Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which dumbbell weight is ideal?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I've just bought a pair of 4lb dumbbells and I'm wondering if this weight is any good for basic strength training (I'm a girl by the way). Should I go higher?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For a girl its fine who wants to get toned but if you really wanna test yourself go higher
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    none is ideal as the idea is to improve
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh so should I get a set then? I'm trying to save money and the 4lb ones were pretty cheap but perhaps this would be better?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    look great to me
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You may find yourself getting used to lifting those, very quickly.
    I lift 5kgs at the moment, and will soon need to up it again.

I recommend a set of spinlock dumbbell bars as you choose exactly what weights you want and extra weight cost pennies in comparison to the fixed weight dumbbells.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ilora the female body builder :giggle:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    You may find yourself getting used to lifting those, very quickly.
    I lift 5kgs at the moment, and will soon need to up it again.

I recommend a set of spinlock dumbbell bars as you choose exactly what weights you want and extra weight cost pennies in comparison to the fixed weight dumbbells.
    Wow 5kg, it might take me a while to get there. I'm quite new to this stuff, I don't really understand the concept of spinlock dumbbells. Care to explain?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spinlock barbells are the big metal ones; they're just a bar, with cast iron weights (black or chrome coloured disks, with holes in the middle) which slide onto each side and your hand goes in the middle. The spinlock bit is the 'screw' that keeps the ends on, as it were. They're good because the weights are interchangeable - you can have any weight you like (the bar itself weighs about 1kg roughly).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh that sounds like a better idea. Do you know where you can purchase them and the additional weights?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought mine from Tesco, of all places. Though all the usual places sell them; Sports shops should, Argos etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself adjustable dumbbells, not ones with predefined weights. You will use different weights for different exercises and over time, your strength will increase and you will require more weight.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot guys...I bought the spinlock ones, a nice price too. Came with 8 additional weights: four 1.25kg and four 2.5 kg. It's all a bit new to me. My main aim is to body sculpt a bit, no bulking for me! (I am correct in thinking that it is very hard for women to develop considerable mass with weight training due to our lack of testosterone...?)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etana_qt)
    I am correct in thinking that it is very hard for women to develop considerable mass with weight training due to our lack of testosterone...?
    Yes, partially. it is also very hard for men to develop considerable mass, although not as tough as for the girlies.
    You will do well in the sculpting sense to squat and deadlift, check out the pick LV posted before, her legs and bum are in awesome shape due to training.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not like women cannot become strong, Powerlifter's missus is a perfect example of what dedicated training will acheive. Like most things in life, you will get out what you put in.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for a set of adjustable dumbbells which go up to 10kg each. The set of 3 pairs which go up to 5kg is not much for someone who has explicitly stated that the training is for strength.

Also, surely you'll use different weights for different exercises so even if you don't up your weight there's no dumbbell which will be adequate for everything you do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etana_qt)
    Thanks a lot guys...I bought the spinlock ones, a nice price too. Came with 8 additional weights: four 1.25kg and four 2.5 kg. It's all a bit new to me. My main aim is to body sculpt a bit, no bulking for me! (I am correct in thinking that it is very hard for women to develop considerable mass with weight training due to our lack of testosterone...?)
    Yes, but it's certainly possible.

My mum used to have bigger muscles than her boyfriend :proud:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I'd go for a set of adjustable dumbbells which go up to 10kg each. The set of 3 pairs which go up to 5kg is not much for someone who has explicitly stated that the training is for strength.

Also, surely you'll use different weights for different exercises so even if you don't up your weight there's no dumbbell which will be adequate for everything you do.
    Yep, I plan to buy additional weights when I'm ready. (I have to build myself up to that...) But I think what I've got will suffice for the time being.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 21, 2008
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.