Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me about the history course at QM? Been given an offer and went to the open day on Wednesday, was very impressed. Is it as good as it looks???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talkinghead1)
    Can anyone tell me about the history course at QM? Been given an offer and went to the open day on Wednesday, was very impressed. Is it as good as it looks???
    Yes it is aside from the fact you have to do snoozeworthy 'Making History' and Historiography classes in the first year but most universities make you do that rubbish. The choice of modules is excellent, the lecturers are excellent (one is actually presenting a series on the Crusades on BBC2 atm) and the department is well run.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am about to apply to Queen Mary (Cities, Economies and Social Change and/or History) as an international mature student. I have studied at an university level for 2 years and have had pretty strong grades (B+/A- average). I am quite worried about my high school records though - I went to a high school which is considered the best and toughest in the country, and it was science & maths-oriented, which meant I had dismal/average grades in most sciences (and excellent grades in humanities). My result at the final examinations (my country's equivalent to A-levels) was:
    AAA ... and D in Maths.
    I know the AAB/ABB is the minimal requirement for pretty much all the programs. As I am not really familiar with the British a-level/university system, I'd like to ask someone, anyone:
    - would QM, or the department I am applying to (social sciences / geography) really care about / take into consideration my h.school Maths grade? Surely my college work, plus high school grades in relevant subjects, should be much more important? (*fingers crossed*)
    - Should I send a brief explanation of my country's school system along with the high school transcript I am sending to QM? just to provide some context. A D looks horrible on a final exam certificate, but it would be quite tragic if it becomes a ground for refusal, because a) Maths is irrelevant to what i am about to study at QM and b) maths was studied at an incredibly high level at my high school and it was a cumpolsary subject for the final exams.
    I would greatly appreciate an informed opinion! Thank you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feverrobotics)
    Pros:
    I personally see almost everything about living in London as a pro. You live in one of the most vibrant cities in the world. After lectures you can hop on a tube and be in central in 10 minutes. The world is literally, your oyster (I sound like a bad advert but bear with me.)

Living in Mile End is cheaper than you would think for London. You may hear about the posh location of UCL but most second years move to places like Mile End or Bow in their second year anyway.

Queen Mary is near some of the more arty places in London such as Brick Lane (half an hour walk up the road), Shoreditch etc. You cannot be bored here!

Cons:
    I suppose, the expense. But I've lived here about 2 months and I haven't felt the sting of London prices. The main things that will affect you is accommodation (though relatively cheap if you get halls) and going out, but other than that transport is very reasonable, there are plenty of things you can do for free, and there is a Sainsburys up the road if you'd rather have basics than high cuisine.

The 'roughness' of the area. Again, not really an issue. As with any city, you would avoid walking alone at night but the area, though not the prettiest, is completely fine. Dixie Chicken is a wonderful institution too. It just gets a bad reputation because people think central London streets are paved with gold and people are surprised at the difference in Mile End.
    Oh yes, Dixie Chicken has the highest of quality fried chicken in the whole of London!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody do a modern language and linguistics degree? Or just a modern language? I have an offer for Hispanic Studies and Linguistics and am thinking about firming, but I have a few questions.

Because I was told that in most modules books will be read in translation, not in the original language. Do a lot of students (who are good enough in the language) read the works in the original language instead of in translation?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loeszie.)
    Does anybody do a modern language and linguistics degree? Or just a modern language? I have an offer for Hispanic Studies and Linguistics and am thinking about firming, but I have a few questions.

Because I was told that in most modules books will be read in translation, not in the original language. Do a lot of students (who are good enough in the language) read the works in the original language instead of in translation?
    Hi, I'm a second year French and Comp Lit student.

If I'm doing a module from the French department or in your case Hispanics, the texts will ALWAYS be studied in the original language.
    However, if you are studying a text from the Comp Lit dept (for example) and you have knowledge of the original language, you will always be encouraged to read the text in the language you know. a large number of people on my courses know multiple languages, so many people do this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    Hi, I'm a second year French and Comp Lit student.

If I'm doing a module from the French department or in your case Hispanics, the texts will ALWAYS be studied in the original language.
    However, if you are studying a text from the Comp Lit dept (for example) and you have knowledge of the original language, you will always be encouraged to read the text in the language you know. a large number of people on my courses know multiple languages, so many people do this.
    Thank you for your quick answer!
    I would like to to study the works in Spanish but was told by the clerical assistant of the SLLF that the works are often studied in translation to make the modules accesible for ab initio students. Can French be taken ab initio as well? Because otherwise there might be a difference between Hispanic Studies and French.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would like to to study the works in Spanish but was told by the clerical assistant of the SLLF that the works are often studied in translation to make the modules accesible for ab initio students. Can French be taken ab initio as well? Because otherwise there might be a difference between Hispanic Studies and French.
    Ah. I don't think French can be done ab initio or if it can be, I've never encountered anyone doing it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How good is QM at Computer Science Dept? As Ive got an offer for MSc Software Engineering and MSc computer Science. Please response! anyone!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    in short... which accommodation should i choose?! soooo many choices!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azza919)
    in short... which accommodation should i choose?! soooo many choices!
    You don't choose a specific building, you rank the type of room that you want, so en suite premium/standard/economy etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If anybody knows how 'a week in the life of a QMUL History and Politics student' would be like, could you please let me know? Thank you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are people really segregated at QM?
    Like, do the Black people hang out with other Black people, the South Asians with the South Asians, the White folks with the White? Usually people get offended when I ask this question (?) my intentions are good though. Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D0LLxo)
    Like, do the Black people hang out with other Black people, the South Asians with the South Asians, the White folks with the White? Usually people get offended when I ask this question (?) my intentions are good though. Thanks
    not at all... i'd say?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can do French as an ab initio degree because they require A-level French (I tried applying in September through clearing and they were really strict about it)- but I'm pretty sure you can learn French in the Language Learning Unit but you might have to pay additional, or you can chose Introductory French as a optional module. I think one of the only languages you can take at a ab initio language is German.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D0LLxo)
    Yes you do get some segregation. From my observation, I do usually see only south Asians hanging around with south Asians etc. But not everyone though!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Is anyone doing a Masters in Telecommunication Systems?? How is the work load? Do you have free time to go around London and enjoy what it has to offer?

Would appreciate it if people who are doing any type of Masters could reply not just in computing.

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edit. nevermind
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim147)
    Hi,

Is anyone doing a Masters in Telecommunication Systems?? How is the work load? Do you have free time to go around London and enjoy what it has to offer?

Would appreciate it if people who are doing any type of Masters could reply not just in computing.

Thanks
    i know someone who's doing telecommunications, don't know if it's the same as what you'll be doing.
    I'd say she seems quite relaxed, definitely had time to go around a little bit. But the workload towards the end of 2ed term is quite a lot.... reports and exams, but you'll get through :P Good luck!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    im an international ug student wanting to apply for twin rooms. in the application it says basic twin rooom which is 175 pounds. is the rent per person or room. also do they provide attached bathrooms.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 28, 2014
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.