Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trottoir
do gcses matter?

i got 1 A* 3 A's 4 B's 1 C

Not really, as long as you have got Cs in Maths and English.

Look at their website at the subject you want to do to see entry requirements :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 761
Any language students I can PM for info? :smile:
Also, how's life for gay students? Is there a lot of homophobia due to there being lots of international students?
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anybody know what floor flat 11 is on in Pooley House?
Reply 763
Original post by alouanimaha
are you serious??!
I only have my passports with me, as I've dropped my ID last week. My parents are in the UK for a little longer and so am I, so there's no way they'll be able to send me a birth certificate in time for the 17th when they get home. I have a photocopy of my ID card, but that's useless

Bad times. What can I say? I'm a bit worried about this myself given the amount of time that ID seems to come through... I'll be firing off an email their way to see if they have any answers. You'd have thought that they'd be able to confirm our identities through the student loans company or something.
Reply 764
Hi,
I was just wondering if it is possible to get in contact with a current History student as I need some advice on modules (reading lists, work load etc.) I am very interested in these: "An age of revolution: Europe 1750-1820" "Old Worlds, New Worlds: Europe 1400-1600" "Society and the state in Britain, 1450-1720" and "Europe since 1890", any advice on this combination would be very much appreciated!
Thanks, Melissa
Original post by Trottoir
do gcses matter?

i got 1 A* 3 A's 4 B's 1 C

I pretty much got those grades and I got an offer :smile: so I wouldn't worry as long as your a levels are up to scratch.
Reply 766
anyone shine some light on the gym facilities at qmotion. have heard some pretty weird things like your not allowed to use some of the weight lifting equipment without supervision and that some parts are only for rugby team??

Whats the atmosphere inside gym like during the day? when are its peak hours etc, thanks
Reply 767
Original post by mmayer1
Hi,
I was just wondering if it is possible to get in contact with a current History student as I need some advice on modules (reading lists, work load etc.) I am very interested in these: "An age of revolution: Europe 1750-1820" "Old Worlds, New Worlds: Europe 1400-1600" "Society and the state in Britain, 1450-1720" and "Europe since 1890", any advice on this combination would be very much appreciated!
Thanks, Melissa

All will be rather generalised and very shallow introductions into the topics. You basically rattle through the time period covering various major events and themes, one a week but never really going too in depth with them. I did 'Europe Since 1890' in my first year and it covered things like The Cold War, European Decolonisation, New Russia, the EU, the 1930s, the fall out of WW1 etc. Very useful for getting a grasp on historical epochs but you don't really do anything in detail in them, that's usually in the 2nd year.

America since 1900 (although it actually starts in 1898) is a very good module for first year aswell. The course organiser Prof. Mark White is an excellent lecturer, I just wish I'd dragged myself out of bed for more of his 9am lectures haha.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 768
What do most guys wear at Queen Mary's? And are there any official dress regulations or that sort of thing?
Reply 769
does anyone know what their timetable is like? eg for biology? how many hours a week etc
is anyone else doing aeronautical aerospace engineering?? there must be someone and i can't be looking all over these blogs for ever!! If there is anyone is i haven't done anything in my year out, on a scale of 1-10 how f@£*ed am i?x
Just wondering if there's full length mirrors in the rooms (particulary Beaumont)? It doesn't look like it from the website but I thought they might be inside the wardrobe or something.
Bit of a silly question I know, but I'll have to buy one to bring otherwise :tongue:
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Just wondering if there's full length mirrors in the rooms (particulary Beaumont)? It doesn't look like it from the website but I thought they might be inside the wardrobe or something.
Bit of a silly question I know, but I'll have to buy one to bring otherwise :tongue:

Yep, should be in the wardrobe :yy:
Original post by Democracy
Yep, should be in the wardrobe :yy:

Yay, thank you :biggrin:
i havent been to an open day so i havent seen the gym. do the womens gym have showers?
Reply 775
Original post by shining-starh
i havent been to an open day so i havent seen the gym. do the womens gym have showers?

Yep, the changing room opposite the ladies gym has showers. All cubicle showers as well.
Reply 776
Original post by Soloman
does anyone know what their timetable is like? eg for biology? how many hours a week etc

SBCS tend to take a VERY long time to get timetables up and what not. However, they should be ready for you just after enrolment. As a first year biology student, you will be in every single day of the week. You may get some days off in the week if you are lucky. You tend to have labs on Tuesdays and Wednesday afternoons so even if lectures aren't scheduled in, you have something to attend. Oh and don't be surprised if you have very long days e.g. 9am starts and 6pm finishes. Happened to me in first year on my first day, but I got a 5hour break! XD

But that doesn't mean you can't have fun. You can and do really well. It's like with everything else, you've got to work hard.
Original post by norg
SBCS tend to take a VERY long time to get timetables up and what not. However, they should be ready for you just after enrolment. As a first year biology student, you will be in every single day of the week. You may get some days off in the week if you are lucky. You tend to have labs on Tuesdays and Wednesday afternoons so even if lectures aren't scheduled in, you have something to attend. Oh and don't be surprised if you have very long days e.g. 9am starts and 6pm finishes. Happened to me in first year on my first day, but I got a 5hour break! XD

But that doesn't mean you can't have fun. You can and do really well. It's like with everything else, you've got to work hard.

Do SBCS have a reading week? :smile:
Reply 778
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Do SBCS have a reading week? :smile:

Yes. Week 7 every semester.
Original post by norg
Yes. Week 7 every semester.

Great, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending