The Student Room Group

The differences between GCSE and A level maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Crash_Brinicombe
over 90% in each topic (roughly)

Original post by Gemini92
To get an A* in A-Level maths, you need at least 480/600 UMS in total including at least 180/200 UMS from C3 and C4. That means you have to average at least 80% overall and at least 90% across C3/4.

Original post by dean01234
80% average across 6 modules, with 90% average across c3 & c4 for Maths

Cheers, I'm guessing a B is 70%?
Reply 21
Original post by DomJay24
Cheers, I'm guessing a B is 70%?

Yes, 70% is a B.
Reply 22
AS level is half of GCSE's A* stuff and then some new topics as well. A2 is more challenging though, If you did additional maths, this is basically most of the AS theoretical maths you do, and then you do an applied module as well.
OK so I just realised I replied to a 3 year old thread :biggrin:

But what's an A* then?

Haha, don't worry I alwaysss do that :rolleyes:
An A* in maths is 80% average, with 90% average in C3 and C4, the pure maths A2 modules.
But for all A levels, you need 80% average in AS, with a 90% average in all your A2 modules. :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Sophie Maywood
Hi guys,

I was wondering what is the difference between GCSE maths and A level maths. For instance, in at A level do you learn about all the stuff in GCSE maths but in greater depth, like volume and (etc). Alternatively, do you learn about a few topis but in real depth, for example, intergration (etc). Also, what is further maths or pure maths and what topics do you learn about in. Is further maths a lot harder than normal A level maths and what do you need to do to (grades) to do further maths?

Please give me some advice guys

The letter S.
Reply 25
OK so I just realised I replied to a 3 year old thread :biggrin:

But what's an A* then?

Wow three whole years....

Someone thumbed downed me and I bet it's for saying it isn't that hard. And really, it wasnt that hard at all. It's easy. Easy, easy, easy.
Reply 26
Original post by 808

Someone thumbed downed me and I bet it's for saying it isn't that hard. And really, it wasnt that hard at all. It's easy. Easy, easy, easy.

haha three years have pssed since you made that reply, what did you get? bring back memories? :biggrin: haha
Reply 27
I got a B in maths, so i'm resitting to get an A (GCSE). Do you reckon I will cope with A-level? :/
Reply 28
Original post by sheepshap
I got a B in maths, so i'm resitting to get an A (GCSE). Do you reckon I will cope with A-level? :/

In short: yes.

Work hard, pull out all the stops and start to really engage yourself in mathematics, that way you can enjoy it along the way. Btw, FM is where it's at.
Reply 29

You might, some people do but most people with B's don't do outstandingly well with A level maths. If you are really serious I'd think you should be resitting to achieve an A* :smile: If you find algebra and trigonometry OK and are willing to work hard then it is possible but FYI the 4 people who started it with B's this year at my school have already dropped it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
what are the main topics that come up in AS AND A2 maths?
And what topics do people find most challeging?

what are the main topics that come up in AS AND A2 maths?
And what topics do people find most challeging?

The second post suggest the answer to the first one is "You could find it tough"

In the main, B grade students (if a B is a reflection of their current ability and they worked for it) will struggle. I teach A level maths and rarely do I see a B grade GCSE student get beyond a D at A level with many either leaving, failing or obtaining low grades.

It can be done but I would suggest if you are going to do well it will take a lot of your own work outside of lessons. TBH if you have not even found out what is in the course despite having the net yet claiming you want to do the subject then this could (and I stress could) be something that may hinder you.
Original post by 808

Just to say 7 years now:colone:
Original post by __ashleigh__
that really tells you all you need to know. if you're going to take maths at A level be prepared to work very hard and say goodbye to your free time!

MMMMHHHHH I wouldnt agree with you there, although A level is quite difficult I got an A by just doing some stuff at home, it was not much tbh but then there were my friends who spent loads of time doing revision and whatever. The ultimate question you need to ask yourself is "do you LIKE maths?", because ultimately if you like maths you will work hard at it no matter the difficulties you may face, although I only spent a few hours a week on Maths I liked it, so I concentrated and finished the stuff in a matter of hours(3 hours a week-Monday-Friday)

Only if you love Maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending