The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I agree...UCL are being totally unfair to Law students, my friend got his offer (for another subject) super quickly . Maybe the Law department just has a bit of legislation stuck up it's arse
Reply 21
ClosetGinger
Maybe the Law department just has a bit of legislation stuck up it's arse

Wonderful figure of speech :biggrin:
Lottelo
Well, it certainly makes me suspicious. Refusing to give feedback (as part of a so called UCL policy, if it exists) to seemingly good applicants, who were rejected without interview could easily be interpreted as trying to cover something up.

Seriously, it seems whoever looked at mine + mobb's application would have had access to the reason why we was rejected, so why can't they tell us? If lack of information is a reason (with the glut of seemingly good applicants) then why not interview us?

I certainly would like to find out the criteria for admissions.

In the words of Edmund Blackadder "I smell something fishy, and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldrick's apple crumble"

:aetsch: :secruity: :banghead:

What you will get is thus:

UCL Law admissions is handled by just 3 people (IIRC this was mentioned on a thread somewhere)
Thus they are unable to interview masses of people
Then they will either say you were rejected because of:
Personal Statement
Reference
[both extremely unlikely]
or LNAT Score
LNAT Essay
a combination of these factors

A lack of information is never really attributed as a factor. Someone I know who was rejected with exemplary UMS was- honestly- told, 'well the successful candidates could have better UMS, we just don't know' [his UMS averaged over 290].

Similarly, if they make some assertion about your PS it is hard to argue with them. Take Durham, they told my friend that 'at some schools these activities (Young Ent and school magazine) are compulsory so we ignore them'.

The sad thing is Lotello, you will never really be able to accept your UCL rejection (quite rightly), but I feel that your search for answers will simply leave you with an even more bitter feeling as you realise how unfair the system is, especially in regards to so many factors beyond UCL's control.
Reply 23
tomcoolinguk
What you will get is thus:

UCL Law admissions is handled by just 3 people (IIRC this was mentioned on a thread somewhere)
Thus they are unable to interview masses of people
Then they will either say you were rejected because of:
Personal Statement
Reference
[both extremely unlikely]
or LNAT Score
LNAT Essay
a combination of these factors

A lack of information is never really attributed as a factor. Someone I know who was rejected with exemplary UMS was- honestly- told, 'well the successful candidates could have better UMS, we just don't know' [his UMS averaged over 290].

Similarly, if they make some assertion about your PS it is hard to argue with them. Take Durham, they told my friend that 'at some schools these activities (Young Ent and school magazine) are compulsory so we ignore them'.

The sad thing is Lotello, you will never really be able to accept your UCL rejection (quite rightly), but I feel that your search for answers will simply leave you with an even more bitter feeling as you realise how unfair the system is, especially in regards to so many factors beyond UCL's control.

and it goes back again to the flaws of the A levels and examinations. So in reality, everyone's been screwed over by the "system". :hmpf:
Lottelo
Well, it certainly makes me suspicious. Refusing to give feedback (as part of a so called UCL policy, if it exists) to seemingly good applicants, who were rejected without interview could easily be interpreted as trying to cover something up.

Seriously, it seems whoever looked at mine + mobb's application would have had access to the reason why we was rejected, so why can't they tell us? If lack of information is a reason (with the glut of seemingly good applicants) then why not interview us?

I certainly would like to find out the criteria for admissions.

In the words of Edmund Blackadder "I smell something fishy, and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldrick's apple crumble"

:aetsch: :secruity: :banghead:

Focus on LSE. Send offer vibes to LSE.

ETA: If I were drunk, I'd say we should all go down and heckle them. But I'm not, so the idea shall remain in my head.
Reply 25
london_bum
Focus on LSE. Send offer vibes to LSE.

And imagine my reaction when I get rejected from them!

I will email them my UMS marks when I receive my Jan module results though.
Lottelo
and it goes back again to the flaws of the A levels and examinations. So in reality, everyone's been screwed over by the "system". :hmpf:

Yes. This is why I have always been so vehemently against grade inflation. It has to have consequences. The unfortunate thing is that the consequences are being felt by both stronger and weaker students... it is completely hit and miss.
Lottelo
And imagine my reaction when I get rejected from them!

I will email them my UMS marks when I receive my Jan module results though.

Good idea.

But please remember you still have King's. And King's are like, properly excellent.
Reply 28
*Sigh*

Everywhere we turn someone's having their head kicked by this damn 'system'..

Let's start a Pressure Group :smile:

"Students for Justice"

Lottelo - You can be Spiderman and climb the Houses of Parliament, Tom, you're Superman, you can scale Big Ben, I'll be Catwoman, and I'll take Number 10...

On my command...
I'll make the tea :biggrin:
Dreama
*Sigh*

Everywhere we turn someone's having their head kicked by this damn 'system'..

Let's start a Pressure Group :smile:

"Students for Justice"

Lottelo - You can be Spiderman and climb the Houses of Parliament, Tom, you're Superman, you can scale Big Ben, I'll be Catwoman, and I'll take Number 10...

On my command...

Lol... I would rather be the man with eggs to pelt at Charles Clarke, Estelle Morris and David Blunkett! Ruth Kelly is quite nice though (I've met her :smile:) so I don't want to pelt her!
Reply 31
tomcoolinguk
Out of interest, does anyone have any idea how many rejections have been made...

In total, about 2500 applicants for law at UCL will be rejected this year. Of those 2500, about 1000 will have the standard 7A's+ for GCSE and 3A's+ for A-levels.
lawgrad
In total, about 2500 applicants for law at UCL will be rejected this year. Of those 2500, about 1000 will have the standard 7A's+ for GCSE and 3A's+ for A-levels.

Would you take students with much lower GCSE grades if you thought they showed enough potential?
Reply 33
tomcoolinguk
Yes... but I know people who waited until May last year only for a rejection, and thus ended up with crappy accomodation at their chosen university [as most have started distributing accomodation by this time]. Moreover, there are some people- e.g. myself, if I get a Bristol rejection as well- who will be reapplying if they get a UCL rejection. If I haven't heard by April ish, I'm going to be in a major limbo in terms of travel plans.

I really don't see how it can be taking UCL so long personally. GCSEs and ALevels and the LNAT score data can be processed using computer databases etc. I mean is it me, or is this the ONLY Law course which still hasn't made offers!

Out of interest, does anyone have any idea how many rejections have been made...

Why are Bristol taking so long as well?
BAVS
Why are Bristol taking so long as well?

Because they're idiots. I wish the top law schools would reject people as rapidly as they possibly can- I know many people here have taken their rejections badly, but seriously- Bristol have approximately 3000 [could be higher] applicants for Law, and to my knowledge not a single one has been rejected yet- I fail to recognise why they couldn't instantly reject at least 2000 of them.

I'm fed up of waiting.

I really need to know whether I have a UCL/Bristol place as the best schemes etc are all filling up.
Reply 35
Onearmedbandit
Would you take students with much lower GCSE grades if you thought they showed enough potential?

The word 'much' would induce me to say 'no'. :-( Slightly lower GCSEs (say 5A's, 4B's, 1C) could be acceptable with the right potential, but I doubt anyone with anything far less than that would get an offer.
Well I wouldn't say mine are far less than that.

2A*s, 2As, 5Bs, 2Cs (though it seems most unis only look at the top 8 or 9 so the Cs will be ignored). I haven't been rejected just yet... so either they haven't looked at my application or they are still considering me :smile:
Reply 37
Onearmedbandit
Well I wouldn't say mine are far less than that.

2A*s, 2As, 5Bs, 2Cs (though it seems most unis only look at the top 8 or 9 so the Cs will be ignored). I haven't been rejected just yet... so either they haven't looked at my application or they are still considering me :smile:

Good luck! :-)
Reply 38
Lawgrad is there nothing you can do for us? :redface:
Leifde
Lawgrad is there nothing you can do for us? :redface:

:eek: Nah, they probably have so many applications... nobody would recognise us.

That said, I feel like I need to watch what I say around lawgrad :|! Eep

Latest

Trending

Trending