The Student Room Group
Ring them up and tell them of your dilemma; they might be able to make alternative arrangements.
Reply 2
Yeh, ring em.
Reply 3
will they be that understanding - after all they didnt have to give me an interview in the first place
Chantal1991
will they be that understanding - after all they didnt have to give me an interview in the first place

Give them a ring, they might be able to help you. They offered you an interview for a reason! They can either move back the interview, or maybe help out with costs. Would your school/college be able to help you at all, either?
Reply 5
haha no. my college SUCK.

they wont help with anything!
Reply 6
Chantal1991
haha no. my college SUCK.

they wont help with anything!

Have you asked? A bit of me is thinking they are obliged to help out students if they cannot afford to attend an interview.
Reply 7
They probably won't force you to go at such short notice if you point out how much it costs. But the only way to find out is to ask them, preferably by phone.
Reply 8
Yeah, definitely phone them. They might be able to help out with costs, they may be able to put the interview date back, but they should understand :smile:
Reply 9
Book a coach.
Reply 10
Yes a coach is a good idea, although its 11 hours I can cope with that but there isnt one back, which again leaves me with the problem of getting home. YIPEE. lol

Isn't this fun :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Chantal1991

Of course they will. They probably said when they gave you the date that if it's not suitable to let them know?

£200 for a train journey though? Ouch. Do you have no one who can drive you? I don't think there is anywhere in Britain that I could drive to and back for a £200 fuel bill.
Reply 12
drive? ha. I was only 17 in augast so I cant drive, my mum doesnt drive and my dad lives in glasgow for the moment. I know it sounda like im making problems but driving isnt an option :s-smilie: I think ill just ring them
There are coaches from Preston to Portsmouth on the National Express site, if that helps :smile:
Reply 14
Chantal1991
drive? ha. I was only 17 in augast so I cant drive, my mum doesnt drive and my dad lives in glasgow for the moment. I know it sounda like im making problems but driving isnt an option :s-smilie: I think ill just ring them

Yes, you should definitely do that. No university can reasonably expect you to pay that amount of money just to attend an interview, even if you do want to go there quite badly.
But do you really not know a single person who owns a car and who might be willing to drive you in exchange for £50 and/or a couple of drinks?
Reply 15
200 pounds?! is that with a railcard? if not it may be cheaper to buy a railcard and the ticket.ive just checked with a railcard theres one for 57pounds. so that would be 80 pounds for the ticket and railcard. the railcard is valid for a year which may be helpful for other interviews.
Reply 16
Hm, make sure your checking the right prices. My lodger lives in Portsmouth, and we live very near Preston, and it only normally costs him about £90, and most of them tickets are bought on the day.

Your college will help you out as well, they have to. You have to ask though!
Reply 17
22KT22
200 pounds?! is that with a railcard? if not it may be cheaper to buy a railcard and the ticket.ive just checked with a railcard theres one for 57pounds. so that would be 80 pounds for the ticket and railcard. the railcard is valid for a year which may be helpful for other interviews.

thanks - this is a good idea. I think I might look into doing it this way as you quite rightly stated the railcard will help me out with getting to other university interviews
Reply 18
Chantal1991
thanks - this is a good idea. I think I might look into doing it this way as you quite rightly stated the railcard will help me out with getting to other university interviews

Yeah i thought 200pounds was way too much for a railcard. i went to lancaster (from southampton) and it was only 80pounds max.
Reply 19
Ask the uni if they can help with travel costs and accommodation - some will. If you get EMA they may also be able to help with the costs. If neither of those help then ask the uni to change the date/time of interview.

Latest

Trending

Trending