The Student Room Group

UCL psychology unsuccessful offer?!?!?!

I have the exact predicted grades already for psychology undergraduate at ucl. I am currently taking a gap year, so the grades r already under my belt. Sent my application off, got offers from all of my other unis except ucl, which didnt even give me a stupid interview!!!!! wtf? I dont understand it, i have the grades they want, i showed enthusiasm in my ps, and i didnt get into the one i actually wanted! the main thing that annoys me is that i didnt even get the chance to prove myself in an intervew.... grrrr!

all i got was 'unsuccessful'.

And ive phoned up just to ask what let me down in my ucas application just out of curiousity, but they cannot find anyone to help me? (even though i have the right to know what let me down) arrrghhh

(sorry im having a rant)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
jeez that sucks. Any specific subjects they might of wanted?
what was the subjects you took?
Reply 2
Unsuccessful decision, not unsuccessful offer.

Ring them again until you get some satisfactory feedback.
Reply 3
if you say you had the right grades, then it woulda been either your PS that let you down or the course was already full....
Reply 4
they wanted a science based subject, i took human biology, psychology, economics AND art for a-level (4 subjects!) they said human bio and psych are classified as science based subjects
Reply 5
Unlucky...Ask them for feedback
It's UCL, they often make random decisions.
Reply 7
You say your PS "showed enthusiasm" but 1. it may not have done, 2. showing your enthusiasm might not have been enough...

Also, what were your GCSE's - that might of let you down, and your reference.
Reply 8
My friend was in the same situation last year. She contacted them to find out why she was unsuccessful and they didn't give her any feed back, I think they said that they didn't give out information about the why applications are or aren't successful.
Reply 9
A Stranger in Moscow
It's UCL, they often make random decisions.

This is actually very, very true...

I reckon it was the PS then if you have the grades, but there is something strange there. I also took a gap year yet was one of the last people to get my offer!

Sorry about your unsuccessful though OP, hope you get on well with your other choices.
UCL supposedly has a lot of good applicants this year, so of course they're going to have to reject even the best candidates.
I also wouldn't think that Art, Human Biology, Economics and Psychology is the strongest set of subjects that you can do, they may have preferred someone with say Biology, Maths, Psychology and History.

Erg, that was such a TSR thing to say.
They do give out a lot of rejections - it would take a long time to give individual feedback on every unsuccessful candidate. Having the grades is no guarantee anyway
Reply 13
A Stranger in Moscow
I also wouldn't think that Art, Human Biology, Economics and Psychology is the strongest set of subjects that you can do, they may have preferred someone with say Biology, Maths, Psychology and History.

Erg, that was such a TSR thing to say.

Economics is regarded as a tough subject. :yep:

I personally think Art and Human Biology may have let you down. Perhaps you normal Biology and another traditional science subject (chemistry or physics) would have given you a better chance.
The simple fact is that they had better applicants than you.

(Not intended in a mean way)
shyamp
Economics is regarded as a tough subject. :yep:

I personally think Art and Human Biology may have let you down. Perhaps you normal Biology and another traditional science subject (chemistry or physics) would have given you a better chance.

Not as tough as Maths, though!
Kimboshorne
they wanted a science based subject, i took human biology, psychology, economics AND art for a-level (4 subjects!) they said human bio and psych are classified as science based subjects

thats pretty harsh

so you allready had the required grades. (i dont quite get what you mean when you say ive got the predicted grades - if you are on a gp year surely you have allready done them? - if its resits that might be why). but thats really unlucky
Move on...
Reply 18
Unlucky but it happens to everyone I guess... Just keep looking forward...
Don't worry about it - UCL are rejecting lots of very good candidates this year.

UCL recently ranked very highly in the league tables, (7th in the world and 4th in the country) so all the really good candidates started applying - but they literally don't have that many places on their courses.

I know 3 people who each got rejected for Economics, even though they all had 11A*s at GCSE, and at least 3A's at AS :s-smilie:

Sometimes it's just about getting lucky...

Latest