The Student Room Group

Alternatives to Carbs for Dinner

I'm trying to cut down on the amount of carbs I eat for dinner i.e. instead of having vegatable curry with rice, I have it with chick peas instead.

However I've got to the point where I substitue chickpeas/kidney beans for all my carbs.....whilst I love chick peas it's going to get boring eventually and I'm stuck on what I can eat instead.

Any suggestions??
Maybe try not to have a substitute for it, instead have chicken and veg, different soups, different grains etc?

EDIT: Don't think I explained that well. What I meant, try to have meals that don't centre around carbs and so involve you having to have substitutes for it... am I making any sense?
Reply 2
whats wrong with carbs? why are you trying to avoid them?
Reply 3
cos they makes you fat n that.

i have to go carbless (or complex carbless) for a feww weeks before a fight to make wieght (im a boxer). basically most of my meals consist of protein + veg/fruit. so tuna salad, chicken brocolli and peas, spinach and tomato omlette etc etc. i dont find the need to 'replace' complex carbs as such, its just a case of not eating them. Quinoas good though, its a cereal so it has some carbs in it but its mostly fibre and protein. cooked with a bit of vegetable stock it actually tastes ok as well :smile:
Reply 4
ophqui
cos they makes you fat n that.

i have to go carbless (or complex carbless) for a feww weeks before a fight to make wieght (im a boxer). basically most of my meals consist of protein + veg/fruit. so tuna salad, chicken brocolli and peas, spinach and tomato omlette etc etc. i dont find the need to 'replace' complex carbs as such, its just a case of not eating them. Quinoas good though, its a cereal so it has some carbs in it but its mostly fibre and protein. cooked with a bit of vegetable stock it actually tastes ok as well :smile:

cos they make you fat? - your an idiot. learn about nurition and fueling your body properly and then you start to make progress.
Reply 5
Just get yourself out of the mindset that you 'need' carbs with a meal. There's nothing wrong with fish and veggies (for example), you don't need a big helping of potatoes, rice or bread with it. Most people eat too many refined carbohydrates anyway, although it's sensible to replace them with more complex carbohydrates (like wholegrains) rather than eliminate them entirely.

But, techinically chick peas are a source of carbohydrates, they are the 'slow-release' kind but they're still fairly carb heavy. Ditto kidney beans, although compared to other beans they're fairly low carb. It's not healthy to eat too many carbs, but for the most part you do need some carbohydrates each day as part of a balanced diet. Unless you're 'low-carbing' for some reason (which isn't really safe for very extended periods) then you just need to eat sensibly, rather than cutting whole food groups out of your diet. For the most part, carbohydrates will provide the majority of the fibre in your diet, and it's not really a good idea to not eat fibre - that's why most low carb diets give you the side effect of constipation ...
Reply 6
Paeony
Just get yourself out of the mindset that you 'need' carbs with a meal. There's nothing wrong with fish and veggies (for example), you don't need potatoes, rice or bread with it. Most people eat too many refined carbohydrates anyway, although it's sensible to replace them with more complex carbohydrates (like wholegrains) rather than eliminate them entirely.

But, techinically chick peas are a source of carbohydrates, they are the 'slow-release' kind but they're still fairly carb heavy. Ditto kidney beans, although compared to other beans they're fairly low carb. It's not healthy to eat too many carbs, but for the most part you do need some carbohydrates each day as part of a balanced diet. Unless you're 'low-carbing' for some reason (which isn't really safe for very extended periods) then you just need to eat sensibly, rather than cutting whole food groups out of your diet. For the most part, carbohydrates will provide the majority of the fibre in your diet, and it's not really a good idea to not eat fibre - hence why most low carb diets give you the side effect of constipation ...

please god do not give anymore nutrional advice on this forum.

firstly, you NEED carbs. cutting them out of your diet or even thinking about it is so mind numbingly stupid. your body will not function properly, you will become lethargic, there will be a good chance of catabolism, and you will just generally feel like ****.

good carbs should form the basis of every meal. wholemeal pasta/bread/rice etc. just cut out the crap from your diet, nothing full of saturated fat, high in sugar, high in salt. eat plenty of fruit and veg and get a decent workout plan. these are the keys, not starving your body from the nutrition it desperatly needs to function grow and maintain itself properly.
Reply 7
As you can see if you READ my post, I did say that you should replace refined carbs with unrefined carbs rather than cut them out of your diet entirely. I also say that it's not safe to go on low carb diets for extended periods and I also say that it's not safe to cut entire food groups out of your diet. There's really no need to be so rude, arrogant or selective in interpretation. Most of what you so politely point out is exactly what I wrote in my post. You do NOT need massive portions of unrefined carbs with every meal (like potatoes, white rice, white pasta or white bread). A small portion of unrefined carbs (like wholemeal pasta, brown rice or something similar) is much better in many, many ways. It's also a fairly bad idea (from a nutritional point of view) to eat excessive amounts of ANY foods (like chickpeas, for example). A healthy diet is about balance and variety, not restriction or exclusion.

And fyi, I have worked as a chef and a baker for many years, so I think I know a little about carbs and nutrition.
Reply 8
Paeony
As you can see if you READ my post, I did say that you should replace refined carbs with unrefined carbs rather than cut them out of your diet entirely. I also say that it's not safe to go on low carb diets for extended periods and I also say that it's not safe to cut entire food groups out of your diet. There's really no need to be so rude, arrogant or inaccurate. Most of what you so politely point out is exactly what I wrote in my post. You do NOT need massive portions of unrefined carbs with every meal (like potatoes, white rice, white pasta or white bread). A small portion of unrefined carbs (like wholemeal pasta, brown rice or something similar) is much better in many, many ways.

And fyi, I have worked as a chef and a baker for many years, so I think I know a little about carbs and nutrition.

i read your post quite clearly.

"Just get yourself out of the mindset that you 'need' carbs with a meal."

"you don't need a big helping of potatoes, rice or bread with it". - you need as many as you need. in the context of the OP she should be eating alot more than what she entails to be.

"But, techinically chick peas are a source of carbohydrates, they are the 'slow-release' kind but they're still fairly carb heavy." - no theyre not.

"but for the most part you do need some carbohydrates each day as part of a balanced diet." - you need carbs. period.

"Unless you're 'low-carbing' for some reason (which isn't really safe for very extended periods)" - theres no good reason for 'low-carbing'.

and btw, being a chef or a baker does not mean you understand nurtion. all it means is that you cook the food.
Reply 9
a BALANCED diet is far better - you need carbs, as well as proteins, lipids, vitamins and minerals, fibre etc. Cut down portion size (even up to a 50% cut can produce the same feeling of satiety) and also, as mentioned above, go for complex, unrefined carbs, and make sure to moderate the sugar intake.
Reply 10
Lara C.
i read your post quite clearly.

"Just get yourself out of the mindset that you 'need' carbs with a meal." - what I meant by that is that most people will take a large portion of refined carbohydrates because that what they feel they need to 'make' a meal. You don't, a small portion if unrefined carbohydrates is healthier and better. Most people do not eat sensibly sized portions at meals anyway, and for the most part this 'excess' is generally made up of refined carbohydrates. We don't 'need' refined carbs, we need high fibre, unrefined carbs for energy and for their fibre content. Refined foods, in general, are less healthy than their unrefined counterparts. Yes, they often have added vitamins and minerals but for the most part, we could get most of what we need from a sensible balanced diet (of course there are exceptions and some additives are beneficial - iodine, for example, depending on where you live, the addition of folic acid to bread and breakfast cereals has been proven to reduce the incidence of spina bifida).

"you don't need a big helping of potatoes, rice or bread with it". - you need as many as you need. in the context of the OP she should be eating alot more than what she entails to be. - this makes no sense, 'entails to be' what? Than she states she is eating? Than she feels she needs? Sorry, but I don't understand you here.

"But, techinically chick peas are a source of carbohydrates, they are the 'slow-release' kind but they're still fairly carb heavy." - no theyre not. Chickpeas have a fairly high carbohydrate content, when viewed in the context of other pulses and beans. They are about 60% carbohydrate, which is, as I said, fairly high, but as I said they are a healthier form of carbohydrate than (say) refined white flour.

"but for the most part you do need some carbohydrates each day as part of a balanced diet." - you need carbs. period. As I said, you do need some carbs, but you should be careful about the type and quantity that you consume. Most people eat far more carbohydrates than their bodies actually 'need'. It's about being aware of the type and quality of food that you eat.

"Unless you're 'low-carbing' for some reason (which isn't really safe for very extended periods)" - theres no good reason for 'low-carbing'. I am not advocating low carbohydrate diets. Some people follow them for weight loss/muscle gain reasons. As I said, I'm not an advocate and I did say it's not safe.

and btw, being a chef or a baker does not mean you understand nurtion. all it means is that you cook the food. Fair point (if untrue, since you don't know what my specific qualifications are), but I still think you're being a little aggressive

My responses in blue.
Reply 11
ophqui
i have to go carbless (or complex carbless) for a feww weeks before a fight to make wieght (im a boxer).

Cutting carbs to make weight is surely the wrong way to go.
If you cut carbs, your body will start burning muscle.
My friend was told that if you can't make weight through a couple of sessions in the sauna, you're in the wrong weight category.
Reply 12
Can people please read my post properly! I'm NOT CUTTING CARBS OUT OF MY DIET. As the title of the thread says and as I said in my original post, I am trying to REDUCE the amount of carbs I have with dinner.

I do most exercise during the day e.g. walking, gym etc which is where i eat most of my carbs. However from 5 pm onwards.....which is when I eat dinner I'm quite sedentary which is why I'm trying to eat FEWER carbs at dinner time.

At present my dinners consist predominately of carbs and so I started reducing the portion and having more veg.....which isn't as filling or having some chickpeas which is going to get boring now i'm finding it hard to find alternatives.

Whilst chick peas do have carbs....as someone pointed out, I eat them because they're a good source of protein, which I'm trying to increase in my diet. I'm focusing on reducing mainly starchy foods like pasta, bread and rice (refined carbs) for dinner.
Reply 13
simeon
Cutting carbs to make weight is surely the wrong way to go.
If you cut carbs, your body will start burning muscle.
My friend was told that if you can't make weight through a couple of sessions in the sauna, you're in the wrong weight category.

nah, a high protein/nutrient rich diet (lots of veggies etc) cant possibly end in you losing muscle, its not logical. your body burns off excess fat and the carbohydrates found in fruit and veg. i still eat some complex carbs, its about cutting down on pasta, potatoes etc not eliminating any source of carbohydrates.

And to the girl that called me an idiot. . .theres no need for that. its pretty well established that eliminating complex carbs from your diet results in weight loss, its what the atkins diet is based on (although that obviously takes it to an extreme thats unhealthy, as it also takes out vegetables etc). and OP try quinoa, its nice :smile:
Reply 14
I have studied sport and nutrition for a while now and I think that cutting carbs out is generally a bad idea.

What simeon said about burning muscle is true. The first place your body goes is to the muscles. However in the long run if you cut carbs your body will go to burning fat in order to gain sugar, because fat is essentially a storing method for sugar.

I also agree with him about the sauna however if you get weighed at the fight then I wouldn't recommend doing that because you'll be dehydrated which will effect your performance.

The best way to lose weight is through exercise, if you are a boxer then from experience you are doing more than enough exercise, as long as you have a balanced diet you should loose weight. If you have low fat and low carbs which is what it sounds like your doing, you will make your self ill and weaker before your fight.

Good alternatives are things like bean sprouts, nuts, low carb bread alternatives, smaller portions of carbs or mushrooms.

Good Luck with the boxing!
Reply 15
Firstly, the old, Western food-pyramid example that many of us have grown up on is, on a daily basis, being proven to be baseless and utterly dangerous- formed on a completely unproven hypothesis that favored the US national agricultural movement of its time. Firstly, all foods that we eat, from raw veggies to meats, have a certain amount of carbs already in them. Secondly, in-tune, modern doctors are discovering, after studying thousands of heart disease cases, that saturated fats and cholesterol are "unbelievably" not the cause of heart disease, instead, it is the tons of over-the-top carbs and starches that we eat, from chips, to donuts, to the "healthy" whole wheat breads, the gallons of corn syrup spiked sodas and unnatural trans-fats that we have all been duped into thinking were better for us than good old, vegies, berries, nuts, and animal fats, the same great stuff our ancestors have been eating for MILLIONS of years. You can't get oil from corn or canola unless you process it; why do you think new cases of diabetes are growing out of control? Do the math, mother nature has already figured it out for us. PS, calling people names is just downright wrong, this is a discussion, not your bedroom. Peace.
Sweet Potatoes- can't remember for the life of me why but they are a very good alternative to white potatoes.

Mmmm sweet potato & parsnip mash. :coma:

If you do eat carbs go for wholemeal pasta & rice (even though I do love my basmati :mmm:) You don't need to cut out entirely but I usually use lentils, chickpeas and beans as a protein substitute and bulker for meals rather than a carb alternative. :wink:
Reply 17
I think there is some confusion here caused by the dual meaning of the word "carbs", which sometimes specifically means the substance carbohydrate, and sometimes is used as a shorthand for particularly carbohydrate heavy foodtypes, such as potatoes, rice and pasta. Cutting out the latter does not mean cutting out the former, because that would obviously be moronic.

Most people do eat far more of the carbohydrate heavy foodtypes than they actually need, so eating a few evening meals of just meat + veg, rather than meat + veg + <huge pile of carbs> isn't really going to do any harm.
Meat.

Quick Reply

Latest