The Student Room Group

Projectile motion

I'm doing the planning section for a piece of AS practise coursework. I am going to investigate how the height at which the marble is launched along a ski jump affects the horizontal distance travelled. As well as recording the height and distance, should I record the time it takes for the marble to reach the ground, in order to calculate the velocity for analysis?

Also, does anybody have any ideas of safety issues which need to be be considered for this experiment?
Reply 1
Safety glasses in case the marble hits your eye? :s

These safety sections are so patronising at AS and GCSE.
Reply 2
Good choice of experiment - I basically did exactly the same one! ( i used a car and a hot wheels track)

I used a light gate to get the velocity...easier and much more precise, however as you are using a marble, unless you can get the positioning exact, time is a pretty sensible measurement.

As for safety, what about a screen at the end of the pit, to prevent it bouncing and hitting people/things. Thats basically it, and specs are a good idea...just basic projectile common sense.

You just need to show that safety was considered, even if there arent many things you can do.

Hope thats helpful
ToriWS
Good choice of experiment - I basically did exactly the same one! ( i used a car and a hot wheels track)

I used a light gate to get the velocity...easier and much more precise, however as you are using a marble, unless you can get the positioning exact, time is a pretty sensible measurement.

As for safety, what about a screen at the end of the pit, to prevent it bouncing and hitting people/things. Thats basically it, and specs are a good idea...just basic projectile common sense.

You just need to show that safety was considered, even if there arent many things you can do.

Hope thats helpful

Is a timer accurate enough for the experiment, as the marble doesn't work well with the light gate, or should I just use an equation to work out the velocity?
Reply 4
Yeah, just using a timer should be okay, and then work out the velocity from that. Basically doing exactly what the light gate does. Also there you have a source of error to explain any possible anomalies.

Latest