The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

ajp100688
Cheers :biggrin: I'm a bit spoiled where I live right now as I live literally above the town center and it's tescos, but I suppose I'll be able to adapt to walking 10 mins down the road!

You can always arrange Tescos Home Delivery with your flatmates - I think it's £50 order minimum for the free delivery, quite easy target to reach between 5 or so people.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 221
Dynamitri
You can always arrange Tescos Home Delivery with your flatmates - I think it's £50 order minimum for the free delivery, quite easy target to reach between 5 or so people.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! :biggrin:

I never thought of that for some reason.
ajp100688
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! :biggrin:

I never thought of that for some reason.

It's a really cool option, I have never done this before but looking forward to it. I know that Sainsbury's do that as well, probably for similar money, and I'm sure most of the major retailers have similar services on offer.

What I've just heard is that there's a risk of them putting another product of the same kind/similar value, should the one requested be found not available at the moment - let's say you want Heinz Beans, they might give you Tesco Value or something. You're obviously entitled to not accepting that, but at the end of the day that would have made you being left without the food you intended on getting.

That's just what someone else told me the other day, though, and I've got no idea how often does it happen (if at all), tbh.
Reply 223
Just wondering how strict Drapers are on ID? are they pretty lax with it being a student union or they are ID Nazis?

I lost my ID nearly a week ago now, and just have an out of date passport (went out of date a couple months ago) with an ancient photo of me on it as ID and it's been a bugger to get into anywhere down town, some places let me in without ID, others ask for the ID and they're fine with it and one wouldn't let me in full stop, although oddly that was a Wetherspoons and I easily got into a nightclub...but still!

I've sent away for another ID and paid through the nose for it, but I'm not sure whether it'll get to me by next Saturday (worst case scenario I'll have it by the Tuesday/Wednesday after once it's sent onto me from home) so I'm facing the prospects of half of freshers week without being able to go to any of the events if they refuse my ID :frown:
Reply 224
Just wondering how much space each person tends to get in the freezer..

And do you get any oven trays/casserole dishes in the oven or do you have to supply your own?
Reply 225
If i get a freshers pass now, can i pick it up there?
Reply 226
Ozzy91
Just wondering how much space each person tends to get in the freezer..

And do you get any oven trays/casserole dishes in the oven or do you have to supply your own?

You get one drawer in the freezer which is more than enough and no you don't get anything in the oven.
ajp100688
Just wondering how strict Drapers are on ID? are they pretty lax with it being a student union or they are ID Nazis?

I lost my ID nearly a week ago now, and just have an out of date passport (went out of date a couple months ago) with an ancient photo of me on it as ID and it's been a bugger to get into anywhere down town, some places let me in without ID, others ask for the ID and they're fine with it and one wouldn't let me in full stop, although oddly that was a Wetherspoons and I easily got into a nightclub...but still!

I've sent away for another ID and paid through the nose for it, but I'm not sure whether it'll get to me by next Saturday (worst case scenario I'll have it by the Tuesday/Wednesday after once it's sent onto me from home) so I'm facing the prospects of half of freshers week without being able to go to any of the events if they refuse my ID :frown:

Well, if you get your Student ID, that is enough to get you in. You won't have that on the first few days, but you should be able to get a fresher's wristband - but you'll need some form of ID to get that (Passport?) and then it'll be worth asking them if they're going to need ID at Drapers.

It's harder for me to answer this because my Freshers' Week wasn't at Drapers.
what are good places to get lunch near QM? by good i mean healthy and reasonably priced :yep:
Reply 229
Hi,

I'm looking for somebody who has done the Science and Engineering Programme (SEFP) at QMUL.

I'd like to do SEFP next year and my curriculum should comprise the following courses:

1) SEF001 MATHEMATICS I
2) SEF002 MATHEMATICS II
3) SEF003 INTRODUCTORY CHEMISTRY
4) SEF004 A CLOSER LOOK AT CHEMISTRY
5) SEF005 PHYSICS - MECHANICS AND MATERIALS
6) SEF006 PHYSICS - FIELDS AND WAVES
7) SEF007 PHYSICS - ELECTRICITY AND ATOMIC PHYSICS
8) SEF030 COMMUNICATION IN SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY

I'm worrying most about class size, teaching quality and the level of exam difficulty.

What is the average class size in the courses named above? Are they huge so the instructor-student contact is minimised, is there enough time for getting the stuff explained adequately (I’m not so clever!!), are there only lectures and tutorials or also labs?

Are the instructors fair with grading, well qualified for teaching (didactics / pedagogics)? Are they college teachers or part of the university staff?

How hard is it to get an A in the finals? Has every course its final exam at the end of the year or at the end of the semester during which it was taught? Are their reviews before the exam period in each subject or in the summer holidays if a student has to re-sit the final?

How many weeks of instructions are there? How many weeks has the exam period?

You see, I’m worrying most about academics, less about pastime activities. But academics is what troubles me most at this time. :wink:

Thanks so much for every bit of advice!

Markus
Are citizen cards accepted in clubs?
Reply 231
Sweet_poison
Are citizen cards accepted in clubs?

Depends on the club, from my reading on these forums Fabric and Ministry of Sound have no problems with them.
Reply 232
Soooo can i pick up a freshers pass if i pay for one now?
are we allowed to bring mini fridges??
Reply 234
Destiny2006
are we allowed to bring mini fridges??

i think we get one in our rooms :biggrin:
chigz32
i think we get one in our rooms :biggrin:

I think only one halls get 'em, and I'm pretty sure it's not France House :s

Correct me if I'm wrong, tho :biggrin:
Is there a lot of emo-girls @QMUL? :teeth:
Reply 237
D'ohhh, thats another thing on my never ending list of things to get...
chigz32
D'ohhh, thats another thing on my never ending list of things to get...

a fridge?

I'm considering getting one, just to have my supply of American Dr Pepper at an arm's reach :awesome:
Reply 239
Dynamitri
a fridge?

I'm considering getting one, just to have my supply of American Dr Pepper at an arm's reach :awesome:

It'll be my Magners/Bulmers for me! Nothing like a bit of cider to pass the time :cool: :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending