The Student Room Group
Reply 1
yep.cambridge accepts TOEFL
Reply 2
Lux Astraea
Hi guys, I was just wondering if any of you know whether Cambridge accepts the TOEFL as a fulfillment of the English language requirements. The IELTS and the CPE weren't offered until too late where I am, and so I took the TOEFL instead.

Thank you for your help!

what do you mean "weren't offered until too late " ?
Reply 3
SSze
what do you mean "weren't offered until too late " ?

He/she probably means that their educational institute only began offering those courses after he/she had already started the TOEFL.
Reply 4
Craghyrax
He/she probably means that their educational institute only began offering those courses after he/she had already started the TOEFL.

It may also be that the delay in getting a seat to suit the IELTS or CPE was too long. From experience it is much harder to find a place to sit the IELTS (usually at the British Council) than for the TOEFL.

The TOEFL is a pile of cack though. It covers very few language skills and is more a way of seeing if people can sit inside a lecture and register most of what is being said. For a lot of courses, this is sufficient but for many others, it means you have people who can't actually communicate in English and for those courses, that might be quite important.

Plus the IELTS is a far more international exam, as it's used by Australia and New Zealand immigration (the only test you can do if you want to emigrate there and are not an anglophone), by South Africa, Canada, the UK and Ireland.
Reply 5
SamTheMan
It may also be that the delay in getting a seat to suit the IELTS or CPE was too long. From experience it is much harder to find a place to sit the IELTS (usually at the British Council) than for the TOEFL.

That's right.

SamTheMan
The TOEFL is a pile of cack though. It covers very few language skills and is more a way of seeing if people can sit inside a lecture and register most of what is being said. For a lot of courses, this is sufficient but for many others, it means you have people who can't actually communicate in English and for those courses, that might be quite important.

I've applied for Philosophy, so proving that I'm able of communicating effectively in English is most likely extremely important. However, I'm hoping that my high SAT verbal scores (780 in Critical Reading and 790 in Writing) and my 6 in IB A1 HL English will cover for whatever is not appropriately tested in the TOEFL.

I just hope that Cambridge sees it my way!
Reply 6
Lux Astraea
That's right.

I've applied for Philosophy, so proving that I'm able of communicating effectively in English is most likely extremely important. However, I'm hoping that my high SAT verbal scores (780 in Critical Reading and 790 in Writing) and my 6 in IB A1 HL English will cover for whatever is not appropriately tested in the TOEFL.

I just hope that Cambridge sees it my way!

I don't know what Cambridge accept to be honest... I hope it works out for you. In my opinion they probably encourage students to do the IELTS or CPE as they're good tests of all-round proficiency in English whereas the TOEFL really is only designed to see if you can follow a university lecture and that's it but in certain cases, maybe they resign themselves to accepting the TOEFL.
In my case I sat the IELTS but I think that it was easier for me as I could get to the British Council quite easily.
Reply 7
Basically, it's the college who decides whether or not your English qualification is suitable. I've contacted Downing Admissions secretary and she replied that the college may exempt me from any other formal qualification as English is a part of my leaving exam, Matura. But I guess if I do get an offer, they might ask for the highest grade.

Latest

Trending

Trending