The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
PARSIFAL
Hello, I'm an American who is thinking about taking Advanced Highers, but am interested in how the rigour compares with A levels, especially in maths. All info is greatly appreciated.

I think Advanced Highers are about the same level as A levels, Maybe slightly harder. I took AH maths but failed due to crap teacher and lack of interest. If I'd tried harder Icould probably have passed.
Reply 2
the material in AH is mostly the same as Module 2 of A-level

The scottish system is best dont argue just accept
Reply 3
Wee Dave, I don't suppose the JHA in your profile stands for James Hamilton Academy by any chance does it?
Reply 4
it does actually why??
Reply 5
Is it in Kilmarnock?
Reply 6
yes and again why do you ask i dont think you are an ex pupil
Reply 7
Nah but I am from Kilmarnock. Went to the Grange. Just curious if it was the James Hamilton Academy in Killie.
Reply 8
ah i know a few people from the grange myself they are in my physics class we got to a the Killie
Reply 9
Ah right. Any names? I might know them.
Reply 10
they would have been in your year

Gordan Holton
Donal (wrong spelling) Gorman
Mark Wyper

i also remember the Wyper sisters from the year before and others but i cannot remember names
Reply 11
Mark Wyper eh? Tell him you were speaking to DD and say what he says. He actually loves me. It's more than slightly scary.
Reply 12
eh yes

ok
PARSIFAL
Hello, I'm an American who is thinking about taking Advanced Highers, but am interested in how the rigour compares with A levels, especially in maths. All info is greatly appreciated.

AH maths has the lowest pass rate of any AH and although I got 99% in Higher prelim, my math teacher told me that there wasn't a very high chance of me getting an A (I took physics instead :biggrin:) so it MUST be hard :biggrin:
Reply 14
i take it you took Higher Physics because AH stinks its awful

I actually find AH maths not that bad there is a ton to remember and some of the exam question are out to get you but at least i can do it which is more than can be said for physics

My teacher last year out of a class of 5 got 4 A's and 1 B
this year I'm taking AH English, Chemistry, Biology and Physics - apparently the AH maths papers aren't consistent - sometimes they ae fine, sometimes they are impossible. But yeah, I'd have been better taking it than physics!
Reply 16
I actually haven't noticed inconstaint levels in the papers other than in the first few years but that was the same at higher

Have you noticed that there is a tread in AH exams that the level of difficulty of going down, this is most noticible i think in Physics (still not that hot in it though)
Reply 17
Yeah, usually it takes a couple of years for the exams to settle.

Take Higher Info Sys for example.
They still get it wrong sometimes though - take last years Higher Biology paper, so easy it was a joke.
Reply 19
platinumki
They still get it wrong sometimes though - take last years Higher Biology paper, so easy it was a joke.

Yeah, same as H Maths, the exam was so easy aswell. The paper was supposed to be only about 60% C level questions, which still is a lot, I think it ended up being about 90% C Level questions. :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending