadlift: 150KG
Bench press: 70KG

And for when academic year ends sometime in May;

Weight 210lbs+

Squat: 140KG
Deadlift: 180KG
Bench press: 100KG

I'm trying to be realistic here, for I cannot tell the future and how long I will manage to make progress on Rippetoes. I show no signs of stalling on squat or dead, but my military already has and I feel like my bench will soon. I'm hoping to milk all I can out of Rippetoes which I hope will last until after Christmas, and then go onto Bill Starr 5x5.

If I easily make my Christmas goals then I will increase my end of term goals.

So that's all for part two. Thanks for reading.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nice lifts & good luck
I thought Power cleans were subbed for Pendlay Rows 3x5 and Wide grip pull ups 2x8 ?
Reply 3
I'd just do pullups instead of rows if you have a bar. I don't like rows apart from DB rows with one arm.
Reply 4
burningnun
I'd just do pullups instead of rows if you have a bar. I don't like rows apart from DB rows with one arm.

PULLUPS ARE CRAP I NEVER DO THEM.
Reply 5
Touche, I meant chins.
Transatlanticdrawl_
I thought Power cleans were subbed for Pendlay Rows 3x5 and Wide grip pull ups 2x8 ?

Yeah I'm doing pendlay rows instead of power cleans. However, the wide grip pull ups are not an essential part of the program.

That's not the program, though.
Reply 7
burningnun
Touche, I meant chins.

Better. Chins are more functional.

In "real-life" I have yet to be in a situation where I have been rock climbing (or any other scenario involving pulling myself with an overhand grip). However, there have been innumerous times when I have had to invite girls to the "gunshow" in my bedroom, using my biceps so finely crafted from my supinated grip pullups, aka, chin-ups.
Smack

Neither are rows:wink:
Reply 9
Smack

Practical Programming for Strength Training - Rippetoe and Kilgore

Page 155
Well I must admit I haven't got the book, just read the sticky at bb.com.
"I've seen this program, and Kethnaab ran it by me before he posted it. It is basically correct. It was written in response to a big demand from the young guys that hang out at bbdotcom that will not buy the books anyway. My novice program does not use dips, rows, or curls, but since the little assholes are going to add them anyway the thinking is that they might as well be limited in volume by the program, so he put them in."

Mark Rippetoe
Reply 12
Smack
Well I must admit I haven't got the book, just read the sticky at bb.com.

Neither does Burningnun. He's hoping you won't check.

burningnun
"I've seen this program, and Kethnaab ran it by me before he posted it. It is basically correct. It was written in response to a big demand from the young guys that hang out at bbdotcom that will not buy the books anyway. My novice program does not use dips, rows, or curls, but since the little assholes are going to add them anyway the thinking is that they might as well be limited in volume by the program, so he put them in."

Mark Rippetoe

Mark Rippetoe didn't say that either. In fact I doubt he even exists. Has anyone seen him IRL? Exactly.
I AM MARK RIPPETOE

the troof is out
Lozzaa
Better. Chins are more functional.

In "real-life" I have yet to be in a situation where I have been rock climbing (or any other scenario involving pulling myself with an overhand grip). However, there have been innumerous times when I have had to invite girls to the "gunshow" in my bedroom, using my biceps so finely crafted from my supinated grip pullups, aka, chin-ups.

Wide grip pull ups are better, and is why they are harder. Surely it's the opposite when rock climbing, as well as other uses? Why would you pull yourself up anything with an underhand grip?
Most people aren't climbers. Chins use more muscles, which is why I think they're better (since we want to train all our muscles). Pullups are good too of course, and luckily nobody is making you choose just one.
Update time!

Part Four:

This session was on Friday night, a workout B night. Went quite well for not having eaten much on Thursday due to exhaustion mainly (was out Wednesday night and didn't get back until 5am, up at 8am for lectures).

Lifts were;

Squats: 107.5KGx5x3 - felt quite easy once I got into it. I thought it'd be a killer as, for some reason, my 100KGx1 last warmup was brutal - probably more brutal than my worksets!

Military press: 42.5KGx5x3 - surprisingly hard for a weight I've done 2.5KG more than for 5 easy reps a week ago. You see, I've decided to reset my overhead press as I am sure I stalled on it (two consecutive sessions of not managing 47.5KGx3x5). From the past, this was always my weakest point, the one that went up the least. I'm hoping to get to 60KG before I have to quit this program, though.

Pendlay Rows: 55KGx5x3 - not much to say about this. Fairly easy, really. Should get at least another 15KG out of this one before I begin to slow down.

Since it was the last workout of the week I added in barbell curls for 2x8 of just the olympic barbell. However, I tried to use the strictest form possible. No swinging the weight up or using momentum or anything. Was quite easy, but then again these are not part of the official program so I don't want to overdo these at the expense of the main lifts.

Also did abs, 2x12 decline sit-ups with 10KG on chest.

Workout was quite late at night (10pm), if you're wondering, and in my garage. (Yes, I have a power rack, olympic bar and 215KG of discs and an adjustable bench in my garage. Got it last summer, all parts individually, cost me a fortune. Makes it all the more stupid that I gave up working out practically.)

Onto ... Part Five:

This was a workout A day. Done this evening at around 6pm. Gym was full of people, the most full I've ever seen it. A lot of big guys as well. I wasn't expecting this to be too good a workout as I had around 5 hours sleep last night, and not the best nutrition so far. So onto the lifts;

Squats: 110KGx5x3 - these were a killer, as expected. Managed them all, but wasn't happy with form on latter reps. Will still move up 2.5KG for Wednesday as I think this may have been due to lack of sleep the previous night. I can also feel that I may stall on this lift soon, but hopefully not before I hit the 120KG mark.

Bench press: 60KGx5x3 - easier than expected. Was worried that this exercise would just hover around the 50KG mark like it did the last time I tried this program, but today I broke that 60KG mark and wasn't that challenged. I think I easily have another 10KG before I begin to slow down and struggle.

Deadlifts: 125KGx5x1 - excruciatingly difficult. Held decent form though - could see myself in the mirror, but was well challenging. My lower back felt shagged from the squats. Also, my grip was about to give, methinks, on one of the reps. Might consider chalk, if I'm allowed. Hope I am, as it is an olympic gym.

I'm considering wearing the belt again, soon. Lower back was hit really hard today, so hard I decided to skip the abs as weighted decline sit-ups hit the lower back quite hard for me. What do you guys think about wearing a belt?
Part Six:

Just a small update here ...

Squats: 112.5KGx5x3 - fairly easy, for some reason. Felt like I had good form and could have gone heavier. Will expect 115KG on Friday for sure.

Military press: 45KGx5x3 - OK. I think one the of reasons I stalled so early on this exercise, and was never previously good at it, was because my form was crap. Now, I try to get my head directly under the bar as soon as I can. I find it a bit easier like this.

Pendlay row: 55KGx5x3 - I know I did this weight the last time, but the gym didn't have any 1.25KG plates around for some reason and my back felt rather tired. Was quite challenging, but should still manage an extra 2.5KG next time.
Reply 18
Nice squats. What's your age/BW btw?
18 years old and 180lbs.

Quick Reply

Latest