The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Exeter (including, if taught there, the Cornwall campus where lower grades will be asked for), Southampton (just under 2 hours from Bristol, I'd think, longer from Cornwall), Bath (fifteen minutes from Bristol), Reading (one hour), Royal Holloway (just under two hours from Bristol, longer from Cornwall).

There may be a handful of others. Anyway, these are all great to decent universities, however, I can't comment on te quality of the psychology departments (yes, they are all "top 50", but that doesn't really mean a great deal). I'll leave it to psychology students to give feedback on the quality of the departments.

Use a map (to see the location of these unis/towns/cities) and traveline is a great journey planner resource
http://www.traveline.org.uk/index.htm

What are your GCSE grades, often you'll need a grade B or above in English and Maths. Also, not all of these unis will accepted BBB at A-level (Bath's offer is AAA, for example).
Reply 2
I think bath University. To get into Bath for Psychology you need AAA however, as your a 2nd year student and have your grades, they may accept you. What are your 1st year grades like? Bath University facilities are excellent, My Best mate is there, Hes now doing his masters, however he had very good career prospects before graduating, as alot of top firms choose places like Bath.

Hope this helps a little

Need any more info just Ask
Reply 3
River85
Exeter (including, if taught there, the Cornwall campus where lower grades will be asked for), Southampton (just under 2 hours from Bristol, I'd think, longer from Cornwall), Bath (fifteen minutes from Bristol), Reading (one hour), Royal Holloway (just under two hours from Bristol, longer from Cornwall).

:no:

Exeters quite close to both, though.
Reply 4
Sarahl89

:no:

I know, I'm aware where Exeter is. It's certainly within commuting distance of both (particularly Bristol). I meant both (which is why I said including the Cornwall campus). I just made a particular point of mentioning Cornwall as, if they even offer psychology, will probably ask for lower grades. Exeter itself will be AAA-AAB, I'd imagine.

But, after further investigation, I don't think it is offered at Cornwall anyway.

By the way, I just accidentally quoted you in another thread (a university prestige thread). It was your post from the "advantages of being rejected by Cambridge" so, if it appears in your "who quoted my box", but find I haven't quoted you, don't worry. Erm....I hope that actually makes sense :p:
KJ21
I think bath University. To get into Bath for Psychology you need AAA however, as your a 2nd year student and have your grades, they may accept you. What are your 1st year grades like? Bath University facilities are excellent, My Best mate is there, Hes now doing his masters, however he had very good career prospects before graduating, as alot of top firms choose places like Bath.

Hope this helps a little

Need any more info just Ask

i am finding a place close to bristol and cornwall, i heard exeter is good, and its good for psychology. They got a campus in cornwall-brill!!! i'll apply there.
I just need to find one near bristol, which is a pain because there is only bath and bristol, both need AAB to get into, but i only got 4Bs so i dont want to waste a space.
1-2h communting to bristol would be fine for me, i just need to find a good uni for psychology(thats above 50th)
ty:yep:
Reply 6
River85
I know, I'm aware where Exeter is. It's certainly within commuting distance of both (particularly Bristol). I meant both (which is why I said including the Cornwall campus). I just made a particular point of mentioning Cornwall as, if they even offer psychology, will probably ask for lower grades. Exeter itself will be AAA-AAB, I'd imagine.

But, after further investigation, I don't think it is offered at Cornwall anyway.

By the way, I just accidentally quoted you in another thread (a university prestige thread). It was your post from the "advantages of being rejected by Cambridge" so, if it appears in your "who quoted my box", but find I haven't quoted you, don't worry. Erm....I hope that actually makes sense :p:

i know :smile: i wasnt having a go at your geographical knowlege of where exeter is:p: ... i meant that Psychology isn't offered here in the Cornwall Campus..

& yeahh that does slightly make sense i think.. :s-smilie: :woo:
Reply 7
silverwolfalpha
i am finding a place close to bristol and cornwall, i heard exeter is good, and its good for psychology. They got a campus in cornwall-brill!!! i'll apply there.
I just need to find one near bristol, which is a pain because there is only bath and bristol, both need AAB to get into, but i only got 4Bs so i dont want to waste a space.
1-2h communting to bristol would be fine for me, i just need to find a good uni for psychology(thats above 50th)

You need AAB But thats to get onto the course in year one.

You have 4 B's, So thats one more A-Level than they say. Also many students drop out in the first year, especially with a difficult course like psychology. There is no harm in ringing the University and speaking to them directly and see if they would accept you. No harm in trying.
KJ21
You need AAB But thats to get onto the course in year one.

You have 4 B's, So thats one more A-Level than they say. Also many students drop out in the first year, especially with a difficult course like psychology. There is no harm in ringing the University and speaking to them directly and see if they would accept you. No harm in trying.

ty ty, u really give me hope.
oh yea if cornwall campus dont offer psychology, do their main campus do? where is it btw? is it near cornwall?(in terms of train journey)
Reply 9
Plymouth do Psychology, Thats not too far. Is that the main Campus, trying to think? Think it is
Reply 10
silverwolfalpha

I don't have a clue where they are in the tables, or what grades they want, but there's UWE (which is in Bristol) and Cardiff (about an hour away on the train) too.
Reply 11
silverwolfalpha

The Cornwall campus don't offer psychology. It may still be worth contacting Exeter and making an enquiry. Are you at uni or have you dropped out? Because, if you're still at uni and just looking to transfer, they may take your first year performance into account and place less of an emphasis on A-levels.

As mention, there's also Cardiff (quite embarrising that I forgot Cardiff, as I may be there as a postgrad in a couple of years!). I'm not sure about their entry requirements though. I'd guess they were AAB-ABB.

Are you sure you can cope with a one and a half hour commute?
Reply 12
silverwolfalpha
ty ty, u really give me hope.
oh yea if cornwall campus dont offer psychology, do their main campus do? where is it btw? is it near cornwall?(in terms of train journey)

What have you decided?
I'm pretty sure Cardiff's AAB-AAA now.
But yeah, Cardiff's a great uni for Psychology =)
Why do you want to change uni and be in the SW anyway? :/
River85
The Cornwall campus don't offer psychology. It may still be worth contacting Exeter and making an enquiry. Are you at uni or have you dropped out? Because, if you're still at uni and just looking to transfer, they may take your first year performance into account and place less of an emphasis on A-levels.

As mention, there's also Cardiff (quite embarrising that I forgot Cardiff, as I may be there as a postgrad in a couple of years!). I'm not sure about their entry requirements though. I'd guess they were AAB-ABB.

Are you sure you can cope with a one and a half hour commute?

yea i can, i am doing 2 and half going home every 2 weeks.
See the situation is that my GF applied to southampton, bristol and Falmouth(cornwall) for route B. I decided portsmouth(maybe), southampton, warwick.

Looked at plymouth, they are too low. Exeter is very good at psychology, so i am going to call them/email them, thats cornwall sorted(1.5h communte did u say?)
Which one is Cardiff close to?
KJ21
What have you decided?

exeter will be my choice, how far is it from cornwall??
cornish pasties!! :yep: :woo:
Reply 16
silverwolfalpha

Which one is Cardiff close to?

Just to save you the hassle pal, Cardiff Uni want AAA and will not take anything less than that, even if your going in as a 2nd year student.
Reply 17
silverwolfalpha
exeter will be my choice, how far is it from cornwall??
cornish pasties!! :yep: :woo:

Depends where in Corwall, Its around 1hr thou maybe a lil longer
KJ21
Depends where in Corwall, Its around 1hr thou maybe a lil longer

could u just gimme the choices close to bristol please ?
i can't seem to find any.
Reply 19
Sarahl89

I live in Cornwall and Exeter is 2-2.5hrs!

Latest