The Student Room Group

I need some advice please as i dont know what to do please help

Hello I am 16 I got my GCSE results on Thursday 21st August 2008 I Got C in English language, C in Maths, C in Graphic product design, Merit grade in my BTEC First diploma ICT, a MERIT is 4 B grades at GCSEs, D in English literture, E in Humanties, D in science. Ok so basically I got BBBBCCCDDE at GCSEs and after I had to travel to america because my mum decided to live there. Now am in america, miami florida i am classed as an international student my step dad who married my mum is fileing for me to become an resident of florida and citezenship which might take a long time to get I will be getting my social security number in 2/3 months now the main thing I need advice on is my next educational step. I completed secondary/high school in the UK what path should I take out of the following:

A) Do GED but can i do it at 16?
B) Go high school in usa and get high school diploma?
C) Do SATs and some AP exam to get in to college but will they look at my gcses more then the SATs?
D) Any other you may require

Also is it true that I can apply for schloarships for college if i get my social security number and show some proof that my step dad is fileing for me to have residency in florida and have citezinship in usa?
Reply 1
B) Yes, do that with SATs and AP
C) Are you applying to US for college afterwards? If so, SAT and AP are much more important!

and yes, there are plenty of different scholarships / financial aid that you can get, do a little research on sites such as fastweb, or with the specific colleges that you plan on applying to
Reply 2
yodude888
B) Yes, do that with SATs and AP
C) Are you applying to US for college afterwards? If so, SAT and AP are much more important!

and yes, there are plenty of different scholarships / financial aid that you can get, do a little research on sites such as fastweb, or with the specific colleges that you plan on applying to

Well yes my step dad is applying for my to have to have citezenship in the US, but i want to go college maybe in january or march next year, the thing is say like you have have poor GCSE grades but really good SATs and Ap scores will colleges accept that

also thank you for the answer

+1 rep for you
Peter121PRO
Hello I am 16 I got my GCSE results on Thursday 21st August 2008 I Got C in English language, C in Maths, C in Graphic product design, Merit grade in my BTEC First diploma ICT, a MERIT is 4 B grades at GCSEs, D in English literture, E in Humanties, D in science. Ok so basically I got BBBBCCCDDE at GCSEs and after I had to travel to america because my mum decided to live there. Now am in america, miami florida i am classed as an international student my step dad who married my mum is fileing for me to become an resident of florida and citezenship which might take a long time to get I will be getting my social security number in 2/3 months now the main thing I need advice on is my next educational step. I completed secondary/high school in the UK what path should I take out of the following:

A) Do GED but can i do it at 16?
B) Go high school in usa and get high school diploma?
C) Do SATs and some AP exam to get in to college but will they look at my gcses more then the SATs?
D) Any other you may require

Also is it true that I can apply for schloarships for college if i get my social security number and show some proof that my step dad is fileing for me to have residency in florida and have citezinship in usa?

As for point C) there's a guy in my school who's applying to US unis, so he doesn't need any British qualifications. Not a single one, just SATS and maybe another US exam.
Reply 4
Peter121PRO
Well yes my step dad is applying for my to have to have citezenship in the US, but i want to go college maybe in january or march next year, the thing is say like you have have poor GCSE grades but really good SATs and Ap scores will colleges accept that

also thank you for the answer

+1 rep for you

Thanks for rep! Yep if you have good SATs and AP, along with a good academic transcript for the last two years (ish, depending on college) of school then you should be fine. A lot of American universities don't really care about the GCSE because they don't know what they are. It really depends what tier university you're applying to and how international they are - in more local universities it's possible that they've never seen GCSEs before!
American unis tend to take a much more hollistic view of your application than UK unis, so things like your extra-curriculars and the essays you submit with your applications will also weigh in quite heavily. If you're able to show that you progressed from being a 'good' student to a 'great' student, then they will view that in a positive light! Good luck!
Reply 5
yodude888
Thanks for rep! Yep if you have good SATs and AP, along with a good academic transcript for the last two years (ish, depending on college) of school then you should be fine. A lot of American universities don't really care about the GCSE because they don't know what they are. It really depends what tier university you're applying to and how international they are - in more local universities it's possible that they've never seen GCSEs before!
American unis tend to take a much more hollistic view of your application than UK unis, so things like your extra-curriculars and the essays you submit with your applications will also weigh in quite heavily. If you're able to show that you progressed from being a 'good' student to a 'great' student, then they will view that in a positive light! Good luck!

When you say extra- curriculars is that stuff out of school like activties and projects out of school and activitys in school but not apart of school education becasue i done a project and activity out of school which had drama and biking activiy and got a video of the drama and certificate is that an extra curicular
Peter121PRO
When you say extra- curriculars is that stuff out of school like activties and projects out of school and activitys in school but not apart of school education becasue i done a project and activity out of school which had drama and biking activiy and got a video of the drama and certificate is that an extra curicular

If you want to start college soon then I suggest you take and pass the GED and enroll at a community college. After 2 years you can then transfer to regular university and be halfway to your degree.
Reply 7
It might be worth taking a look around the high school in your area. Although completing high school in the USA is roughly equivilent to good GCSEs, you get the chance to take AP courses which are higher and some college courses. My brother is a year older than you, and just started school in NJ. He says it's easy compared to the UK system, and from similar GCSE grades is getting As and Bs. Why is he doing it instead of going straight to college? Because high school is so much more than just courses, particularly in the USA. There's all the extra-curricular activities - you'll find lots of drama, music and sport as well as societies and community groups. As well as this they emphasise liberal arts which is learning a bit of everything. So you will probably study English, Maths, Science, Geography, History, Economics, PE, Drivers Ed, Foreign Language.
If I were you, I would enroll in a local high school with a solid AP program. That way you go to school for free, and if you pass the AP exams at the end of each term you get university credit (for free - just want to emphasize that again). Plus, at the very least you'll end up with a high school diploma (even if you don't pass the AP exams) and be more competitive for university admission. And you'll be around kids your age. At university, you'll be younger than most everyone else. Hell, under 18 you can't even get into the club much less drink while you're there!

A community college will take you without the SAT or GED. Basically you just show up and enroll. They'll require you to take placement exams to determine where you should be in math/science/english classes (etc), but they're just to determine placement - they have no bearing on admission. If you do well at community college, you can transfer out as early as your first semester. If not, if you stay through the first two years to earn the associates degree most universities will admit you after that.

If you decide to apply directly to university, you will need to take the SAT and do well on it. Depending on what level university you're interested in, you may or may not be admitted. If you don't mind paying the application fees, you could always apply to a handful of universities. If you don't get admitted, you could just turn around and enroll in high school and finish the high school diploma.

Extra-curricular activities are anything outside of the school-prescribed curriculum, whether it is school-sponsored or not. So school clubs count as do any community activities (like a local theater or whatever).
Reply 9
WhoNeedsIvyLeague
If you want to start college soon then I suggest you take and pass the GED and enroll at a community college. After 2 years you can then transfer to regular university and be halfway to your degree.
However, I don't think a lot of top schools will look favorably on this path (with the caveat that I am not an admissions officers). A high school diploma is very important for college admissions, though if you have two years of community college under your belt, that'll certainly help. In either case, you'll have to send your high school grades along with your application, even if you've been out for a year or two.
r0x0r
However, I don't think a lot of top schools will look favorably on this path (with the caveat that I am not an admissions officers). A high school diploma is very important for college admissions, though if you have two years of community college under your belt, that'll certainly help. In either case, you'll have to send your high school grades along with your application, even if you've been out for a year or two.

The OP's GCSE's don't suggest that a top school is in his/her future. University of Florida, Florida State, etc. are all fine public unis in the state that accept MANY community college transfers.
Reply 11
I've been to the University of Florida and I found it lovely and an inspiring place to study in despite its huge size. And, I agree that UF is one of those highly respected institutions.
Reply 12
Hi,

I would definitely recommend going to high school in the area and taking AP courses and the SATs. If you decide to go to school in the U.S. you definitely need them. If you decide to go to the UK, you can still submit them and they will look at them in the way that they look at A-levels.

I'm at university in the U.S. right now and its true that they like to see good extracurricular activities and good grades as well as good test scores. i'm applying to university in the UK now for law school and they wanted to see all my SAT and AP scores and everything like that.

You should be careful with getting your U.S. residence or citizenship. You should check with universities in the UK to see what that does to your home student status. you don't want to get stuck paying international student fees if you don't have to.

good luck!

you should definitely go to american high school though. don't get a ged or go to community college. you are better off getting good ap scores and stuff like that..and plus...high school is a fun-ish experience. haha.
Reply 13
Shiva17
Hi,

I would definitely recommend going to high school in the area and taking AP courses and the SATs. If you decide to go to school in the U.S. you definitely need them. If you decide to go to the UK, you can still submit them and they will look at them in the way that they look at A-levels.

I'm at university in the U.S. right now and its true that they like to see good extracurricular activities and good grades as well as good test scores. i'm applying to university in the UK now for law school and they wanted to see all my SAT and AP scores and everything like that.

You should be careful with getting your U.S. residence or citizenship. You should check with universities in the UK to see what that does to your home student status. you don't want to get stuck paying international student fees if you don't have to.

good luck!

you should definitely go to american high school though. don't get a ged or go to community college. you are better off getting good ap scores and stuff like that..and plus...high school is a fun-ish experience. haha.

Thanks, i will have something called dual citezenship when i get my US citezenship I will still have my UK citezenship, yeah maybe high school is the way to go am still thinking about it.
Peter121PRO
Thanks, i will have something called dual citezenship when i get my US citezenship I will still have my UK citezenship, yeah maybe high school is the way to go am still thinking about it.

You realize that you can't become a naturalized citizen in the US until you're 18, right? And before you become a naturalized citizen, you must have lived in the US for 5 years.

Dual residency, on the other hand, is much easier to achieve.

Latest

Trending

Trending