The Student Room Group

Co-transport in the small intestine?

I'm confused about the role of symporters in the small intestine when it comes to the digestion of sodium, glucose and amino acids.

I know that sodium is absorbed by active transport, while glucose and amino acids "co-transport" - apparently through the use of a symporter, an integral cell membrane protein which enables two or more molecules or ions to move across a cell membrane.

My question is whether the glucose and amino acids move "with" with the sodium through a symporter, or whether the process of absorption of these substances are unrelated?

I hope my question made sense :p: I'm not very good at explaining myself
Thanks! :smile:

Oh okay I think I understand the question! I believe they're unrelated i.e. they go across separately but I'm not 100% sure, it's too early :p:
Reply 2
All I know Anna is that you are much better at this than I am :smile:
Reply 3
Amino acids absorption requires a sodium dependant amino acid transporter (and Na and amino acids are transported in the same direction).
Glucose is transported by a sodium dependant hexose transporter SGLUT-1 which transports both sodium and glucose into the cells.
Is that what you wanted to know?
Reply 4
HannahUVM
Amino acids absorption requires a sodium dependant amino acid transporter (and Na and amino acids are transported in the same direction).
Glucose is transported by a sodium dependant hexose transporter SGLUT-1 which transports both sodium and glucose into the cells.
Is that what you wanted to know?

Oh right! Yep, that answers my question. Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending