The Student Room Group

Economics at Cambridge and LSE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
how do i show the passion; application has already been sent and i dont think theres interviews!
Reply 21
i reckon you have an excellent chance of getting in , the only thing i think could let you down is your 1 B in your gcse but other than that great CV!
Reply 22
cheers every1. my B was in DT ne way so hopefully that might be overlooked lol.
Reply 23
panda-size
mstawarz1, you are fine, stand a decent chance at both unis.

But h4r5h, you definitely stand a chance at cam, probably not at lse. Even i say 4A* is too little.

Are you an international applicant by any chance?
Did you apply this year?

[INDENT]Hi,just wondering if there is any chance of getting an offer. For AS I studied maths, further maths, biology and chemistry and thinking of dropping chemistry next year. I did c3 maths this year, but went as bad as possible so will have to resist. Does this limit my chances of getting an offer greatly as will lower My average ums score.also as not doing an essay subject, does this also limit my chances( couldn't do economics as no where teaches it in my county ) what work experience would help? Although very limited work experience jan my area of rural mid wales. Thanks[/INDENT]

Original post by vickyevans97

[INDENT]Hi,just wondering if there is any chance of getting an offer. For AS I studied maths, further maths, biology and chemistry and thinking of dropping chemistry next year. I did c3 maths this year, but went as bad as possible so will have to resist. Does this limit my chances of getting an offer greatly as will lower My average ums score.also as not doing an essay subject, does this also limit my chances( couldn't do economics as no where teaches it in my county ) what work experience would help? Although very limited work experience jan my area of rural mid wales. Thanks[/INDENT]

If you haven't actually taken Maths A2 (eg 3 A2 modules), then you don't need to declare your C3 if it's bad. If it turns out to be alright, declare it. It doesn't matter, as long as they are reputable subjects. Work experience is not needed. Good luck!
What stage of the application process are you at? (I'm an LSE Economics student)

Posted from TSR Mobile
You won't get into either without further maths.
Original post by Groundearth
You won't get into either without further maths.

Stop throwing around lies.
Original post by JOR2010
Stop throwing around lies.

LSE: 'An additional qualification in Further Maths, at any level, if offered, is highly preferred as an indication of mathematical ability. However we are aware that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a Further Maths programme and find it helpful if applicants and/or their referees can indicate whether or not the applicant's school or college offers Further Maths classes. Please note, however, that Further Maths, if taken as a full A level, is generally seen as an 'additional' or fourth subject, rather than a substitute for one of your three main subjects. Thus a combination of Maths, Further Maths and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills.'

Cambridge: '
Essential A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics Useful AS or A Level/IB Higher Level Further Mathematics, A Level/IB Higher Level Economics, A Level Business Studies/IB Higher Level Business and Management (if Economics is unavailable)
Economics and Further Mathematics are considered useful preparation but are not essential.'

All that is a polite way of saying if you were given the opportunity to take further maths and have not, you won't get in. If a school doesn't offer it, there are still ways to take it through the further maths network, which somebody considering Cambridge or LSE should have had the dedication to undertake. There are thousands of applicants applying with further maths, and somebody who decided not to take it can yes, technically be admitted, but they have to say that to cover themselves. Realistically, it won't happen without further maths, because why should it? This is the top universities in the country we're talking about, who have the privilege of only taking the most intelligent and dedicated students.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Groundearth
LSE: 'An additional qualification in Further Maths, at any level, if offered, is highly preferred as an indication of mathematical ability. However we are aware that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a Further Maths programme and find it helpful if applicants and/or their referees can indicate whether or not the applicant's school or college offers Further Maths classes. Please note, however, that Further Maths, if taken as a full A level, is generally seen as an 'additional' or fourth subject, rather than a substitute for one of your three main subjects. Thus a combination of Maths, Further Maths and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills.'

Cambridge: '
Essential A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics Useful AS or A Level/IB Higher Level Further Mathematics, A Level/IB Higher Level Economics, A Level Business Studies/IB Higher Level Business and Management (if Economics is unavailable)
Economics and Further Mathematics are considered useful preparation but are not essential.'

All that is a polite way of saying if you were given the opportunity to take further maths and have not, you won't get in. If a school doesn't offer it, there are still ways to take it through the further maths network, which somebody considering Cambridge or LSE should have had the dedication to undertake. There are thousands of applicants applying with further maths, and somebody who decided not to take it can yes, technically be admitted, but they have to say that to cover themselves. Realistically, it won't happen without further maths, because why should it? This is the top universities in the country we're talking about, who have the privilege of only taking the most intelligent and dedicated students.

Whilst I appreciate you have read the websites, a FOI request for Cambridge suggested that only around 50 to 60% of offer holders had Further Maths. I can't tell you what the figures are for LSE, but FM is not a requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending