The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
well, than I would have to do some kind of working contract with her I guess?
how long do you think will it take untill you have news on that issue? (sorry for bothering you, but I'm pretty worried right now)
Reply 21
Hey!

I'm in similar position, being rejected from support in my final year. Over the summer I had to quit my jobs due to 3 international exchanges programmes which I was awarded and working only between them. Right now can not find any part-time job but I'm registered with several work agencies and constantly bothering them for a job. I got in to a debt with my landlord and friends!

These money are to support students to get better marks and overall get valuable degree. I did make use of this support and got first class results so far but all that effort will be useless because I'll need to find full time job to be able to pay all the bills.

Hope to hear some good news how to appeal :smile:!!
Thx
Reply 22
hi,

I've just started today to deal with this 'new migrant worker team' and given your posts I'm not very optimistic.

Same situation,I got a maintenance grant and loan last year no problems at all, but this year after 6 months for them to find out which service was responsible for my application, I have learned today that I will have to deal with this unit and send contract of employment and most recent payslip.

I have been working here since Nov 2006 and I've just had 2 months last summer of no 'genuine and effective economic activity'.I found a new job in september and I'm working part-time.

I originally sent 3 p60s(2007,2008,2009) with my application

According to the guidances should be fine as long as I carry on working while studying but I really expect any reason from them to refuse my grant!

good luck to everyone
Reply 23
There was some information I heard today in relation to this, that SFE are currently seeking further clarification from BIS, due to severe pressure from HEIs, Students and other players in Higher Education. I still have no further news I'm afraid though.
Reply 24
hi there,

any news about regulations for migrant workers?
I am so gutted! They have now asked me to send a new pn1 as they can't get hold of the one I sent 4 months ago.
So as I understand they tranfered my application to the migrant worker team but got rid of the pn1 I originally sent :eek3: administrative ******** yeah!
I have started uni en september knowing that I was eligible for a loan and grant, having been last year and I wasn't aware of those new regulations( they never make things clear anyway about the fact that I have to carry on working while stydying).
Do you know if they verify status employment when processing apllications? A friend of mine just stoped working as he coudn't handle that much work with studies and his apllication is still being assessed....
He's been working in uk for 2 years,paying taxes, working hard to get where he is now and while student finance bosses got 2 millions bonuses last year (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/nov/16/student-loans-company-bonuses) the goverment is trying to save money and refuse acess to education to a larger portion of the population shocking!
hope to hear some news :smile:
If they aren't Brits so what?
Reply 26
hypocriaticaljab what a thougthful and clever remark really!lol
I didn't want to launch a debate on immigration but anyway here we are recession so who are the first targeted?
I am french and I have been paying taxes and participating in the economy for almost 3 years doing jobs most british people wouldn't do!
I got a grant and loan last year and obtained good marks and now what? this year just because of cut spendings I can't continue my degree and money from last year is just wasted?
If you wanted to study in my country and ask help from the french governement I wouldn't react as you do 'if they're not french so what?' don't you think that's a bit narrow thinking?:mad:
Doubt I'd get any help if I didn't meet the conditions for help.
Reply 28
hey guys,

I managed to get a full time contract now and I will write my appeal over the weekend.Is there anything that I have to know? Any news on that subject?
I also mentioned earlier that I get free accomodation for over a year now..while I'm doing some work around the house. how would I have to proof this? A contract? Handwritten? and what should be in it? I would be very grateful for any help.
Reply 29
Hi!
I am in a similar situation. I got the loans and grant last year and this year I was rejected by the new migrant worker team. I went through 2 stages of the appeal with no positive results. I want to appeal to the Independent Assessor. But there is a problem - I cannot find any contact details and the Head of Formal Appeals Dept., who dealt with the stage 2 appeal, has not given me details where I can appeal further. Does anybody know who is that Independent Assessor and how I can contact him? I am really frustrated about that.

Thanks a lot!
Reply 30
are thee any news yet? did somebody appeal succesfully? :woo:
Reply 31
Hi Everyone,

I am in the same situation as many of you here. I have been workin in England as an EEA migrant worker since August 2006 and started my course in 2008 however not given up part time working. My hours are also set between me and my manager. Last year I have received the support (Local Authority dealt with it) this year my eligibilty has already been approved in the summer and received the payment schedule, however I was receiveng different letters later on, finally I had to submit applications 3 times for different reasons, finally I had to apply as a new student again in November, my second year started in September, I am without student support working in my job, but can not take up more work as I am doing now since I am studying and I am expecting a baby too. Basicly I was execting for this support as once it was confirmed already and now I am gutted. They refused the application they required as they say my job is not genuie and effective community activity. They advised me on the phone because I am a waitress it doesn't realte to my studies. Well last year I was a waitress to....how could I work related to my study if I have not got the relevant qualification yet. There are no such rules saying my work has to relate my study. I have just put my appeal and also have my local MP involved. It is a nightmare they're doing, I don't know how I will be able to carry on with my course if they refuse me.

I was wondering does anyone know if i get a refusal again, and I become a self-employed as well just now (as I have a nail tech qualification just not working as one yet, but I prob will need to if I have no choice left) would I be eligible for the support as I am concerned self-employment takes into account as well. I would appreciate if you could give some help on it.

Good luck to all of you who already appealed and let us know if there is any news.
Reply 32
hey there. I got a letter today..saying that I got the money for this year! seems like my appeal went through.
Reply 33
Hey kameezee, I am going through the appeal process at the moment. It would be great if you could describe your situation and what you did to get positive results. It may help me and other guys ;>
Reply 34
sure!
I mentioned above that I work for an accounting company 30h a week (full time contract)
I also work for my accomodation 12h a week (set up a contract with my landlady)
I explained how my work and my course at uni are related.
I urged them to re-consider my status as I AM a "worker" by european and english law.
It looks like that did it for them.

hope I could help!
Reply 35
I am in similar situation, I'm in my third year of receiving funding as a family member of a migrant worker. I'm married to a EEA national with a parmenent resident status BEFORE the start of my study. ( meaning she is no longer a migrant worker when my study began) At the beginning of the current academic year, my partner stopped working, I notify student finance England before the application was accessed. They agreed that, although she is not currently working, they are satisfy that she is a migrant worker exercising her treaty right. October payment was made and so is January. All of a sudden, I received an update that my application for funding has been withdrawn and I have been overpaid because her work is maginal and ancillary. (Whatever that mean.)Argument is that, SFE is well aware of her employment situation at the beginning of my studies, so it is not a case of her stopping work at the middle of the academic year. Partner is also not a migrant worker at the beginning of my studies. How can I be then class a family member of a migrant worker? Partner was also only unemployed for a month, she started working in November last year and works 16 hours per week.any advice please😟

Latest