The Student Room Group

visual cliff experiment results(Gibson,Walk)

hey guys i am doing a UNIVERSITY essay(mods keep telling me i post in the wrong room), so i want undergrad and grad psychology student help plz(not posting in social sciences forum and get help from GCSE ppl)

anyways i need the results from the Visual cliff experiment conducted by Gibson and Walk. I found that from 6 month onwards most babies develop depth perception, can any1 tell me at what age will they cross the cliff?? i can't find it any where. I am trying to justify depth perception is not innate.
Reply 1
F - All of the 27 infants who moved off the centre board crawled out on to the shallow side at least once.

F - Only 3 attempted to crawl on to the ‘deep’ side (cliff side).

F - Many of the infants crawled away from the mother when she called to them from the ‘deep’ side; others cried when she stood there because they could not get to her without crossing the ‘deep’ side.

C – Most human infants can discriminate depth as soon as they can crawl.

F - Chicks, at an age of less than 24 hours would always hop off the centre board on to the shallow side, rather than the ‘deep’ side.

F - Kids and lambs never stepped on to the ‘deep’ side, even at 1 day old.

F - Rats (who depend upon their whiskers to navigate, rather than visual cues), showed little preference for the shallow side, so long as they could feel the glass with their whiskers. When the centre board was placed higher than their whiskers, they nearly always descended onto the shallow side.

F - Kittens (although they rely on their whiskers, also use sight as they are predatory); at 4 weeks old showed preference for the shallow side, and ‘froze’ when placed onto the ‘deep’ side or circled back to the centre board.

F – Kittens who had been reared in darkness for their first 27 days of life crawled onto the shallow and deep side equally. When placed on the deep side, they demonstrated similar behaviours to if they had placed on the shallow side THEY DID NOT ‘FREEZE’ OR ‘CIRCLE BACK LIKE ‘NORMAL’ KITTENS. After this initial research, these kittens were kept in ‘normal’ lighting conditions. They were tested daily on the visual cliff and by the end of 1 week the ‘dark reared’ kittens demonstrated similar behaviours to kittens who had been reared in the light i.e. almost unanimous preference for shallow side.

F – 76% of the Aquatic Turtles crawled off onto the shallow side.

C - The large minority that chose the deep side suggests the turtle has poorer depth discrimination than other animals. G&W suggest that in its natural habitat does not really pose it with the ‘occasion to fall’.

“The survival of a species requires that its members develop discrimination of depth by the time they take up independent locomotion, whether it be at 1 day (the chick and goat), 4 weeks (the rat and cat), or 6-14 months (the human infant). That such a vital capacity does not depend on possibly fatal accidents of learning in the lives of individuals is consistent with Evolutionary Theory”.

Im not at uni, but since you have had no responses - here is some info, I dunno if it will benefit you or not.

Latest