The Student Room Group

Most Prestigious Oxford College?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Azzrahelle
Magdalen has Oscar Wilde and C.S. Lewis. Or C.S. Lewis and Oscar Wilde. And other people, I'm sure. Which I don't remember right now.
Far as I'm concerned... ownd

It also has the top 3 shadow cabinet positions (foreign, home and chancellor of the exchequer).
Teebs
It also has the top 3 shadow cabinet positions (foreign, home and chancellor of the exchequer).

guess which one of us gives a damn about politics :p:
Reply 102
Azzrahelle
guess which one of us gives a damn about politics :p:

Meh, they're all Tories anyway *spits* :p:
Reply 103
I'm a bit surprised so many people are saying Balliol tbh (great as it is :smile:). I had no idea it was so popular when I applied - I had to choose a different college at the last minute (silly school) and went with Balliol cause it had the highest proportion of en-suite bathrooms :biggrin:
Opinions on Corpus Christi?
Original post by philerus

I highly doubt these people will reply - this thread was last posted on 6 years ago..
Original post by Lucilou101
I highly doubt these people will reply - this thread was last posted on 6 years ago..

I doubted it myself, but you responded quite swiftly. How come?
I doubted it myself, but you responded quite swiftly. How come?

Because when you comment on a thread, it comes to the top of the forum again :wink:
Original post by Lucilou101
Because when you comment on a thread, it comes to the top of the forum again :wink:

Thats great, lets hope it attracts more people for a renewed discussion of the prestige of Oxford colleges then.
I think Christ Church from what I've heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats great, lets hope it attracts more people for a renewed discussion of the prestige of Oxford colleges then.

It's an incredibly pointless question - so lets hope not!
Original post by Alexander
It's quite clearly Magdalen and Christ Church for Oxford.

Although it's a funny thing. John's (Cambridge) is rich with nice buildings, but always does mediocrely academically.

It is odd but at the end of the day the connections you can make in St Johns make up for the difference.
1. All Souls
2. ChCh
3. Magd
4. Worc (most applied to, actually)
5. John's
6. Brasenose
7. Balliol
8. Nuffield
9. Teddy
10. Univ

Then I don't think there's much difference with all the other ones.
I would say for Oxford, Christ Church, Corpus Christi, Balliol and Magdalen are the most prestigious (by title). And at Cambridge, as someone brought that up, it is very clearly Trinity.

Ed Miliband went there.
All Souls.

You're welcome.
Original post by joth
Merton, definitely: best academically for seven years running, beautiful buildings in the centre of town, the oldest college (no matter what Balliol say), and despite the rumours, a great social life whatever you're looking for.
Most prestigious, and the best generally.

What do you mean by 'seven years running' when topped the table only three times in the last seven years?

1-4-14-1-3-2-1
Original post by cpchem
Who have LMH got, then?

Michael Gove
Original post by ivybridge
I would say for Oxford, Christ Church, Corpus Christi, Balliol and Magdalen are the most prestigious (by title). And at Cambridge, as someone brought that up, it is very clearly Trinity.

What about application stastistics do they follow the same pattern.
Original post by bobbybob12
What about application stastistics do they follow the same pattern.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/media/global/wwwoxacuk/localsites/gazette/documents/statisticalinformation/admissionsstatistics/Admissions_Statistics_2013.pdf

Oxford used to have a table that allowed you to sort applications by college and subject (per year or cumulatively) but I can't seem to find it online any more (or rather, access seems to be denied: https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-admissions-statistics/college-success-rates.

In any case, to answer your question, the most popular colleges for 2011-2013 were Brasenose and Worcester (looking solely at number of applicants to intake size). Magdalen and Balliol are both pretty popular as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending