The Student Room Group
Reply 1
How many points are there on a line?

Say y = x. Then
(0.1,0.1)
(5,5)
(1000000,1000000)

Are all on the line- in fact, (x,x) is on the line regardless of the value of x. Since there are infinitely many possible values of x, there are infinitely many (x,x)s.
Reply 2
Icy_Mikki
How many points are there on a line?

Say y = x. Then
(0.1,0.1)
(5,5)
(1000000,1000000)

Are all on the line- in fact, (x,x) is on the line regardless of the value of x. Since there are infinitely many possible values of x, there are infinitely many (x,x)s.

ohh, lol i've got in the habit of thinking of planes as pieces of paper, so when i think of the line solution of it i think of where the paper stops - so should be thought of as infinitely spanning space, just in a particular orientation?

Surely though that means a plane solution will also give infinite solutions?

thanks for the quick reply
Reply 3
Yeh a plane solution should also give infinite solutions!
Reply 4
Sinay
ohh, lol i've got in the habit of thinking of planes as pieces of paper, so when i think of the line solution of it i think of where the paper stops - so should be thought of as infinitely spanning space, just in a particular orientation?

Surely though that means a plane solution will also give infinite solutions?

thanks for the quick reply

Even if you were thinking of the intersection of two finite planes in a line segment, there's still infinitely many solutions because the line segment still has infinitely many points.
Reply 5
Morbo
Even if you were thinking of the intersection of two finite planes in a line segment, there's still infinitely many solutions because the line segment still has infinitely many points.

yeah that's true actually - lol thanks

Latest