The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

FAQ: Ask A Current Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by westcroat
could I get away with having a guest for 6 nights? (assuming my flat mates are ok with it?)

I don't think anyone is going to come and check if you have someone over or not
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 841
A couple of questions:

I've read somewhere that many of the lecturers cannot use the technology, turn up late / drunk for lectures, sometimes not at all, and the contact between students and tutors & lecturers is quite poor. Are these simply rumours?

I am applying to do languages but I am also a musician. Are the music facilities available for all students and are there music societies?

Thanks a lot
Original post by maximoose
A couple of questions:

I've read somewhere that many of the lecturers cannot use the technology, turn up late / drunk for lectures, sometimes not at all, and the contact between students and tutors & lecturers is quite poor. Are these simply rumours?

I am applying to do languages but I am also a musician. Are the music facilities available for all students and are there music societies?

Thanks a lot

1) what technology you referring to? You can turn up late, its upto the lecture, but generally its ok, not sure about drunkness but the lecturer wouldn't notice unless your out of order. Contact depends entirely on the course.
2)There is a building with a floor for music I recall, where people go and practice, etc
Original post by maximoose
A couple of questions:

Thanks a lot

1) Honestly these are definitely rumours! The technology this year was changing with new lecture halls etc, so it took a bit of getting used to. Lecturers in my course (BA English) are ALWAYS early, and we always get a *******ing if we're late. Everyone is usually around 10 minutes early. Contact time is shorter for some courses (for example, I only have 8 hours lecture/seminar per week) HOWEVER if you ask for it, it is there. The staff in my experience are great in terms of extra meetings, help, and communication. Some people are great at working by themselves, but others need a bit more guidance. If you're one of those people, just ask! As a language student I'm fairly sure you get a lot more contact hours.

2) There is a music society. I've not joined, as I'm just a singer. But they do concerts quite often, and I'm sure you'll be able to find like-minded people. They'll be at the Freshers' Fair.
Hahaha it asterisked my comment on lecturers telling us off.
Reply 845
HI, guys! Im going to study Foundation course this year. Can you tell me what students usually wear and how many hours the lectures usually last?
Thanks
Original post by BOHDANA
HI, guys! Im going to study Foundation course this year. Can you tell me what students usually wear and how many hours the lectures usually last?
Thanks

You wear what you want, nothing formal, everyone has their own style of clothing.
Lectures can last from anything from 1 to 2 hours as far as I know, usually a break in the longer lecture times :smile:
If anyone wants any questions on Maths based degrees at QMUL, quote me & I'll be happy to help. :smile:
Reply 848
Question 1: How would Queen Mary view these pretty darn awful GCSEs?

Eng Lang: B (re-marking)
Eng Lit: A (re-marking)
Bio: A
Chem: B
Phy: B
Maths: C (re-sitting in year 12)
R.E.: A
History: B
German: C
Art: D
Catering: A

Question 2: If I fail at getting a B in year 12 Maths, how will QM view my C in GCSE Maths?

My A Levels will be: Biology (GCSE A) Eng Lit (GCSE A) R.S (GCSE A) History (GCSE B) EPQ, General Studies (I know it's pretty much worthless but it's compulsory). I also have several law related work experiences as well as volunteering for Books for Amnesty and the Citizens Advice Bureau. Also have DofE but that's pretty much mehh for Unis haha :smile:

I will be applying for Law.

Question 3: While on topic, how is the law department at QMUL?

Thanks! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
how strict are QMs halls? I know they have guidelines and restrictions written on having guests staying over but do they actually apply these?
Reply 850
Original post by ohohnicolio
how strict are QMs halls? I know they have guidelines and restrictions written on having guests staying over but do they actually apply these?

In a word no. There's only a few subwardens per block and the only thing they do is fire alarm roll calls and coming to your flat if you're being too noisy. Theoretically speaking, if your flatmates didn't care, you could have someone stay for a whole year and as long as the cleaners didn't notice, QMUL would never know. So to get back to your question, if you want friends over for a couple days to stay in your room don't bother registering them, it's a pointless bit of hassle, I never did.
Original post by ajp100688
In a word no. There's only a few subwardens per block and the only thing they do is fire alarm roll calls and coming to your flat if you're being too noisy. Theoretically speaking, if your flatmates didn't care, you could have someone stay for a whole year and as long as the cleaners didn't notice, QMUL would never know. So to get back to your question, if you want friends over for a couple days to stay in your room don't bother registering them, it's a pointless bit of hassle, I never did.

Thanks very much :smile: Just know a few people going to Queens in Belfast and it's impossible to get guests in. Am glad to hear it isn't like that!
Reply 852
Super urgent question: Starting computer science soon, wondering if I even need to consider textbooks in my budget? If so, how much money will I need to spend on books and stuff during first year?
Original post by Karolin
Super urgent question: Starting computer science soon, wondering if I even need to consider textbooks in my budget? If so, how much money will I need to spend on books and stuff during first year?

For computer science, no, because all the programming stuff to help you out in provided on a certain website with examples, etc, which will be given to you in a booklet for procedural programming.
Programming generally doesn't require the books, to be honest they can be more confusing.
The other things you do are probability/maths kinda modules, once again you don't really need books at all....all the stuff will have examples available from the module page, etc.
Reply 854
Original post by Iqbal007
For computer science, no, because all the programming stuff to help you out in provided on a certain website with examples, etc, which will be given to you in a booklet for procedural programming.
Programming generally doesn't require the books, to be honest they can be more confusing.
The other things you do are probability/maths kinda modules, once again you don't really need books at all....all the stuff will have examples available from the module page, etc.

Brilliant!!! Thank you!
Reply 855
What's the maths course like? In terms of modules it doesn't seem Queen mary offers Real Analysis which seems to be offered pretty much every else.

How hard would it be to make friend seeing as I'd be commuting and would be studying Maths :biggrin:
Original post by TDL
What's the maths course like? In terms of modules it doesn't seem Queen mary offers Real Analysis which seems to be offered pretty much every else.

How hard would it be to make friend seeing as I'd be commuting and would be studying Maths :biggrin:

From my time, I thought it was pretty good. I went down the more statistical side to Maths but there are quite a few 3rd year modules that do really "push" you & offer you an insight into the top level of maths. But of course if you are comparing to the top uni's such as Imperial; the level is way lower.

And regards to making friends, the maths department is pretty big, especially in the first year. I commuted too & it is pretty easy to fit in.
Reply 857
Original post by jstarunited
From my time, I thought it was pretty good. I went down the more statistical side to Maths but there are quite a few 3rd year modules that do really "push" you & offer you an insight into the top level of maths. But of course if you are comparing to the top uni's such as Imperial; the level is way lower.

And regards to making friends, the maths department is pretty big, especially in the first year. I commuted too & it is pretty easy to fit in.

Thanks for replying.

Was it easy to find a job after graduating? (If you don't mind answering)
Original post by TDL
Thanks for replying.

Was it easy to find a job after graduating? (If you don't mind answering)

Depends how flexible you are / what line you want to go down. But times are indeed still tough; am still waiting for the right role to come along.
Reply 859
Original post by jstarunited
Depends how flexible you are / what line you want to go down. But times are indeed still tough; am still waiting for the right role to come along.

Thanks for replying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending