The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey that's a decent peom -- don't diss Pope.
Reply 21
anycon
Hey that's a decent peom -- don't diss Pope.

It's just my opinion. Personally I hate the damn thing!
Currently wading through my English Lit coursework, the first "what the hell have I done?" thoughts have come into my head.

But I don't like analysing novels and that's what I'm doing, so...eh.
I've had a few doubts, because I was split between Maths, English, and Spanish when I was deciding, and every now and then I worry when I can't get on with a poem, or an essay.... but I still think I've made the right decision. Even if it isn't, at the end of it all, it'll only have been 3 years and they certainly won't have been wasted At the moment, I'm quite happy, but I'm sure there are still going to be plenty of times where I'll be overcome by fear....it's just part of the process, I think. Certainly seems that way...

Either way, the fact you chose the subject says something that you can cling to when you're drowning in worries. That's the way I see it, any way... :p:
Reply 24
silence
older literature is better, in my opinion. well, not in terms of quality necessarily, but it shows you what today's stuff, and anything published at the same time or after it in fact, is based on or influenced by. for example i was just looking at book 1 canto 4 of the faerie queene and the way in which it talks about the 6 deadly sins is somewhat similar to that shown in dr faustus (although there are 7 there), and the dating of the two works are very very close indeed i think.

anyway, i've had to have a look at margret atwood's "handmaid's tail" for the satirical element of the a2 course and it serves to remind my why i only bother these days with pre 1640 material for reading in my spare time.

basically, i just wanted to say that older literature rules.

Is it really fair or intelligent to dismiss contemporary literature based one one novel? Perhaps if you read more widely around other genres you'd enjoy them more, and appreciate that post 1640 literature is worth reading!

Back to the original thread title! I know what you mean about doubts, but they're always just passing thoughts with me; I don't think I could really see myself studying anything else at uni, and I really love English. When I'm a bit daunted I always find that extra and critical reading around whatever I'm studying helps. It helps to firm up ideas, and generally be more certain in forming your own opinions. :smile:
I agree with Rose64 - you shouldn't base your opinion of contemporary literature on one novel, especially one that you disliked (though personally, as a big fan of Margaret Atwood and especially The Handmaid's Tale, I don't understand how you could dislike it).

I really love English, I just prefer studying poetry and drama to novels. Thankfully I'm not required to do novels too much ^_^
fasterpurple
I agree with Rose64 - you shouldn't base your opinion of contemporary literature on one novel, especially one that you disliked (though personally, as a big fan of Margaret Atwood and especially The Handmaid's Tale, I don't understand how you could dislike it).

I really love English, I just prefer studying poetry and drama to novels. Thankfully I'm not required to do novels too much ^_^

Wow- that's quite an unusual view. Generally people have a dislike for poetry [which I personally think is literary ecstacy- its like a novel condensed into a sheet for pure unadulerated analysis] or drama, or to be more precise Shakespeare. I personally dislike analysing drama from an English perspective because it is only the half the story, so to speak- a play is meant to be performed, and scripts are always so bland.
Reply 27
quote: i only bother these days with pre 1640 material for reading in my spare time.

um- thats a wee bit narrow minded! you're missing out on a lot of enjoyable reading! (i'm not knocking older literature, in fact am studying old english at uni)
if you're basing your preferences just on the handmaids tale, why not ask your a-level teacher for some reccomendations?
How about (just for starters)
Italo Calvino Invisible cities,
Umberto Eco Name of the Rose,
Salman Rushdie Midnight's Children
Eliot Middlemarch
all excellent, interesting, mind bending.
tomcoolinguk
Wow- that's quite an unusual view. Generally people have a dislike for poetry [which I personally think is literary ecstacy- its like a novel condensed into a sheet for pure unadulerated analysis] or drama, or to be more precise Shakespeare. I personally dislike analysing drama from an English perspective because it is only the half the story, so to speak- a play is meant to be performed, and scripts are always so bland.

I emphatically agree with your definition of poetry :smile:

I think, however, that it is possible to analyse drama from a literary perspective in a performance context. I study drama now and hope to go into it as a career, and the two definitely cross over. Granted, it is difficult to get up and start acting it, but literary study of theatrical texts is enhanced by the performance perspective. If you simply read Shakespeare, i.e. cover-to-cover, you may miss some of the meaning that comes across in performance, and the many possible meanings that can be derived. Reading the play aloud with character enhances understanding and is, I believe, entirely possible as part of a literary study - you don't have to go the whole way to acting it out, just a little would do :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending