The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Physics interview at Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JAck_cordery
Oh nice whens your date, and what course you applied for?

15th November, and Combined Physics and Maths, you?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
Mine (4 years ago mind) was very relaxed. My interviewer did ask me quite technical questions, but I didn't have a clue about any of them (he was an astronomer, I had never done anything on astronomy and was totally not interested in it) and still got a decent offer...
Reply 22
Original post by -G-a-v-
It's hard to say what sort of physics you'll get asked (if any - some do, some don't!) but it'll probably be vaguely related to something you've mentioned that you're interested in on your personal statement (although mine was only loosely connected to Astrophysics - was more historical than anything - not that youre expected to know stuff like that!) - you might also get asked to do a little bit of maths - nothing too strenuous though!

Fred (the admissions guy) will probably tell you all of this when you come up anyway, but the fact that you've been invited to interview means that you're in (conditionally, at least if you're still doing your A-levels), and the interview is there to determine the most appropriate offer (which will very probably be AAA, with a smattering of a few AABs floating about).

The day is pretty relaxed and informal for the most part (you'll be in Manchester for a few hours, only 30 minutes of that will be interview time!) - when you arrive you'll meet other applicants and current students (such as myself, I'll probably be there at some point - though I won't actually know for certain until the day before) - we're basically there so you can get an 'inside view' of what Manchester uni is like and what physics is like at uni etc. - so you can ask us the stuff you want to know that isnt in the prospectus or whatever - then after that Fred (the admissions tutor) does his bit, then you go off for tours and interviews and such.

There's no real need to prepare overly thoroughly - the interivew isnt meant to catch you out or be a test of any sort, when I came for inteview he referred to it as a 'friendly chat' - which may or may not involve you doing a bit of physics. Just enjoy the day.

Fred was ace! He was there at my interview, never saw him then had him for a third year particle physics course.
Original post by joshbros
15th November, and Combined Physics and Maths, you?

Snap! how you getting there?
I have got a letter right now.
I've got an interview on the 15th for Maths and Physics too! No idea what to expect, hope its all as above.
Reply 26
Hey! I got one for 1st Nov! Physics and astronomy and I am super nervous, have they made their mind up if its technical or not? Cos half seem to say it it and the other half say it isnt?
Reply 27
I'm a little scared about mine (this Thursday), but maybe I could post how it goes...
Original post by Snavej
Hey! I got one for 1st Nov! Physics and astronomy and I am super nervous, have they made their mind up if its technical or not? Cos half seem to say it it and the other half say it isnt?

How was it?
Original post by cashton
I'm a little scared about mine (this Thursday), but maybe I could post how it goes...

tell us how it goes and what happens!!!
Yes, we are waiting for your reply. My interview is on 22nd.
Reply 31
Unless they've changed it, if you've gotten a letter for an itnerview, you essentially have an offer. They'll tell you this when you get talked too. So you can stop worrying! :h: The interview is for "borderline cases" and to see how you think, but all in all it doesn't matter much. Questions that you will get will vary. It'll be one on one with an academic staff and last 15ish minutes and they'll talk about the usual stuff, like why Manchester, why Physics etc, which 1 or 2 academic questions, which can vary. Mine was Maths related, I know someone who was Cosmology related, another was statistic related etc. But you shouldn't worry.
Yeah, I have twenty days to prepare my interview. I still don't know if I am comfortable to speak about Physics in an another language. My greatest concern is if I don't understand the question or the vocabulary that the man is using.
This is part of the big game, so....let's go to Manchester!!!

Do you think that with the two Nobel Prizes the Department has become more prestigious?
Original post by edo1493
Yeah, I have twenty days to prepare my interview. I still don't know if I am comfortable to speak about Physics in an another language. My greatest concern is if I don't understand the question or the vocabulary that the man is using.
This is part of the big game, so....let's go to Manchester!!!

Do you think that with the two Nobel Prizes the Department has become more prestigious?

Maybe, they do seem to advertise it on open day. But what I don't get is that they don't need nobel prize winners to be prestigious, they already have Brian Cox WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I don't know, imperial is probably better...
I am not sure.
Reply 35
Snap! how you getting there?

I believe by car, don't really know at the moment.

All i know is train prices are ridiculous so thats not happening.

You? Where bouts you coming from to get there?
Original post by joshbros
I believe by car, don't really know at the moment.

All i know is train prices are ridiculous so thats not happening.

You? Where bouts you coming from to get there?

Yeah i know im flying from heathrow. Believe it or not, it was the cheapest way for me. As i cant be driven. Were abouts you from?
Btw good luck, have you determined what sort of interview youre preparing for yet?
Reply 37
It was absolutely fine; if you get an interview you've got an offer we were told and the interview was just there for insurance reasons, nothing to be scared of :smile:
Original post by cashton
It was absolutely fine; if you get an interview you've got an offer we were told and the interview was just there for insurance reasons, nothing to be scared of :smile:

What do you mean by 'insurance reasons?' :s-smilie:
Reply 39
Yeah i know im flying from heathrow. Believe it or not, it was the cheapest way for me. As i cant be driven. Were abouts you from?
Btw good luck, have you determined what sort of interview youre preparing for yet?

Aha, how much is flying then? May have to look into this. And bout 40 miles north of London, just a bit past Luton.

Cheers, you too. And from what I gather its not really an interview at all, just an excuse to force us all to visit the place first. So just reading the books I claimed to have read on my Personal Statement, probably re-read that the night before, hopefully that'll do me. Why? You got info saying its a much tougher gig?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending