The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LondonBoy
I was just wondering what the atmosphere at LSE was like? I've heard its not the best place to go into as an undergraduate as its filled with international and mature students?
Is the 'scence' different to other universities?

Also reputation wise would you rate it as one of the best unis in london for law, or economics/politics based subjects

Boring, dull, dark ... do not come.

On the other hand it is damned good, so if you are more interested in the academic side than in finding a new love this is your place, but you have to pay the price. Unlike Oxbridge, no ponds, no green, no ducks just stone and rock.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Students at the LSE are reputed to have a far more impressive work ethic than is found in most student bodies and like many non-campus unis the social side can suffer i believe.
Reply 3
an Siarach
Students at the LSE are reputed to have a far more impressive work ethic than is found in most student bodies and like many non-campus unis the social side can suffer i believe.

Social life can be very good at LSE if you want it to be, (it's just what you make of it, as with all things). There are plenty of clubs here - and an Alt. Music Society..), and there's a good mix of hard-workers and party-goers. I concede that it's weighted somewhat towards hard-workers. But really...if you want to party...there are a lot of people here who want to as well, (just need to make sure you're ready to work your arse off for the exams). As for long, deep discussions over the finer points of Hegel's Philosophy of Right...well you can find that as well :wink: :rolleyes: !
Reply 4
what's the work pressure at LSE like? i'm going there in October 2005 to do an MSc City Design. can anyone doing that program or with friends there tell me if it's possible, workload-wise to take on a part time job? also, do international grad students have it easy getting jobs out there?
Reply 5
also, with a part-time job plus full-time study, is it gonna be impossible to par-tay? :-(
Reply 6
I'd guess there will be quite a bit of work.. I'll try to find someone doing the course and ask them - then I'll update here in a few days.

I do think you can get a part-time job and there should be time left to party / go out etc. The work might be pretty intense though. Your selection of modules will, to a great extent, dictate how much continuous work you're going to have. If you have ones that are based on a final examination it can be easier to cram in at the end. Continual assessment might make going out etc. a bit more difficult, especially if you want to find a job. Obviously you'll be able to party quite a lot if you want to. Maybe just not every night... Never know, maybe you can do essays with a hangover! (I really suck at doing that).

There are usually jobs available but you might want to find somewhere before you start, just in case.
Reply 7
Hughski
I'd guess there will be quite a bit of work.. I'll try to find someone doing the course and ask them - then I'll update here in a few days.

I do think you can get a part-time job and there should be time left to party / go out etc. The work might be pretty intense though. Your selection of modules will, to a great extent, dictate how much continuous work you're going to have. If you have ones that are based on a final examination it can be easier to cram in at the end. Continual assessment might make going out etc. a bit more difficult, especially if you want to find a job. Obviously you'll be able to party quite a lot if you want to. Maybe just not every night... Never know, maybe you can do essays with a hangover! (I really suck at doing that).

There are usually jobs available but you might want to find somewhere before you start, just in case.

Really? I was given the impression that there would be basically no chance of working part time, due to the incrediably heavy workload.
Reply 8
Lottelo
Really? I was given the impression that there would be basically no chance of working part time, due to the incrediably heavy workload.

I'll check it out. The workload can be intense. That said, I was working on the basis that you could find a job weekends maybe...or at a Pub during an afternoon off etc. It would be hard to fit in around the work, but I think as long as you can work when you have the time you'll be fine. My problem is that I have time but don't work until the last minute..

I'll find someone on the course anyway and get some details.
Reply 9
Hughski
I'll check it out. The workload can be intense. That said, I was working on the basis that you could find a job weekends maybe...or at a Pub during an afternoon off etc. It would be hard to fit in around the work, but I think as long as you can work when you have the time you'll be fine. My problem is that I have time but don't work until the last minute..

Hugh, have you seen my PM? Its just you are a new member, and you may not realise its there (I left one for a week in my inbox, before I realised)
Reply 10
Lottelo
Hugh, have you seen my PM? Its just you are a new member, and you may not realise its there (I left one for a week in my inbox, before I realised)

Oops yes, I will send back a reply in a few mins. Got an essay for tomorrow...argh! :smile:
Hughski
Oops yes, I will send back a reply in a few mins. Got an essay for tomorrow...argh! :smile:

Snap! Kicking myself for leaving it to the last minute. :frown:
Reply 12
Lottelo
Snap! Kicking myself for leaving it to the last minute. :frown:

Same...big mistake...looks like I'll be drinking lots of coffee tonight. All part of the university experience :biggrin:
Hughski
Same...big mistake...looks like I'll be drinking lots of coffee tonight. All part of the university experience :biggrin:

but its an experience i'm all too familiar with! :tongue:
Reply 14
coffee doesn't work too well, coz it slows your brain down, and ur thinking process are messed up...i advice u to take a cold bath :biggrin:
Reply 15
Hehe Lottelo, and I was as well! Although it gets worse at university when the "My dog ate it..." excuses don't seem to work. Having said that, one of my friends has handed in all of his assignments late... University Professors are not as forgiving!!!

Hmmm...cold bath...maybe...
Reply 16
Hughski

thanks for offering to find out. eagerly awaiting reply etc.
incidentally, i never work unless its at the last moment. sounds like life's gonna have to get damn disciplined all of a sudden...although working at a pub on afternoons off sounds like fun... coyote ugly-ish even :biggrin:
Reply 17
I started at Lse studying econ in september. To be honest LSE isn't really a university to be honest, it's more like a business school, everyone striving for the same goal (investment banking usually). But in saying that, there are plenty of oppurtunitties to party. Iwork 6 hours a week, go out 2-3 times a week, play for uni of london golf and lse footy, and still have time to do all my problem sets you get given each week.
The first term is hard, getting accustomed to the work, it's very different from a level. By the second term though it's more managable. I couldn't advise you strongly enough how much i've loved lse.
JRDH
I started at Lse studying econ in september. To be honest LSE isn't really a university to be honest, it's more like a business school, everyone striving for the same goal (investment banking usually).

Is that the same in all subjects or just for econ?
Reply 19
I study econ, and thed kids that study all the maths based subjects and anything with economics in the title do the same as I do.

Latest

Trending

Trending