The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
charrrlotte.ox
by moving from a grammar to a local but well performing sixth form?

that seems to be the general opinion, but i don't think i can stick 2 more years of it.

what do people think?

not at all. I am at a good sixth form.. it's up to me how well I do here.
Reply 2
I moved from an independant school to a sixth form college and got AAAB at AS
Reply 3
go for it. You will perform well wherever you are. The sylallbus doesn't change you don't change the examiners don't change. I had a couple of friends go to private schools or grammar schools and they don't beat everyone at even the local under performing colleges.
Reply 4
not at all.. its your life at the end of it really

but i do feel i have chucked away a good few mins of my life in this thread..
I'm at a rubbish sixth form but get good grades.
It's not where you are, it's how you perform.
Definitely not!!

You'll perform better in a place where you're happy!

And you have the motivation (hopefully!) to prove everyone else wrong!!

New start, new people, new environment...

Sounds fantastic!
Reply 7
Of course you won't. People perform differently in different environments. If you think you'd prefer being at a college or comp rather than a grammar, go for it; I wish I had!
Reply 8
Its up to you. Although you generally have better teachers and a more competitive background at a grammar which will probably make you perform better, if you really can't stand it then move. You'll achieve better grades if you're happy where you are instead of being miserable about being in a place you don't enjoy. As long as the sixth form is high-achieving, you should be fine. Lots of the dum kids from comprehensives leave after Y11, so you should be with the people who actually want to learn, like at a grammar school
Good luck with whatever you choose, x
there either one of two possibilities, either your going to get what ever grade your going to get based on your personal motivations (independent of which institution). Or you would benefit from a "work hard enviroiment" thats probably provided at a private school
lola1993
Its up to you. Although you generally have better teachers and a more competitive background at a grammar which will probably make you perform better, if you really can't stand it then move. You'll achieve better grades if you're happy where you are instead of being miserable about being in a place you don't enjoy. As long as the sixth form is high-achieving, you should be fine. Lots of the dum kids from comprehensives leave after Y11, so you should be with the people who actually want to learn, like at a grammar school
Good luck with whatever you choose, x

thanks. and that's what i was thinking load go to the huge 6th form in town so in theory, it should just be people who want to be there(:
You'll perform better if you don't dread and hate the place won't you? Moving schools/situations can really help. I got AAAB in my A2s at a high-performing regular 6th form.
Yusuf.T
not at all.. its your life at the end of it really

but i do feel i have chucked away a good few mins of my life in this thread..

Off topic- So, that is an interesting university choice, or a fake set of academic results...
Reply 13
I moved from an excellent comprehensive sixth-form (doesn't sound that impressive but it was the best non-fee paying sixth form in the area by far) to an not so brilliant FE College and still did well (AAA).

Seriously I was told by loads of my school teachers that i was throwing my life away, but it was possibly the best decision I have made to date.

Just go where you want to go; surely you don't need other people to point that out to you.
Reply 14
NO! Of course not! I think you will get the same education, colleges aren't a huge dumping ground. :P
Reply 15
I really don't think it makes a difference.
Reply 16
hahah i love how out of sync grammar school kids are
Reply 17
really it doesnt matter what school you go to, its how much work you are willing to do...IMO anyways. my best mate goes to a £25,000 a year school and she got BBCD for her AS, i go to a £19,000 a year school, and got 4 A's, my other friend goes to a state school and got 4 A's. so no matter where you are, its your effort that pays of grade wise.
No, there probably won’t be much difference. Sixth form is what you make it I think, if you work hard at any sixth form you can do well especially if it's quite a decent one too.
Reply 19
charrrlotte.ox
by moving from a grammar to a local but well performing sixth form?

that seems to be the general opinion, but i don't think i can stick 2 more years of it.

what do people think?

If the local shool's on level or better than the grammar school teaching wise, then not at all. I went to a grammar school and the sixth form as well, and though I got the grades at the end it was through my own sheer determination, motivation and hard work. I truly believe that the only reason grammar school's do well is because they only allow 'clever' people in to begin with.

Latest

Trending

Trending