The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
very tough choice
Edinburgh. No choice involved.
Reply 3
WhiteTeeth
I'm unsure about where i schould apply to for university. I know i'm definitely going to study in Scotland due to financial reasons (i'm Scottish so i pay no fees) but i'm having trouble over deciding whether to go to Edinburgh or St Andrews...

I've got 4 A's and 1 B at 'Higher' (In art, biology,english,french & history)
and I want to study Anthropology.
Help!!!:frown:

Put both down, then see if one rejects you. Then the choice is made and you won't regret any decision either way. To be fair though, I doubt you'd get a rejection from them :p:
flip a coin
Apply to both, then the could be made for you!
Reply 6
Well they're both two totally different places and two totally different uni experiences.
They're both about the same academic standard if that's what you're wondering about. But anyway you have to ask yourself about which place you'd like to live?
Reply 7
Meh, they are both good unis. Personally I would choose Edinburgh because of the city though.
Reply 8
I'm a bit worried about choosing Edinburgh because i want to do soc. anthropology but i wanted to try it with maybe history, english or french in the first year. However the joint MA options for soc. anthropology are not what i'm interested in.
Can you pick whatever you want or do you have to stick to the approved choices (for the first year)????
WhiteTeeth
I'm a bit worried about choosing Edinburgh because i want to do soc. anthropology but i wanted to try it with maybe history, english or french in the first year. However the joint MA options for soc. anthropology are not what i'm interested in.
Can you pick whatever you want or do you have to stick to the approved choices (for the first year)????

The general advice I've heard is not to do a joint degree. And you usually get to take additional modules in the first few years, so you couldtakea few modules of history or english etc.
Reply 10
when do you decide which modules you want to do???
WhiteTeeth
when do you decide which modules you want to do???

At registration usually.
Reply 12
can you pick any modules that you want? or are there restrictions?
WhiteTeeth

Depends on theuni I'm afraid. I think the bes tthing to do would be to look at the prospectus again, and if you still don't know give them a phone?

A friend of mine is doing anthropology at Edinburgh, she loves it.
Reply 14
If you're solely applying to Scottish universities, why not put down both?
Reply 15
WhiteTeeth

Timetable clashes, course availability and grade requirements.
Both?
Personally, I'd go for St Andrews. But, your main reasons in choosing should link to your course.
Why can't you put both down?

Look at course content and see which interests you more. Think of the location too, they're very different.

In your first and second year you'll be able to do anything really as long as the classes don't cause a clash in your timetable. You'd pick your classes at registration, or just before, depending on your university.
Reply 18
St Andrews is better academically, but Edinburgh probably slightly better location.

Although if you are worried about St Andrew's location, it consistently has one of the best student satisfactions, much higher than Edinburgh

For me, St Andrews
Reply 19
poossum
St Andrews is better academically, but Edinburgh probably slightly better location.

Although if you are worried about St Andrew's location, it consistently has one of the best student satisfactions, much higher than Edinburgh

For me, St Andrews

It isn't, they're about the same. I would even go so far as to say Edinburgh is better. St Andrews just fares better in the rankings, for some reason.

Latest

Trending

Trending