The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
treasureBelle
Hypermobility problems in my fingers, and muscle problems in my left hand. I find it painful to handwrite a lot, so I write slower than other people. Thus, I usually type my homework, and get extra time in exams. Some people at college advise me to simply "write faster"... :rolleyes: if it was that easy, I'd do it.
Or they act like having extra time in exams is giving me an "advantage" of some sort. :rolleyes: .... No.... it's trying to give me an equal opportunity. I *still* can't write anywhere near as much as them in exams, even *with* the extra time.

It's mostly invisible, unless I'm wearing my glove when I write. :yep:

Same here. I always feel stupid when people ask me why I get extra time and I say 'My wrists hurt when I write too much.' I always think they're just thinking 'Yeh..so do mine, get over it.'

I had a physics mock in my lesson the other day and I asked the teacher if I'd get my extra time. Someone on my table turned around and said 'Don't give it to her, she doesn't need more thinking time.'

It affects my hips too, so sometimes I can't walk very far without being in a lot of pain and stopping. Everyone just thinks I'm lazy.
Reply 41
Does a stammer count? Mine only tends to flare up when I'm excited or nervous, but when it does, it really does. :frown: Most people will eventually work out I have a stammer, but the first thing they'll say to me is; "You can't hear it normally!"

Makes it awkward when I get asked to read stuff out for the first time in class and I just freeze!
Reply 42
I know exactly how you feel. Mine comes when I'm stressed too, so my friend at Uni get all confused around now (exams) when I start stammering really badly! Also have dyspraxia... basically, I walk into things a lot, can't do up my coat and need to type everything. Everyone keeps telling me I'm so "smart" when I get relatively high marks - it's just because I can spend a long time on lab reports and such. When it comes to exams, I do terribly due to extremely poor memory and crappy writing/typing.
Reply 43
AshMashMash
Erm... if I made a fuss, I might do. But, its not *that* bad. I dont think I disturb other people loads really... I hate having to be "different".

My friend had cystic fibrosis and at school she was always in a separate room for exams. She was also allowed extra time as she'd sometimes spend a long time coughing. You should definitely ask about it. They should give it to you.
Reply 44
I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis which is mostly, in its inital stages atleast, an invisible disease. Most people think i over-exaggerate my condition and symptoms beacuse on the face of it i look 'normal' to them.
Reply 45
Most of my conditions are invisable.
The only visable thing is that i'm in a wheelchair all the time, and when I have a tc seizure due to my epilepsy.
most people don't at first...
my main problem is my aspergers so I just appear a bit introverted.inside I'm usually really under stress trying to appear normal to the other person on first meeting them..I usually loosen up a bit after a while with people..
Luser
I know exactly how you feel. Mine comes when I'm stressed too, so my friend at Uni get all confused around now (exams) when I start stammering really badly! Also have dyspraxia... basically, I walk into things a lot, can't do up my coat and need to type everything. Everyone keeps telling me I'm so "smart" when I get relatively high marks - it's just because I can spend a long time on lab reports and such. When it comes to exams, I do terribly due to extremely poor memory and crappy writing/typing.

same here..my dyspraxia might have lost me marks in my standard grade exams as my english written exam was writen in my terrible handwritting...
also my dysraxia means in art I look like a toddler finger painting half the time xD
Reply 48
asobi seksu
same here..my dyspraxia might have lost me marks in my standard grade exams as my english written exam was writen in my terrible handwritting...
also my dysraxia means in art I look like a toddler finger painting half the time xD

I'm worried I may be an Aspie but I don't really want to go and get tested...

If you can get medical evidence of it, you should have gotten a scribe/computer - I've found I need either of those in addition to extra time to be helpful - the extra time doesn't do anything it's own as my hand gets tired out within about 10min. I used to be good at surrealist art, before I stopped practising. You know that elephant that can paint? Bet it can do it better than you and I :P.
Reply 49
Luser
If you can get medical evidence of it, you should have gotten a scribe/computer - I've found I need either of those in addition to extra time to be helpful - the extra time doesn't do anything it's own as my hand gets tired out within about 10min.

You might be able to get rest breaks too if you need them.
Luser
I'm worried I may be an Aspie but I don't really want to go and get tested...

If you can get medical evidence of it, you should have gotten a scribe/computer - I've found I need either of those in addition to extra time to be helpful - the extra time doesn't do anything it's own as my hand gets tired out within about 10min. I used to be good at surrealist art, before I stopped practising. You know that elephant that can paint? Bet it can do it better than you and I :P.

They did promise it but I'd never used a scribe before and found it difficult in practise...I was more used to just doing it myself were as my brother has had experiance of scribing for a lot longer..I got extra time though....my college langside has asd support so hopefully things will be better there!
Reply 51
asobi seksu
They did promise it but I'd never used a scribe before and found it difficult in practise...I was more used to just doing it myself were as my brother has had experiance of scribing for a lot longer..I got extra time though....my college langside has asd support so hopefully things will be better there!

If you are faster/better at typing than writing, I recommend asking to use a computer/typewriter. It's saved my life so many times in exams, I can just hammer out everything I'm thinking.
Reply 52
Crohns disease here. Suuuucks...
Reply 53
Luser
If you are faster/better at typing than writing, I recommend asking to use a computer/typewriter. It's saved my life so many times in exams, I can just hammer out everything I'm thinking.

My University have already agreed the use of a computer in exams -- it's such a relief not to have the added pressure of having to try and write in exams in the future. Was a happy day when I did my last A2 exam and knew that I wouldn't have to handwrite any academic exams again.
I have cerebral palsy down the left side of my body which is fairly well hidden until I undo my leg splint. It does affect my general balance, my leg naturally turns in and I can't individually move the fingers in my left hand, but generally I get by without it being noticed too much. I was recently diagnosed with asperger's, and that's something which has affected me more. My flamboyant social skills need no shooting down.
Reply 55
Mine's noticeable if I'm forced to stay with more than a few people for any amount of time. I get anxious, I fidget (a lot) I start behaviours where I know I'm getting stressed. Another is where I get hyper sensitive, and will shout at people if they're too loud or go near me or touch me. I walk out of rooms for seemingly no reason, I'll refuse to go in rooms when lots of people are in there already, and if forced to sit with people and do nothing, I'll listen to music/read/watch a film on my MP3 as I HATE HATE HATE being around people. (Paranoia, anxiety, psychosis)
I have very little faith in Doctors diagnostic skills and refuse to be officially labeled with any disability, but there is a very high chance I have dyspraxia, However I can't see anything the University could do to make University easier for me, I'm good with the Uni stuff, I think i'm going to leave it as if I do really start stuggling make a appt with the University disability people but until then leave it as possible dyspraxia, I don't wish to have another label on me!

I do however have a 'dairy allergy' , I was naughty tonight and ate a little pizza hence still being up at 6am in the morning because my stomach won't calm down and can't go to sleep incase I poo the bed, have to keep running to the bathroom, Trying to work out at the moment what other foods other than 'milk and cheese' make me ill, so I can try to avoid being ill at uni as much as possible, Fizzy Drinks also make my stomach poorley, So a bit worried about the shared bathrooms (would have had en-suite if possible) En-suite accomodation isn't availiable in the student accomodation, I'm on a small campus of the uni so housing was very limited.
Reply 57
elfen
Mine's noticeable if I'm forced to stay with more than a few people for any amount of time. I get anxious, I fidget (a lot) I start behaviours where I know I'm getting stressed. Another is where I get hyper sensitive, and will shout at people if they're too loud or go near me or touch me. I walk out of rooms for seemingly no reason, I'll refuse to go in rooms when lots of people are in there already, and if forced to sit with people and do nothing, I'll listen to music/read/watch a film on my MP3 as I HATE HATE HATE being around people. (Paranoia, anxiety, psychosis)

I could have written this, :frown: and is the main reason im worried about starting Uni in September, ho and add the agoraphobia ontop and its panic stations all the way :mad:

Although I will probably talk to the disability advisor at uni, im not sure if there is any help they can offer me.
Reply 58
I have dyslexia, and its not really noticable, however, like someone has said before, in writing you might pick up a hint that I have dyslexia, but in person i could be considered to lack understanding of some things.
Mine are invisible per se, but it depends.

I have bi-polar disorder, which tends to show itself, if people know they're looking for it (otherwise I just seem drunk/high).

I have petit mal epilepsy, which some people can see if they are specifically looking for it.

Of course, now I'm on meds for both :smile:

Latest