The Student Room Group
I'd definitely mention it when you're there and ask if it's advisable to give it another time. I think you're a great person for giving blood, it's something I could never do, I feel violently ill just at the thought of draining my arm of a pint of it's good stuff.
But yeah, you're losing a fair amount of blood anyway, you need some to get the oxygen round, I'd check when you go.
Anonymous
I'd definitely mention it when you're there and ask if it's advisable to give it another time. I think you're a great person for giving blood, it's something I could never do, I feel violently ill just at the thought of draining my arm of a pint of it's good stuff.
But yeah, you're losing a fair amount of blood anyway, you need some to get the oxygen round, I'd check when you go.

did you really need to post that as anon?
I gave blood and they didn't ask me or mention menstruating at all. So I doubt it's an issue, it was not a question on the form I had to fill out etc.
You shouldn't... Your iron level in your blood will be low anyway and you're quite likely to pass out if you do it while you're on.
I have problems with a low iron level anyway, the doctor there always gives me tablets :biggrin:
Reply 5
Oh FFS. You can, I wouldn't.
I do, but i never have a problem with low iron, mine is always really high.
Reply 7
Bathwiggle
I do, but i never have a problem with low iron, mine is always really high.
The problem's not iron per se but circulating blood volume - your donation and PV losses combined could lower your volume, causing your heart to work harder and making you feel anaemic.
Reply 8
I wouldn't:s-smilie:.
Shouldnt be a problem at all! I know I've given on my period before.
Reply 10
You can't stop giving blood on your period.
Yes, I've done it before.
They give you a quick anemia test anyway, so they won't let you if you're actually anemic due to your period.
Good luck =)
Renal
The problem's not iron per se but circulating blood volume - your donation and PV losses combined could lower your volume, causing your heart to work harder and making you feel anaemic.

Sorry should have said hb count, so long as i drink enough liquid i'm fine on the blood volume. but generally i have been told so long as your fluid levels arn't low, ie you dehydrated, as this can reduce blood volume, then there shouldn't be a problem, unless your anaemic due to the period.
Reply 13
Bathwiggle
i know, but generally i have been told so long as your fluid levels arn't low, ie you dehydrated, as this can reduce blood volume, then there shouldn't be a problem, unless your anaemic due to the period.
Essentially true.

Latest

Trending

Trending