The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

Hello there!

How easy is it the transfer course in the first year? (eg. From Economics, Statistics and Mathematics, to just Economics BSc)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 21
TheNihilist
Hello there!

How easy is it the transfer course in the first year? (eg. From Economics, Statistics and Mathematics, to just Economics BSc)

This depends on the department, and the amount of students for each course. I know people that changed course from English and Drama to just English or Drama with little fuss within the first 3 weeks - and some that changed courses completely from Drama to Politics.

Some people I know also changed from English and Drama to just English at the end of the first year.

But, I don't want to make promises, it depends on the spaces available in the courses.
1st years - two weeks into terms you can change, but you need to be super quick about transferring.

2nd year onwards - I think this depends on you securing a 2.1 in your previous subject and having studied 'similar(ish)' courses to transfer to another, so you're competent to do the course you wish to transfer to.
Reply 23
Mr.Mortell I shall be on the look out for you tomrrow! :biggrin:
Just a random question!

Are your end of year exam results posted on WebCt? Or do you have to come in and get them? When are they usually posted?

All of my modules are double semester, so I will not know any results until then. I'm hoping to be on exchange in year two, but I'm wondering if I leave London at the start of June and travel for a bit, would I be able to access my grades on WebCT?

Many thanks :smile:

X
Reply 25
doingmybest
Just a random question!

Are your end of year exam results posted on WebCt? Or do you have to come in and get them? When are they usually posted?

All of my modules are double semester, so I will not know any results until then. I'm hoping to be on exchange in year two, but I'm wondering if I leave London at the start of June and travel for a bit, would I be able to access my grades on WebCT?

Many thanks :smile:

X

I know a few courses get their grades posted online, most either have to come into University on a set day to see whether they've "passed", and then to see their tutors to find out grades..you don't have to do this, and can just wait for a grade-slip to be sent to your home address...

Maybe ask your tutor for confirmation, also he/she could email it to you instead..if your nice enough to them:smile:
DeSiFiEd
I know a few courses get their grades posted online, most either have to come into University on a set day to see whether they've "passed", and then to see their tutors to find out grades..you don't have to do this, and can just wait for a grade-slip to be sent to your home address...

Maybe ask your tutor for confirmation, also he/she could email it to you instead..if your nice enough to them:smile:

Thank you for your reply :smile: Looks like I'll be sticking around longer than I thought. There's no way I'll have the patience to wait for a slip in the post :p: When I get time I shall go and ask in my department, or just email them.

Can anyone give me more info / their views about Comparative literature..what the course includes, how you find it etc????
Reply 28
Jennifer Wood
Can anyone give me more info / their views about Comparative literature..what the course includes, how you find it etc????

I don't do CL. But from what I've heard it is enjoyable and there are some nice course choices in the 2nd and 3rd year.
Reply 29
Is there anywhere to practice music? Like pianos to rent at all? As they're kinda hard to fit in your room! lol. What I'm asking is can you hire practice rooms for the piano at QM or do i need to bring my more portable one?
Reply 30
OoFaithoO
Is there anywhere to practice music? Like pianos to rent at all? As they're kinda hard to fit in your room! lol. What I'm asking is can you hire practice rooms for the piano at QM or do i need to bring my more portable one?

There is a piano in the music room but I've never been there nor know how to book it. I know there is a recording studio with some kind of piano in it, which can be booked through the drama department. There is also pianos in the rehearsal rooms...but booking them just for that is a little selfish.

I would bring your portable one just in case...it'll be more flexible as you can play it whenever.
Reply 31
Hello,
Been made an offer for IR Undergrad, was hoping to get some info from current student:
how many hours a week do u need for lectures / seminars ?
is it likely to spread over 3 or 4 days ?
what is a good average private study time ?

Would be grateful to get answers, trying to work out how I could keep my job 2 days/week to get ££.

Thanks.
H
Henry05
Hello,
Been made an offer for IR Undergrad, was hoping to get some info from current student:
how many hours a week do u need for lectures / seminars ?
is it likely to spread over 3 or 4 days ?
what is a good average private study time ?

Would be grateful to get answers, trying to work out how I could keep my job 2 days/week to get ££.

Thanks.
H

I study History here, not IR, so I can tell you what I have and maybe it'll be similar.

Teaching hours in my first year have been eight hours each week. This has been divided into one one hour lecture per module and one one hour seminar per module. All of my modules have run over two semesters, if you do single semester modules, it'll possibly be different.

Additional study time varies enormously. It depends on you as a person, how much reading you're expected to do/how much you want to do :wink: Personally, history involves soooo much reading, so I try and study everyday for at least four hours, usually way more. I've been working part time too. Suprisingly not many people do work in their first year, but I like the money and having independence from the uni as such. I worked fifteen hours per week. It was too much for me and I struggled. However, I think if I'd been able to knock it down to just two shifts each week, meaning ten hours, I would have coped much better.

Classes can be spread over however many days they need to, to be honest. Personally I have classes three days per week. But I know that this varies with friends who are studying other subjects. Having just chosen my second year modules, it looks like I'll be in four days :eek3: :frown:

I hope that this helps :smile:
Reply 33
Anyone tried changing courses after the first year ? it is possible. I'm resigned to getting rejected from LSE next week and don't really want to move up north (Leeds) so I think I'm going to take up QMUL on their offer. But I'm currently more attracted to the History and Politics degree than the IR degree I've been accepted to and was wondering whether it was possible to switch after a year, due to the generalised nature of the first year. I know LSE regularly lets people switch between degrees so long as they're related, but does QMUL ?
Reply 34
What's the music scene like at QMUL for live gigs and such? I'm an acousticy singer-songwritery person and I want to keep gigging when I'm down in London :]
Reply 35
ajp100688
Anyone tried changing courses after the first year ? it is possible. I'm resigned to getting rejected from LSE next week and don't really want to move up north (Leeds) so I think I'm going to take up QMUL on their offer. But I'm currently more attracted to the History and Politics degree than the IR degree I've been accepted to and was wondering whether it was possible to switch after a year, due to the generalised nature of the first year. I know LSE regularly lets people switch between degrees so long as they're related, but does QMUL ?

Yes, it is possible. It depends on the course, the numbers of students, etc. It would be something to discuss with your advisor when you get here.
Reply 36
paperbag
What's the music scene like at QMUL for live gigs and such? I'm an acousticy singer-songwritery person and I want to keep gigging when I'm down in London :]

There are many gigs in local pubs, but you might have to go out and look for yourself. There are music societies too that you could join.
paperbag

Apart from the music society. Brick lane is close bye, and there are a number of free gigs that played in pubs in that area. They like to encourage new talent, and so i would advise there and islington as well.
Reply 38
Mr. Mortell
Yes, it is possible. It depends on the course, the numbers of students, etc. It would be something to discuss with your advisor when you get here.

Excellent, thanks for the answer. You're fast establishing yourself as the QMUL guru around these parts :P
Reply 39
fungirl1234
Apart from the music society. Brick lane is close bye, and there are a number of free gigs that played in pubs in that area. They like to encourage new talent, and so i would advise there and islington as well.

Great thanks :]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending