The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Mr. Mortell
There are many gigs in local pubs, but you might have to go out and look for yourself. There are music societies too that you could join.

Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
paperbag
Great thanks :]

No worries :smile: good luck!
Reply 42
Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im currently sooo stuck on which halls of residence should be my choices. France has been unanimmously suggested as the best but U really dont know which should be my second choice...I heard Pooley is crap..But then again someone else says its really nice?? Feilden?? Creed??
ANY suggestions are welcome!!! HELP! (i think i have a couple of days to make up my mind) xxxx
Reply 43
damedame
Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im currently sooo stuck on which halls of residence should be my choices. France has been unanimmously suggested as the best but U really dont know which should be my second choice...I heard Pooley is crap..But then again someone else says its really nice?? Feilden?? Creed??
ANY suggestions are welcome!!! HELP! (i think i have a couple of days to make up my mind) xxxx

A couple of days? I haven't even been sent any accomodation stuff yet :s-smilie:
Reply 44
damedame
Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a former fresher, I highly recommend Feilden, Lindop, Pooley and France for social life. I was the first batch of students living in Feilden and it was absolutely awesome. In fact, I'm in my final year now and still hang out with my 'feilden gang' regularly....
Reply 45
Bapesta11
As a former fresher, I highly recommend Feilden, Lindop, Pooley and France for social life. I was the first batch of students living in Feilden and it was absolutely awesome. In fact, I'm in my final year now and still hang out with my 'feilden gang' regularly....

hey cheeers..really helps!
Reply 46
ckminter
A couple of days? I haven't even been sent any accomodation stuff yet :s-smilie:

Yeah I rung Queen Mary yesterday and they said everyone should get something in thier email in the next couple of days (they actually suggested from the 24th of April).....
Reply 47
Oh right, I better start researching too then!
Reply 48
Are there Jan exams for Law?
Abe1991
Are there Jan exams for Law?

Nope if you are a first year you will have some practice exams in december. These do not count towards your final grade. During your second and third year you only have exams in the summer, which do count.
Reply 50
Hi:-)
I was just wondering what a current student would advise from thier own persecitive
I want to get a TV for my potential room when I start in Sept but I was wondering if that was uneccesary and if everyone just watches the TV in the common rooms??? basically is it uncommon for people to have TVs in thier rooms??

Cheers :-)
damedame
Hi:-)
I was just wondering what a current student would advise from thier own persecitive
I want to get a TV for my potential room when I start in Sept but I was wondering if that was uneccesary and if everyone just watches the TV in the common rooms??? basically is it uncommon for people to have TVs in thier rooms??

Cheers :-)

Not all halls have common areas. I've been living in Creed Court this year. We do not have a common area. I think it's the shared bathroom places that do, but check that. A few people have TV's, but personally, I'd never have time to watch it! Plus the cost of a TV licence is heaps. If I ever want to catch something on TV, I usually log onto I-Player or something.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 52
doingmybest
Not all halls have common areas. I've been living in Creed Court this year. We do not have a common area. I think it's the shared bathroom places that do, but check that. A few people have TV's, but personally, I'd never have time to watch it! Plus the cost of a TV licence is heaps. If I ever want to catch something on TV, I usually log onto I-Player or something.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanx helps a lot. I didnt know some halls did not have common areas. :=)
Reply 53
damedame
Thanx helps a lot. I didnt know some halls did not have common areas. :=)

With iPlayer, ITV Player, and 4oD there is no need for a television with an expensive licence. Chances are you'll meet someone who has a TV, just use theirs! haha.
Reply 54
Does the language department do any courses for non language degree students ? I don't mean like as one of your outside options in the first year, but as a supplementry course like the LSE does.
ajp100688
Does the language department do any courses for non language degree students ? I don't mean like as one of your outside options in the first year, but as a supplementry course like the LSE does.

Do you mean a language course that is entirely separate to your degree?

If so, the answer is yes they do. I took Spanish this year for one evening per week. I could undertake assessments if I so wished and they were not credited to my degree, so I could do them for fun.

This link might be useful: http://www.languageandlearning.qmul.ac.uk/language/index.html

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 56
fungirl1234
Nope if you are a first year you will have some practice exams in december. These do not count towards your final grade. During your second and third year you only have exams in the summer, which do count.

Thank you. How many hours of lectures/seminars/tutorials do you have in first year?:smile:
For law at queen mary the seminars are weekly, so the 4 seminars a week and they come to 4 hours and then you have lectures which come to 5 hours. You have one day off which is wednesday. I would say that although that doesnt sound like may hours a lot of the work is done outside the classroom, as you will have a lot of cases to read, and since the seminars are weekly there is always one piece of seminar work need doing. hope that helps
Reply 58
doingmybest
Do you mean a language course that is entirely separate to your degree?

If so, the answer is yes they do. I took Spanish this year for one evening per week. I could undertake assessments if I so wished and they were not credited to my degree, so I could do them for fun.

This link might be useful: http://www.languageandlearning.qmul.ac.uk/language/index.html

Hope that helps :smile:

Thats exactly what I meant, cheers.
Hey, this may be a really stupid question but what are intercollegiate halls ??? thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending