The Student Room Group

Film Portfolio

Scroll to see replies

just wondering if anyone could tell me what you mean by an 'essay on film' cheers:smile:
Born Frustrated
just wondering if anyone could tell me what you mean by an 'essay on film' cheers:smile:

I presume you set yourself a challenging analytical question and then answer it, using all the glamorous media language knowledge you have... :rolleyes:
TimInTheNorth
I presume you set yourself a challenging analytical question and then answer it, using all the glamorous media language knowledge you have... :rolleyes:

Thankyou, I assumed so. Just wanted to check in case it was some bizare thing that I didn't know/ have lol :smile:
Reply 63
Born Frustrated

any examples of the questions you could set yourself?
Could really do anything. For example:

'An Essay on the direction of Pulp Fiction'
'The Anti-hero: An analysis of the character in world cinema'
'Spielberg: The Similiarites and differences in themes throughout his filmography'

etc etc
Reply 65
spacecowboy_89
Could really do anything. For example:

'An Essay on the direction of Pulp Fiction'
'The Anti-hero: An analysis of the character in world cinema'
'Spielberg: The Similiarites and differences in themes throughout his filmography'

etc etc

why tharnk you :smile:
I have a question, I was looking at page two of this thread where an example script was provided, it was basically an idea for a Doctor Who episode. Would the University(s) mind if I wrote a sample script for an exisiting show/story or should I come up with my own, entirely original idea?
Reply 67
TimInTheNorth
I have a question, I was looking at page two of this thread where an example script was provided, it was basically an idea for a Doctor Who episode. Would the University(s) mind if I wrote a sample script for an exisiting show/story or should I come up with my own, entirely original idea?

The universities won't mind either. Your own idea can show your creativity as an individual, but using an existing format shows how you can adapt something that already works without taking away the necessary elements. More importantly, BOTH demonstrate your style and ability to create plot/characters.
I was wondering if anyone could help me (again).

In a film portfolio, is it frowned upon or acceptable to use a page stating a title of what is to follow? Here is an example of what I mean.

A4 page with heading: Reviews There is a sub-heading with "The Usual Suspects", followed by an image of the film underneath. Under that, in the centre of the A4 page, is another sub-heading with "The Godfather" and an image of the film underneath that. Under that is another subheading for a film and the image from it.

So it looks like the following:

Reviews

The Usual Suspects
[IMAGE OF THE FILM]

The Godfather
[IMAGE OF THE FILM]

There Will Be Blood
[IMAGE OF THE FILM]

So is it worth using an A4 page to, essentially, state what follows in the portfolio are some reviews? Or should I just bunch it all in together without distinguishing its sections?
Reply 69
Your way sounds great. Remember that there's no specific way to make your portfolio - you just need to show your creativity - and something like that will make your portfolio easier to read, so it's a good idea.
Oh cool. Thanks for the help. :biggrin:
Reply 71
Hi, wonder if anyone could help me with my portfolio, I've got a load of GCSE art work and was wondering if any of it would be relavant.
S
Reply 72
saltey
Hi, wonder if anyone could help me with my portfolio, I've got a load of GCSE art work and was wondering if any of it would be relavant.
S

It would, yeah. Put one or two of your favourite pieces in - try and vary them as well. :smile:
Reply 73
(thanks for replying so quickly :smile:)
I've got my 2 best pieces, should I add the sketch books that go with them or not?
Also is work on a pen drive appropriate or do they preffer stuff on cd's?
Reply 74
saltey
(thanks for replying so quickly :smile:)
I've got my 2 best pieces, should I add the sketch books that go with them or not?
Also is work on a pen drive appropriate or do they preffer stuff on cd's?

I wouldn't include the sketch books if I were you - just the individual and complete pieces. Similarly, try and get your work onto CDs if you can - it's a more professional look, and you want to make things as easy as possible for the admissions officers.
Reply 75
on my film studies course we dont produce a film...

so do you have to have on in your portfolio

becuase i havent made one :s-smilie:

ive done a script + storyboards, stuff like that, but i dont know.

also. what kind of photographs do you have to include?

Reply 76
teukiechul
on my film studies course we dont produce a film...

so do you have to have on in your portfolio

becuase i havent made one :s-smilie:

ive done a script + storyboards, stuff like that, but i dont know.

also. what kind of photographs do you have to include?

There's nothing you specifically need to include, no; so if you don't have a film, don't worry. Scripts and storyboards are great, and photograph-wise there's nothing specific - just any landscapes, portraits and artistic shots that show your creativity/talent.
Reply 77
ooohh, thats all good then :biggrin:

thank you :smile:
Reply 78
ooooh sorry,
i have another question

how long do the interviews usually take?
Reply 79
teukiechul
ooooh sorry,
i have another question

how long do the interviews usually take?

The ones I did generally took 20 mins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending