The Student Room Group

Deferring while on "gap year"

I'm a little hesitant to ask anything here, given the amount of misinformation this board seems to garner, but:

Does anyone have any experience of deferring while already on a gap year?

I'm applying for uni for 2009 entry. I'm on a "gap year" (I prefer to think of it as "getting on with life" rather than implying that not being in education isn't a valid way of spending your time). I'm also applying for a few other things for next year. They aren't related to what I'm going to study, but they are opportunities that may not arise again or be viable after I graduate. If anything comes of them (I won't know until March/April, maybe), I would be looking to defer entry to 2010 (much easier than having to apply again next year). Are unis generally ok with this or would they be all "blabla lack of commitment blabla" (particularly as I've already applied to them twice before but couldn't go)? It's not like I'd be going for a year-long booze up on Koh Phangan or anything - I'd be doing worthwhile and virtuous type things. Also, having another year before uni would reduce the chance of me cracking halfway through my degree and fleeing the country (the thought of having to live in the UK for three consecutive years is quite terrifying).
Reply 1
Someone I met at Imperial the other day took 2 gap years, and well...Imperial seem to be fine with it. I think as long as your gap years are worthwhile and you gain experience/money/whatever then unis wont really mind.
Reply 2
It's not so much that I think they'll mind me having two gap years (it's not as though they'd treat a 30 year old applicant as having had 12 gap years, is it?), as whether they would let me defer or not.
One of my friends took two gap years, and now he's at Cardiff. They actually liked the fact that he'd taken the time out, especially as he was in Thailand travelling and doing some work too.
As long as you can show that you're not just dossing about, I think they'll be fine with it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending