The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

Does Ifor Evans have a laundry room? And if so, are the washing machines the type you get in laundrettes where you have to pay 20p?

Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by QueenOfHearts93
Does Ifor Evans have a laundry room? And if so, are the washing machines the type you get in laundrettes where you have to pay 20p?

Yes, but it'll be a lot more expensive than 20p :p: From what I remember the campus laundries charge £2 for a wash and 50p for the tumble dryer :yy;
Original post by Democracy
Yes, but it'll be a lot more expensive than 20p :p: From what I remember the campus laundries charge £2 for a wash and 50p for the tumble dryer :yy;

Ah yeh, I meant pay with 20ps, good old failing to type what you think :smile: And oh dear :s-smilie: Are they relatively big? Like can you get a good lot done for your £2? Also, do you have to pay with 20ps, or does it not matter what coins you use?

Plus, this is probably gonna sound stupid, but I've never used a laundrette style machine, only the ones you get in an actual house... Do they pretty much work the same as normal machines?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just suddenly hit me how soon I move in :biggrin:
Original post by QueenOfHearts93
Ah yeh, I meant pay with 20ps, good old failing to type what you think :smile: And oh dear :s-smilie: Are they relatively big? Like can you get a good lot done for your £2? Also, do you have to pay with 20ps, or does it not matter what coins you use?

Plus, this is probably gonna sound stupid, but I've never used a laundrette style machine, only the ones you get in an actual house... Do they pretty much work the same as normal machines?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just suddenly hit me how soon I move in :biggrin:

Yes, they're very big, and unless you have an immense amount of clothing everything should fit...sheets, covers and all. I think you can pay with all coins apart from coppers.

Yeah they're fairly similar to home washing machines. Put clothes in, add tablet/powder, insert money and away you go. Return in 50 minutes and transfer the clothes to the tumble dryer for another 50 minutes :p:
Original post by Democracy
Yes, they're very big, and unless you have an immense amount of clothing everything should fit...sheets, covers and all. I think you can pay with all coins apart from coppers.

Yeah they're fairly similar to home washing machines. Put clothes in, add tablet/powder, insert money and away you go. Return in 50 minutes and transfer the clothes to the tumble dryer for another 50 minutes :p:

Sounds good :smile: Thanks, I know it is probably an obvious question but I don't want to turn up and look like an idiot because I can't work the machines, but that sounds pretty basic :smile:

Thanks for your help :smile:
one quick question...
do we need usernames/id numbers/accounts to use the internet in halls?
just want to know if i can access the internet "right" after i move in:wink:
can't live without internet...lol
cheers!!
You normally do but for the first week or so it's open access because people won't have their IDs and passeords.

so yes, you can use it right after you move in.
Reply 787
And how is the internet connection working? I mean, is it wireless or cable? Do I need to bring an ethernet cable?
Reply 788
Original post by Criodi
And how is the internet connection working? I mean, is it wireless or cable? Do I need to bring an ethernet cable?

Cabled. You get a cable in your welcome pack though. It's also blazingly fast and has no restrictions on torrenting or things like Steam.
Original post by ajp100688
Cabled. You get a cable in your welcome pack though. It's also blazingly fast and has no restrictions on torrenting or things like Steam.

Does that apply to all halls? (I'm in Ifor Evans btw)
Definitely Student Village not sure about the older houses, it'll probably be the same though considering they all run off the same network.

Original post by Arturo Bandini
You normally do but for the first week or so it's open access because people won't have their IDs and passeords.

so yes, you can use it right after you move in.

huge relief! :wink:
thank u !!

Beautiful.
Reply 793
How important is the induction day? what info will be given out and will it be online? it looks like im going to miss it due to me being at work (have handed in my resignation letter but have to give 4 weeks notice). i will be able to attend enrollment as normal.
Reply 794
Do you know if the Comparative Politics lectures are always one hour long? Because I have other classes after soon after that from my outside module...
Reply 795
Or generally, can one-hour lectures take more than an hour?
Reply 796
Original post by ls123
Or generally, can one-hour lectures take more than an hour?

Very very rarely, just walk out if you have to go to seminars. We all have classes following on from one another.

i thought torrenting wasn't allowed :/
It's not but unless they've changed their system, they don't block any of the sites or p2p traffic.

they don't, but surely they'd notice if somebody was torrenting and can easily reprimand them
Original post by serrated_colon
they don't, but surely they'd notice if somebody was torrenting and can easily reprimand them

Somebody on here did mention recently that they'd been previously blocked because of torrenting and had to go to IT to get their account unblocked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending