The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Physics interview at Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by edo1493
Who is going on the 22nd ?

I'm going then, what course have you applied for?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by jayjrp
Hey man that's really helpful, I have an interview there next week, how technical was yours? Can I ask what kind of things they asked you about, like what how much based on your personal statement, and how much about why Manchester specifically?

Well it is dependent on what interviewer you get. But generally i would say its more for you own benefit ie. asking questions on a one-one basis. It can include a technical question, like mine, but nothing too difficult. Obviously think about why you chose manchester and the subject as its an obvious question.
But you'll get there and fred ( who is pretty awesome) will tell you all about it. He described it as a friendly chat, which it is.

So dont worry about and enjoy your day. Let me know how it goes and if you have any more questions, fire away.
my mate had one and they asked him how many piano tuners there are in manchester?
Original post by ccfcadam36
my mate had one and they asked him how many piano tuners there are in manchester?

wtf.......:confused:
Reply 64
Original post by JAck_cordery
Yeah, thats fine dont apologise. YEah it was brilliant, i think other unis are going to have a hard time beating it.
THe interview was ok i suppose, i was asked to intergrate a trig function, which ive never come across. So that didnt go too well.
But overall i enjoyed the day.

Where abouts from london?

That's good! Yep they are my preference as well, can't wait to go up and see what's what. And I live in Richmond, how about you?
Reply 65
Original post by capa
I have one on the 15th too!

Great, congratulations! Are you applying for straight Physics or something else? And are you driving there? I guess it's not too far from Sheffield. :smile:
I am applying for Physics with Theoretical..
I am at the airport!
Do you guys know anything about Hatters? I booked a two nights room there...
Original post by edo1493
I am at the airport!
Do you guys know anything about Hatters? I booked a two nights room there...

You are at the airport RIGHT NOW?!
Reply 68
Original post by icedragon
Great, congratulations! Are you applying for straight Physics or something else? And are you driving there? I guess it's not too far from Sheffield. :smile:

Thanks, congrats to you too! I've applied for straight Physics MPhys, how about you? No, I'm going on the train as well :smile: and you're right, it's just under an hour to get there so it's no problem! Not as far as from London anyway :biggrin:
How are you preparing? I'm still not quite sure how many physics or maths questions to expect.
Reply 69
Original post by capa
Thanks, congrats to you too! I've applied for straight Physics MPhys, how about you? No, I'm going on the train as well :smile: and you're right, it's just under an hour to get there so it's no problem! Not as far as from London anyway :biggrin:
How are you preparing? I'm still not quite sure how many physics or maths questions to expect.

Thanks :smile:. Exactly the same too! Yeah I think I'll get a Virgin train, takes just over 2 hours so it could be worse.

I'm just re-reading everything I said I've read in my personal statement, plus a couple of other books. You really shouldn't worry about it, most people get few/no technical questions. From what I have read and heard pretty much everyone who has an interview gets an offer, it's just to determine the offer itself (grades etc.).

I'm more worried about not knowing anyone :tongue:. Especially with this so called "buffet", sounds a bit strange!

EDIT: WOOOH 1,000 posts :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 70
Thanks :smile:. Exactly the same too! Yeah I think I'll get a Virgin train, takes just over 2 hours so it could be worse.

I'm just re-reading everything I said I've read in my personal statement, plus a couple of other books. You really shouldn't worry about it, most people get few/no technical questions. From what I have read and heard pretty much everyone who has an interview gets an offer, it's just to determine the offer itself (grades etc.).

I'm more worried about not knowing anyone :tongue:. Especially with this so called "buffet", sounds a bit strange!

Oh, that's alright then! Are you going on your own? All us lonely people can sit together for the buffet :tongue:

And I didn't mention any specific books on purpose in my personal statement, although I do need to do reading in the subject areas I mentioned.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine :smile: and it's another chance to look round the university.
Reply 71
Original post by capa
Oh, that's alright then! Are you going on your own? All us lonely people can sit together for the buffet :tongue:

And I didn't mention any specific books on purpose in my personal statement, although I do need to do reading in the subject areas I mentioned.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine :smile: and it's another chance to look round the university.

Yep I am. Haha good idea.

If you fancy reading something and haven't already read it then read QED by Richard Feynman, really interesting so far :smile:. Agreed, I can't wait to have a look around!
Reply 72
Yep I am. Haha good idea.

If you fancy reading something and haven't already read it then read QED by Richard Feynman, really interesting so far :smile:. Agreed, I can't wait to have a look around!

Ha, QED is on my pile of books to read :smile: Just have to get through the laws of thermodynamics and the 4% universe first!
Reply 73
Original post by capa
Ha, QED is on my pile of books to read :smile: Just have to get through the laws of thermodynamics and the 4% universe first!

Looking on amazon they look like decent reads, might have to take a look. :smile:
Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
You are at the airport RIGHT NOW?!

Yes I was...
Now I am in an hostel near piccadilly gardens. : )
Reply 75
Original post by edo1493
Who is going on the 22nd ?

ME ! :smile:
But for Computing with Business & Management.. I'm excited, though!
Original post by edo1493

Oh, I've applied for Physics with Study in Continental Europe, I thought there might be some sort of connection between course and visit day.

I'm wondering how smartly dressed I'll need to be. I don't own a suit, and as far as casual clothes go all my shoes have holes in. :angry: Probably have to figure something out before tomorrow..
It says "INFORMAL interview", so you can come naked.
Re-read my letter, and there is nothing about coming naked on there. :frown:
As for the ranking, while I know it's a well respected university for physics, I've seen other league tables place Oxford above Manchester. To be honest league tables are a load of **** anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending